White Sox "actively seeking" packages for Robert

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If there is one thing I'd be happy about seeing him leave it's that a player like that doesn't deserve this.

To be fair, a piece of the blame for this mess is because he and his teammates can't stay on the field for a decent period of time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I’ve been trying to catch up with this thread,  but it just keeps getting longer.

Can someone let me know if it’s worth catching up on, or is it the same handful a posters making and re-making the same points without any openness to the other side’s argument?

Just now, Milkman delivers said:

I’ve been trying to catch up with this thread,  but it just keeps getting longer.

Can someone let me know if it’s worth catching up on, or is it the same handful a posters making and re-making the same points without any openness to the other side’s argument?

No.  Don't waste your time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Milkman delivers said:

That

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, a piece of the blame for this mess is because he and his teammates can't stay on the field for a decent period of time 

In his worst season he put up 2.2 fWAR, so solid starter production in 100 games. A smart team would have had a backup not injury prone (so not Adam Engel) capable of stepping in and filling in for 50 games and producing .5 WAR or so making overall the position a strong one.

Luis Robert is the absolute last problem with this team, injuries or otherwise. It isn't his fault that other players got hurt and/or sucked.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

In his worst season he put up 2.2 fWAR, so solid starter production in 100 games. A smart team would have had a backup not injury prone (so not Adam Engel) capable of stepping in and filling in for 50 games and producing .5 WAR or so making overall the position a strong one.

Luis Robert is the absolute last problem with this team, injuries or otherwise. It isn't his fault that other players got hurt and/or sucked.

Sure but you need to Luis to be giving you a good 5 WAR and 140 games a year.  The others aren't his fault, but dude barely clears the Eloy level for staying on the field.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

It's the same usual folks going back and forth. Don't bother.

• Thanks 1

I think he winds up in Seattle or Philly. I think its full blown firesale at the deadline Robert, Crochet, Fedde. Pham, and Dejong will bring back lotto tickets.

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

There really is no news, other than Getz being open to trading everyone on the roster including Robert.  The last specific news on the trade front was that the Padres were interested in Crochet.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, beautox said:

I think he winds up in Seattle or Philly.

As the Sox continue to Sox, I find myself more and more just rooting for individual players. Would love it for Robert if he ended up on that Philly juggernaut and got more national exposure and success. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, beautox said:

I think he winds up in Seattle or Philly. I think its full blown firesale at the deadline Robert, Crochet, Fedde. Pham, and Dejong will bring back lotto tickets.

When Getz calls teams offering Fedde, Pham and DeJong he'll be laughed at and offered a steak dinner at Ruth Criss for each. Robert and Crochet and maybe even Leasure who allegedly has potential might bring back alleged good players though. Eloy might bring a snack and hot coffee at Starbucks.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Apparently Robert is blocking a lot of White Sox fans on twitter, including myself lol and I have never tweeted at him or of him.

He also sent out a tweet saying "Be patient.  Better things are coming"

I’m glad someone sees light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted (edited)

This is the stupidity of our GM. We trade Cease after a down year for pennies on the dollar we could have moved Robert earlier for a much better return held onto him and now shopping him when his value is at his lowest.

I wanted to move Robert. In the f'n offseason. I wanted to keep Cease and see if he could rebound. Why can't the Whitesox ever do anything right. Other teams know how to sell high. They don't wait until their assets are at the lowest point and then say golly gee now is the time to move them.

Are we doomed to forever have an incompetent FO?

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

This is the stupidity of our GM. We trade Cease after a down year for pennies on the dollar we could have moved Robert earlier for a much better return held onto him and now shopping him when his value is at his lowest.

I wanted to move Robert. In the f'n offseason. I wanted to keep Cease and see if he could rebound. Why can't the Whitesox ever do anything right. Other teams know how to sell high. They don't wait until their assets are at the lowest point and then say golly gee now is the time to move them.

Are we doomed to forever have an incompetent FO?

As long as you have the current owner around the answer is yes. 

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

When Getz calls teams offering Fedde, Pham and DeJong he'll be laughed at and offered a steak dinner at Ruth Criss for each. Robert and Crochet and maybe even Leasure who allegedly has potential might bring back alleged good players though. Eloy might bring a snack and hot coffee at Starbucks.

The thing that scares me is can Getz get fair value for the guys that we can trade and someone wants, honestly I have no faith in Getz to accomplish that feat.

