White Sox calling up Thorpe

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And we won't have an actual "data" on how this clubhouse is until after the trade deadline, when maybe somebody will go on a run with their new team and have to explain themselves. 

Eh, I'd expect us to play about the same. If you had a team that was maybe like 75 wins on paper maybe you'd get a dead cat bounce if you fired the manager or something, but this team I don't even see a pilot light. Maybe if Robert went on a Judge like month and hit 10 HR or something and just carried the team but short of that we're going to continue to win around a .300 pace at best. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Looks like the Sox are serious about not wanting to break the all time record for losses. They've been making a lot of moves, albeit some (many) forced by injuries. If this guy is good and pitches well he could add some excitement along with Crochet, Robert, Fedde, Pham, last night's starter.

• Haha 2

Just now, greg775 said:

Looks like the Sox are serious about not wanting to break the all time record for losses. They've been making a lot of moves, albeit some (many) forced by injuries. If this guy is good and pitches well he could add some excitement along with Crochet, Robert, Fedde, Pham, last night's starter.

Excitement up until the trade deadline when all of them are traded but Thorpe.  ?

• Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Do people realize Pham was in a bad slump when he got hurt and was down to .3 fWAR and was basically on a 1.5 fWAR pace? 

Like he's a decent player, which stands out here, but it's not like he's going to put up a 5 WAR season. There's no reason to think we won't continue this historical losing pace, especially given they seem intent on trading Robert. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I couldn't care less how great anyone thinks the clubhouse is when the record is 17-50. Apparently, it isn't that important. 

Well, according to Harold, pitchers love Maldonado. 

I only care about Crochet and Fedde, here's who caught them.

• Crochet: Lee - 8, Maldonado - 7 (including his 3 worst starts of the season). Lee has caught his last 6 starts.
  • Fedde: Lee - 9, Malonado - 5

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Paper Bag 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, according to Harold, pitchers love Maldonado. 

I only care about Crochet and Fedde, here's who caught them.

• Crochet: Lee - 8, Maldonado - 7 (including his 3 worst starts of the season). Lee has caught his last 6 starts.
  • Fedde: Lee - 9, Malonado - 5

Plus if most of these clowns "love" him, maybe we need to find someone who they hate because there are plenty of guys who have been so far under their potential this year.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, I'd expect us to play about the same. If you had a team that was maybe like 75 wins on paper maybe you'd get a dead cat bounce if you fired the manager or something, but this team I don't even see a pilot light. Maybe if Robert went on a Judge like month and hit 10 HR or something and just carried the team but short of that we're going to continue to win around a .300 pace at best. 

No, I'm talking about somebody spilling the beans on the 2024 clubhouse. Like, Wilson being traded, then quoted with "Man, that place is bonkers", or something like that. 

I could see this team not trading Robert or Crochet, plugging in Cannon, Thorpe...maybe Bush, getting Yoan back, and actually playing just bad baseball. Maybe after the draft and trade deadline, they even start plugging Toussaint, Bush, Eder, Adams, some of their depth, into the big club's bullpen. 

With or without Cristian Mena, I’m very excited about the future of this pitching staff. Haven’t seen this type of pitching depth in the minors in a long time. Hopefully Thorpe is a mainstay in the rotation for the next 10 years. Also, can’t wait to see what young pitchers the Sox bring in next month during the draft and TDL trades.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

With or without Cristian Mena, I’m very excited about the future of this pitching staff. Haven’t seen this type of pitching depth in the minors in a long time. Hopefully Thorpe is a mainstay in the rotation for the next 10 years. Also, can’t wait to see what young pitchers the Sox bring in next month during the draft and TDL trades.

I’m super excited as well, but we kicked off the rebuild with a pretty insane group of pitching prospects.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yeah the sooner they flush this trash out of here and start giving the young guys longer looks it will at least be enjoyable to watch even if they lose.

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m super excited as well, but we kicked off the rebuild with a pretty insane group of pitching prospects.

Cease, Kopech, Giolito, Dunning, and López were certainly very exciting but it always felt very top heavy without much depth behind them. By and large, that group panned out very well but there was absolutely nothing behind them. Now I even see interesting arms like Carela and Batista at the bottom of the T30 or guys like Gowens that are intriguing that don’t even crack the T30. I guess we’ll see but it feels like there’s more depth already and they’ll be adding again in a big way to that depth next month.

38 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah the sooner they flush this trash out of here and start giving the young guys longer looks it will at least be enjoyable to watch even if they lose.

Before the season started I didn’t want to see any of these prospects in MLB until next season but at this point if it means not having to watch the Kellers and Woodfords of the world continue starting games for the Sox I’m all for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Cease, Kopech, Giolito, Dunning, and López were certainly very exciting but it always felt very top heavy without much depth behind them. By and large, that group panned out very well but there was absolutely nothing behind them. Now I even see interesting arms like Carela and Batista at the bottom of the T30 or guys like Gowens that are intriguing that don’t even crack the T30. I guess we’ll see but it feels like there’s more depth already and they’ll be adding again in a big way to that depth next month.

Same way I feel - Sox were top heavy with multiple top 50s, then nothing really behind them. Pitching depth is VERY encouraging now. Offense still a little bare, but we'll see as guys continue to grow. It's all about development.

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Excitement up until the trade deadline when all of them are traded but Thorpe.  ?

If they trade all those guys fans need to just treat the Sox like a minor league team the rest of their lives (at MLB prices though). It'll be apparent even more than now that this is just a (bad) entertainment option not a competitive team and has ZERO chance of ever winning anything of note again. Just go to the game as if it was a minor league game, not caring who wins, just a (bad) entertainment option for a summer night. Flipping everybody will accomplish nothing except show us even moreso this is not a real sports team it's a once-in-summertime entertainment option or something to watch on TV when utterly bored of movies, talk shows.

Is Thorpe the next Jack McDowell? Give him two starts before you develop an impression of him. Give him a break, folks if he doesn't excel the first outing. Why has he been traded twice? Did the Yanks not like his velocity?

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’re missing Rodon (already in majors), Fulmer, Hansen, Adams, Pilkington, Lambert, etc.  Not saying you’re wrong by any means, but there was quite a bit young pitching at the time including eight guys who cracked top 100 lists.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re missing Rodon (already in majors), Fulmer, Hansen, Adams, Pilkington, Lambert, etc.  Not saying you’re wrong by any means, but there was quite a bit young pitching at the time including eight guys who cracked top 100 lists.

Which just goes to show that half or more of them will likely bust.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which is why continued waves of talent are so important.

lol waves.  Let me check with the boys in the development department.  Got 4 more coaches working on it!

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Crochet is basically our Rodon from then. I see what you’re saying about the other guys but we’ll have another 4-5 names to follow after next month’s draft in the same vein as Fulmer, Hansen, etc.