Sox history - 50 years ago - Santo hits inside the park HR

tray

8 hours ago, tray said:

From the White Sox time machine :

https://www.mlb.com/video/ron-santo-s-inside-the-park-homer

About the only memorable thing Santo did in his one year with the team.

Guy said he couldn't stand playing for Chuck Tanner, who was absolutely a players manager and feuded with teammates including Dick Allen.

From my interview with Carlos May:

“The other time was when we got Ron Santo. He was our DH that year. (Author’s Note: 1974) We were in Chicago and it was cold and wet. Dick was hitting third, Bill (Melton) fourth and Santo fifth. Ron was back in the clubhouse, I don’t know if he was getting loose or doing something but Dick made an out and went back to the dugout.”

“As Dick was sitting down, Ron came out of the tunnel and asked him what the pitcher was throwing. Dick exploded and basically said if he wanted to know what the pitcher was throwing he should have his ass on the bench watching with the rest of us. Dick was very big when it came to the team and that everyone should be doing everything they can to win games.” 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

About the only memorable thing Santo did in his one year with the team.

Guy said he couldn't stand playing for Chuck Tanner, who was absolutely a players manager and feuded with teammates including Dick Allen.

From my interview with Carlos May:

“The other time was when we got Ron Santo. He was our DH that year. (Author’s Note: 1974) We were in Chicago and it was cold and wet. Dick was hitting third, Bill (Melton) fourth and Santo fifth. Ron was back in the clubhouse, I don’t know if he was getting loose or doing something but Dick made an out and went back to the dugout.”

“As Dick was sitting down, Ron came out of the tunnel and asked him what the pitcher was throwing. Dick exploded and basically said if he wanted to know what the pitcher was throwing he should have his ass on the bench watching with the rest of us. Dick was very big when it came to the team and that everyone should be doing everything they can to win games.” 

I believe that was Dick congratulating Ron at end of video? Probably one of the few times....  

" Dick exploded and basically said if he wanted to know what the pitcher was throwing he should have his ass on the bench watching with the rest of us."

Maybe Ron was in the bathroom or taking an insulin shot, who knows. I watched the Cubs and WSox back in the day and met Santo years later. I found him to be a very humble and gracious man who fought a lifetime battle with diabetes that ended very brutally and sorrowfully. I recall Ron doing "Santo's thing" after a win where he jumped up and clicked his heels. Having said that I also recall that he openly ripped into Don Young for making 2 misplays...an event that some point to as the beginning of the end for the '69 Cubs.  My God did they choke.

28 minutes ago, tray said:

" Dick exploded and basically said if he wanted to know what the pitcher was throwing he should have his ass on the bench watching with the rest of us."

Maybe Ron was in the bathroom or taking an insulin shot, who knows. I watched the Cubs and WSox back in the day and met Santo years later. I found him to be a very humble and gracious man who fought a lifetime battle with diabetes that ended very brutally and sorrowfully. I recall Ron doing "Santo's thing" after a win where he jumped up and clicked his heels. Having said that I also recall that he openly ripped into Don Young for making 2 misplays...an event that some point to as the beginning of the end for the '69 Cubs.  My God did they choke.

Ron went through a lot but some of it was of his own making.

I'm trying not to speak ill of someone who can't defend himself but I was told Ron was told that he had to stop drinking, that it made his diabetic situation worse. 

He didn't.

Then of course, his pandering and crying about not being admitted to the Hall of Fame, which pissed off some of the voters.

I sat next to "Moose" Skowron a few years ago at a game near the radio/TV area, I think Chris Rongey was there too. I don't remember how it came up but Moose absolutely went off on Santo, calling him every name in the book, saying he didn't deserve to be in the Hall. It actually was pretty funny and I had to force myself not to laugh out loud (well, to much anyway!)