Cannon up, Woodford out

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

Hey Cavan Biggio Dfa by the jays would anybody take flyer? He's better than Michael chavis

Is he really much better.  I see the same picture 

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I mean he hasn't been good but why use BA to make the argument. It isn't the 90's anymore.

He's had a positive WAR every year in the bigs. Worth a spot on the roster at least. The question is does the FO want to take a flyer on a guy making 4.2M

Edited by wrathofhahn

4 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I mean he hasn't been good but why use BA to make the argument. It isn't the 90's anymore.

He's had a positive WAR every year in the bigs. Worth a spot on the roster at least. The question is does the FO want to take a flyer on a guy making 4.2M

Depends on how the team sees the Sosas of the org.

I’m all for dumpster diving for flippable assets, but nothing is a cheaper cost basis than some young cost-controlled player who can do just as good a job as the $4.2MM veteran. If the org sees Sosa et al as an equivalent to Biggio, then we should play Sosa and hope for higher returns (or at least a lower sunk cost)

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Depends on how the team sees the Sosas of the org.

I’m all for dumpster diving for flippable assets, but nothing is a cheaper cost basis than some young cost-controlled player who can do just as good a job as the $4.2MM veteran. If the org sees Sosa et al as an equivalent to Biggio, then we should play Sosa and hope for higher returns (or at least a lower sunk cost)

And this is where the organization has failed so badly.  They have been utterly unable to generate even replacement level players, let alone someone who will contribute on a daily basis.  This has to change if things are going to have a chance at turning around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And this is where the organization has failed so badly.  They have been utterly unable to generate even replacement level players, let alone someone who will contribute on a daily basis.  This has to change if things are going to have a chance at turning around.

I see what is happening in Birmingham, and, if they are actually committing to a strategy of letting players develop as a unit or learn how to win or whatever, it at least gives me hope that Getz might be doing / directing something properly.

But yes - generally speaking, our system has produced trash.

On 6/8/2024 at 10:35 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s 29 and not very good.  Getz should be looking for younger player claims.

Yeah no we are unlikely to find young talent floating the DFA waiver wire.

Baggio does have a couple of things going for him. He is patient at the plate. He does have another year of control if he plays well. He is better than what we have internally. The only reason not to claim him is he makes 4M.

If the Jays think noone claims him you can work out a deal maybe have them eat a bit of that contract but if they feel he'll be claimed then you sort of have to make a decision. I mean he makes essentially Lopez money and he is better so why not if he plays well he'll have a bit of value at the deadline if not then you really are not losing much other than a few million.

6 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Yeah no we are unlikely to find young talent floating the DFA waiver wire.

Baggio does have a couple of things going for him. He is patient at the plate. He does have another year of control if he plays well. He is better than what we have internally. The only reason not to claim him is he makes 4M.

If the Jays think noone claims him you can work out a deal maybe have them eat a bit of that contract but if they feel he'll be claimed then you sort of have to make a decision. I mean he makes essentially Lopez money and he is better so why not if he plays well he'll have a bit of value at the deadline if not then you really are not losing much other than a few million.

If the Sox could get him for nothing and he replaces Lopez at 2B, fine.  But he’s never been much of a hitter himself and I doubt he increases his value in 6-7 weeks before the deadline to garner much of anything in a trade.