June 9th. 3rd game of Winning Streak. Chris Flexon, Come on Down. Your turn.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, wegner said:

They seriously should just forfeit if the game is tied after 9....they have to be the absolute worst team in the history of the phantom runner extras.

It's close - the Sox are 3rd worst in extra-inning games since 2020:

1. Houston Astros: 0.370 (20-34)
2. Pittsburgh Pirates: 0.375 (18-30)
3. Chicago White Sox: 0.377 (20-33)
4. Arizona Diamondbacks: 0.391 (18-28)
5. Washington Nationals: 0.400 (16-24)

EDIT: Found this interesting... Top 5 best records in extra-inning games since 2020:
1. Cleveland Guardians: 0.594 (41-28)
2. Oakland Athletics: 0.592 (29-20)
3. New York Mets: 0.582 (32-23)
4. Philadelphia Phillies: 0.578 (37-27)
5. Cincinnati Reds: 0.571 (28-21)

Edited by dohnut
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

Masterclass in using Kopech in an easy win, only for him not to be available today

Grifol is like a travel baseball coach who has to make decisions based on rules, parents and playing favorites...and being awful at it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Grifol is like a travel baseball coach who has to make decisions based on rules, parents and playing favorites...and being awful at it. 

Why does he pinch run Ellis for Julks if he is bunting anyway?  Not hitting for Maldonado and Eliis vs. Jansen instead of Julks vs. Jansen  is an obvious downgrade and cost a better shot of adding a run. He’s a bad manager but Bob makes it seem like he’s going to at least finish the season employed.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomtom said:

And why in the world would you allow Colas to hit against a lefty.  

Korey Lee should have hit here. Colas overmatched.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I didn't see the GT yesterday. Did everyone make fun of Schriffen enough for the "vote Maldy" comment or should we do it now?

I believe it's spelled Moldy. :)

Edited by zisk
  • Haha 2

• Heads22 unfeatured this topic
57 minutes ago, zisk said:

Korey Lee should have hit here. Colas overmatched.

And do you allow Maldonado and his .072 hit in a tied game with bases loaded and 2 out. Grifol is so bad is pitiful.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Why does he pinch run Ellis for Julks if he is bunting anyway?  Not hitting for Maldonado and Eliis vs. Jansen instead of Julks vs. Jansen  is an obvious downgrade and cost a better shot of adding a run. He’s a bad manager but Bob makes it seem like he’s going to at least finish the season employed.

If Grifol finishes the season employed is because JR does not want to pay for2 managers IMO.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Julks is a pretty good base stealing threat, in his own right. And while Julks isn't that great, defensively, I don't think he needs a late innings' replacement. 

Grifol should have pinch hit for Maldonado in the 8th. Let Mendick catch the 9th. Use the guys you have to win the game you're playing. 

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

And do you allow Maldonado and his .072 hit in a tied game with bases loaded and 2 out. Grifol is so bad is pitiful.

“Maldonado does a really good job behind the plate,” Grifol said. “Still in the sixth inning, I didn’t feel I needed to pinch hit right there. He’s really valuable behind the plate, but I understand. He’s not swinging it. It’s a hot topic every time he catches it. It’s going to continue to be a hot topic, and I’m going to continue to make decisions that I feel is best for the team, not just offensively.”?

He’s 7-for-99 over 35 games with one double, one home run, and a .235 OPS. Maldonado is 1-for-46 with one RBI in his last 15 games, with his last hit coming on May 11 against Cleveland, and is hitless in his last 35 at-bats.

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He’s 7-for-99 over 35 games with one double, one home run, and a .235 OPS. Maldonado is 1-for-46 with one RBI in his last 15 games, with his last hit coming on May 11 against Cleveland, and is hitless in his last 35 at-bats.

I don’t know why you would even consider pinch hitting for him. He’s the definition of an ideal clutch hitter. The number just plain speak for themselves.

• Haha 1

today was a case for our manager being hot s%*#.

Pinch running for no good reason, not pinch hitting when the game was for the taking.

Just overall looking like a complete dumbass.

Edited by harkness99

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“Maldonado does a really good job behind the plate,” Grifol said. “Still in the sixth inning, I didn’t feel I needed to pinch hit right there. He’s really valuable behind the plate, but I understand. He’s not swinging it. It’s a hot topic every time he catches it. It’s going to continue to be a hot topic, and I’m going to continue to make decisions that I feel is best for the team, not just offensively.”?

“He’s not swinging it.”

No Pedro, Maldonado has never swung it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Holy cow. Is he really 1 for 46? Maldy has no pride apparently. Time to retire. ... Pretty routine loss. DeJong is pretty good. However I don't think he'll bring much via trade. His upside is pretty good for a dismal Sox team where he has no pressure and can try to hit 30 homers or more. Go to a good team? Me thinks he'll close the year about .120 for the new team with 5-6 homers max.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Holy cow. Is he really 1 for 46? Maldy has no pride apparently. Time to retire. ... Pretty routine loss. DeJong is pretty good. However I don't think he'll bring much via trade. His upside is pretty good for a dismal Sox team where he has no pressure and can try to hit 30 homers or more. Go to a good team? Me thinks he'll close the year about .120 for the new team with 5-6 homers max.

Nobody is trading for this gem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Julks is a pretty good base stealing threat, in his own right. And while Julks isn't that great, defensively, I don't think he needs a late innings' replacement. 

Grifol should have pinch hit for Maldonado in the 8th. Let Mendick catch the 9th. Use the guys you have to win the game you're playing. 

Ellis was picked off second v the cubs so the upgrade over Julks isn't a guarantee and its' negligible and probably less after the bunt.  It was as foolish a decision as I recall.

Lee could have stayed in to catch after pinch hitting in either occasion in which the opportunity arose.

Tanner Banks should only get a save opportunity in a game that has entered the 16th inning or later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Ellis was picked off second v the cubs so the upgrade over Julks isn't a guarantee and its' negligible and probably less after the bunt.  It was as foolish a decision as I recall.

Lee could have stayed in to catch after pinch hitting in either occasion in which the opportunity arose.

Tanner Banks should only get a save opportunity in a game that has entered the 16th inning or later.

Of course Lee should have come in. I'm just going off of Grifol saying he wanted to give Lee a full day off. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

And the dude has already somehow made 2 errors.