2024 WNBA Thread

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not just Reese. The entire league seems to be on a jealousy trip regarding CC. She's almost averaging a triple double despite a couple really bad games from a production standpoint. Do a search on youtube and virtually all the podcasters agree with greg. So please don't make it seem like I'm an outlier on this issue of Clark getting clobbered. I can start linking stuff if u want. Again podcast after podcast agreeing with my stance on the alleged headhunting. As far as Reese see what Dan Patrick said today. She's a fine player but truly nothing special in terms of talent. CC has a talent kids notice ... 3s from the logo. Reese 33 percent shooter patrick said. She's a fine player as evidenced by her double double averages.

Podcaster vs people who actually are playing the game.  Hmmmmmm.  

And yes, plenty of people with an incentive for clicks are saying it.  Weird right.  But the people actually involved said it was nothing.   Who to believe...

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not just Reese. The entire league seems to be on a jealousy trip regarding CC. She's almost averaging a triple double despite a couple really bad games from a production standpoint. Do a search on youtube and virtually all the podcasters agree with greg. So please don't make it seem like I'm an outlier on this issue of Clark getting clobbered. I can start linking stuff if u want. Again podcast after podcast agreeing with my stance on the alleged headhunting. As far as Reese see what Dan Patrick said today. She's a fine player but truly nothing special in terms of talent. CC has a talent kids notice ... 3s from the logo. Reese 33 percent shooter patrick said. She's a fine player as evidenced by her double double averages and plays for the great town of Chicago.

Well, one thing is that the three or four "other" most famous white players in Plum, Stewart (has a partner), Sabrina Ionescu...weren't exactly greeted in the same way as Clark has been.  They had it tough, but to the point that Clark has been pressured or face guarded full court MORE THAN MANY INDIVIDUAL WNBA teams if you add up all the players on those teams and how they're matched up with defensively.

Cameron Brink (LA) and next year Paige Bueckers as the likely #1 pick overall out of UConn aren't going to face anything like this either, because they've both been outspoken about "white privilege" and received acceptance for their political positions across the WNBA.

Clark has never expressed it that way, although she gave tremendous respect for Maya Moore, Cheryl Miller and Lynette Woodard, etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kevin-durant-says-were-better-212802370.html

He didn't name any names, though.

"I think she’s going to definitely be on one of these teams going forward but right now, there were better candidates out there," Durant explained during the appearance alongside his Boardroom partner, Rich Kleiman.

Sabrina Ionescu, Brittney Griner, Kelsey Plum and Diana Taurasi are among the WNBA stars selected for Team USA's 2024 roster.

Related: Serena Williams Encourages Caitlin Clark to 'Continue Doing What She’s Doing’ and Avoid Critics

He shared praise for the WNBA as well and their work "showcasing" the no. 1 overall pick. "The WNBA is doing a great job of showcasing her. I see her games on ESPN every other day," Durant said,

"I see her in talks around, no matter what they’re talking about, there's a lot of dialogue around the game right now, so that's good as well."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-wnba-owner-kelly-loeffler-090009007.html

Greg will love this one, it's from Fox News.

In all fairness to Loeffler, she really did (not mentioned) get screwed out of a huge increase in the value of all the WNBA franchises after she was forced to sell out of the Dream stake.

Teams like the Seattle Storm went from something like a $13 million valuation to somewhere in the $125-140 million range over the last 12 months alone.

Former Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler, who co-owned the Atlanta Dream from 2011 to 2021, told Fox News Digital the rookie sensation has been widely celebrated because "she's 100% basketball."

"She's not about politics," Loeffler said. "That's what people want when they purchase tickets, when they spend their family's hard-earned money and time to go to a game. They want to see pure athletic competition, the best of the best. And I think Caitlin is the best chance to get back to that."

Loeffler may be the best-known owner of a WNBA squad after her Dream players revolted against her Republican politics in 2020. After she was appointed to an open Georgia Senate seat in 2019, she spoke out against the WNBA's embrace of Black Lives Matter during her run in a special election the following year. In return, her players sported t-shirts supporting her Democratic opponent Raphael Warnock, creating a media frenzy.

The irony here is that while Clark is not about politics, Loeffler most certainly is, as the "right" wing of the political spectrum continues to appropriate her for their own culture wars.

Cameron Brink just hurt her knee tonight against CT.

Going to be a lot of clamoring for Clark to replace her on the roster if she's unable to play.

Of course, there's a long history between Van Lith and Clark in the NCAA tourney, dating back to Louisville ("You can't see me" Cena move) and LSU this last season, where Hailey got torched defensively.

Colorado Springs (USA) - USA Basketball announced today, June 5, the 2024 USA Basketball 3x3 Women’s National Team, which will compete at the Olympic Games Paris 2024. The four-member roster includes Cameron Brink (LA Sparks), Cierra Burdick (31, Valencia/Spain), Rhyne Howard (Atlanta Dream) and Hailey Van Lith (TCU). The roster was selected by the USA Basketball 3x3 Women’s National Team Committee.

CBS drew the best WNBA game audience in 23 years around the second meeting of Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese, with the Chicago Sky-Indiana Fever game on Sunday at noon ET delivering 2.25 million viewers.7小时前
Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-wnba-owner-kelly-loeffler-090009007.html

Greg will love this one, it's from Fox News.

In all fairness to Loeffler, she really did (not mentioned) get screwed out of a huge increase in the value of all the WNBA franchises after she was forced to sell out of the Dream stake.