Posted (edited)

There are different ways to improve the team. Trading star players for prospects seems to be the most popular, but there are risks in doing that. Recall the Chris Sale trade. Another way is to keep the most talented players and pitchers you have and look to add talent from the farm system and free agency.  I like a few players that came up so far (Ramos, Lopez, Ellis, Colas). The starting rotation has been improved, although that is hard to see with the record this season. The tendency with a losing team might be to shed talented players, especially those that have under-performed, but I would prefer to see a little patience before deciding to tank the roster.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, tray said:

There are different ways to improve the team. Trading star players for prospects seems to be the most popular, but there are risks in doing that. Recall the Chris Sale trade. Another way is to keep the moist talented players and pitchers you have and look to add talent from the farm system and free agency.  I like a few players that came up so far (Ramos, Lopez, Ellis, Colas). The starting rotation has been improved, although that is hard to see with the record this season. The tendency with a losing team might be to shed talented players, especially those that have under-performed, but I would prefer to see a little patience before deciding to tank the roster.

You have to have your talent level to a certain point before you can choose a direction. A couple of years ago we were sort of at that crossroads now the direction has been chosen for us.

I don't want to move Robert right now because we are not going to get the kind of return back we should and we only have so many of these guys we can move that have the chance of getting large packages back.

The best case scenario is Robert starts lighting the MLB on fire shortly. We have what almost two months until the deadline still time for him to convince teams he is going to be the player to put him over the top.

But if continues to struggle then no I am not moving him.

Edited by wrathofhahn

17 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He's an all star CF with double plus defense and double plus power under control for 3.5 years. They don't grow on trees.

You're damn right I'm going to shred Getz if he doesn't get 3 Top 100s including one Top 10.

If Robert has a strong month and a half and shows he's back, they absolutely need to get a massive return. 

If they get lowballed, then hold onto him till the offseason.

The return for Cease was approximately 44m SV. 

I want alot more than that. 

Alot more. Like about 70m SV.

He's made 1 All -Star team in the only season he's ever managed to play more than 98 games. He's made of glass like Eloy. Now hes a huge risk to hurt himself just sprinting in the OF and running the bases . What's his percentage of games played out of possible games played ? 50-55% ?

I can't see how anyone thinks a broken down sports car that has good possibility of blowing up turning corners at high speed or just going full speed for a few miles is worth everything you think it is.

What good is speed and power if it's hurt half the time ? Not sure what double plus speed and power is. It's highly doubtful he's as fast as he used to be with his multiple hip injuries. 38 HR last year ,great. 39 combined in other injury filled 3.5 seasons plus the shortened 2020 season.

Also I'd like to know which teams have you identified as willing to give up the talent you think should be coming back for him.

The option years in 26 and 27 are $20M per season . The Sox would probably be thrilled to let some other team figure out if it's really worth it to have so much  injury prone superstar potential around and hope he can play over 100 games and be healthy for the playoffs.

If he's traded at the deadline buyers are taking on a possible $61M or perhaps just about $21M for the rest of this year and 2025 . He could very well be a FA for the 2026 season. His bat better wake up soon and body remain uninjured for the next month + if they want get a buyer.

I frankly doubt it's going to happen. Then it's the off-season to try again and if still no " haul"  it's back to seeing if Robert can actually have an uninjured and productive 1st half when he's usually a slow starter and injury prone. Good luck with that at the 2025 trade deadline . Better hope he's playing at the mythical All Star level he's reached once so far or it's now time to decline the option and get nothing for him or figure out if he's worth the $20M for 2026.

Posted (edited)

Following up: White Sox give notice of first staff reductions (soxmachine.com)

Still can't find the numbers for the Sox "massive" cuts this past offseason...has anyone like perhaps Fegan or Greenberg reported them?

This details the large cuts caused by the pandemic "losses," but hasn't been followed up with since they axed Williams and Hahn and Haber and went to a totally new front office, at least in terms of figureheads.

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It's funny how he hasn't developed anything, but as soon as he's put in charge, 2 of our minor league teams are ranked in the top 5 of all affiliated minor league teams in organized baseball. And our pitching development is beginning to be recognized by national guys. 

I guess it's fun to flog a meme. Paying attention to reality developing right before your eyes is a little harder. 

Which two are ranked top 5 and based on what criteria?

48 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If this is truly the case. I am done. At least until Jerry dies. I can't take this anymore. 

I dont get this, it's undeniably the best thing the organization can do for its self. Moving him and getting a big haul could set the team up for a long time. 

• Like 1