Teams like the Seattle Storm went from something like a $13 million valuation to somewhere in the $125-140 million range over the last 12 months alone.

Former Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler, who co-owned the Atlanta Dream from 2011 to 2021, told Fox News Digital the rookie sensation has been widely celebrated because "she's 100% basketball."

"She's not about politics," Loeffler said. "That's what people want when they purchase tickets, when they spend their family's hard-earned money and time to go to a game. They want to see pure athletic competition, the best of the best. And I think Caitlin is the best chance to get back to that."

Loeffler may be the best-known owner of a WNBA squad after her Dream players revolted against her Republican politics in 2020. After she was appointed to an open Georgia Senate seat in 2019, she spoke out against the WNBA's embrace of Black Lives Matter during her run in a special election the following year. In return, her players sported t-shirts supporting her Democratic opponent Raphael Warnock, creating a media frenzy.

The irony here is that while Clark is not about politics, Loeffler most certainly is, as the "right" wing of the political spectrum continues to appropriate her for their own culture wars.

I wish I was a world class athlete or get to be one in a future life so I can drive everybody crazy by saying "no comment" about any question about politics or sexual orientation or race or homelessness or anything except my team's play. Somebody tells me to wear a T shirt supporting the opponent of my team owner ... I smile and say, 'You got the wrong person here. Not gonna do it (Dana Carvey accent).'

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wish I was a world class athlete or get to be one in a future life so I can drive everybody crazy by saying "no comment" about any question about politics or sexual orientation or race or homelessness or anything except my team's play. Somebody tells me to wear a T shirt supporting the opponent of my team owner ... I smile and say, 'You got the wrong person here. Not gonna do it (Dana Carvey accent).'

Swoopes calls Caitlin Clark a bully

The fallout from the Indiana Fever's 91-83 win over the Chicago Sky was the hot topic on Gilbert Arenas' Gil's Arena show on Monday. Reese's flagrant foul on Clark for hitting her in the head, which both players dismissed as a "basketball play," led the former NBA star to make some comments that Swoopes didn't appreciate on the show.

"With Angel, she's rugged. She's a rugged girl. She's built for trying to bully," Arenas said. "No one feels sorry for the bully."

Swoopes proved that Arenas was correct, because she claimed Clark is more of a bully than Reese on the court, and felt zero sympathy for the No. 1 draft pick. In response to Reese's foul and the resulting coverage, she said, "We can't make it seem like she was assaulted." Swoopes also stated she does not think the Chi Town Barbie is a bully at all.

https://www.marca.com/en/basketball/wnba/indiana-fever/2024/06/18/6671a43d22601dd5318b45bd.html

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/caitlin-clark-becomes-fastest-wnba-205555386.html

With her performance against the Sky, Clark became the fastest player in WNBA history to record 200-plus points, 75-plus rebounds and 75-plus assists.

Through the first 15 games of her WNBA career, Clark has tallied 242 points, 93 assists and 76 rebounds. Clark also has 19 steals and 15 blocks on the season.

It’s already been a season of history making for Clark. During Clark and the Fever’s victory earlier in the season over the Chicago Sky on June 1, Clark joined Ionescu as the only players in WNBA history to register 150-plus points, 50-plus rebounds and 50-plus assists in their first 10 career games.

Clark accomplished another bit of WNBA history in the Fever’s Sunday win over the Sky. Clark joined Breanna Stewart as the first WNBA rookie with 15-plus points, five-plus rebounds and five-plus assists in five games since Stewart did so in the 2016 season.

Caitlin Clark is the third WNBA rookie to record 20/5/5 at least five times. Joins Tamika Catchings (6) and Diana Taurasi (5).

Edited by caulfield12

Women's Basketball Gold Medal Winner (current betting odds)

USA Basketball is expected to name a replacement for Cameron Brink before the games start next month.

One player who won't replace her is Indiana guard Caitlin Clark, as her name is not in the 3x3 team Olympic selecting pool. Brink's spot will also need to be filled with another player at her position.

yahoo sports

Edited by caulfield12

Rank, Player, Team, Positional Rank (Last week's rank)
1. A'ja Wilson, LV, F1 (LW: 1) Oly
2. Breanna Stewart, NY, F2 (LW: 2) Oly
3. Arike Ogunbowale, Dal, G1 (LW: 3)
4. Napheesa Collier, Min, F3 (LW: 4) Oly
5. Alyssa Thomas, Conn, F4 (LW: 5) Oly
6. Jewell Loyd, Sea, G2 (LW: 6) Oly
7. Caitlin Clark, Ind, G3 (LW: 9) alternate
8. Sabrina Ionescu, NY, G4 (LW: 11) Oly
9. Ezi Magbegor, Sea, C1 (LW: 12)
10. Jackie Young, LV, G5 (LW: 7) Oly
11. Nneka Ogwumike, Sea, F5 (LW: 10)
12. Rhyne Howard, Atl, G6 (LW: ?
13. Dearica Hamby, LA, F6 (LW: 21)
14. Kahleah Copper, Phx, G7 (LW: 14)
15. Kelsey Plum, LV, G8 (LW: 13) Oly
16. Skylar Diggins-Smith, Sea, G9 (LW: 15)
17. DeWanna Bonner, Conn, F7 (LW: 17)
18. Jonquel Jones, NY, F8 (LW: 18)
19. Marina Mabrey, Chi, G10 (LW: 16)
20. Aliyah Boston, Ind, F9 (LW: 19) alternate
21. Allisha Gray, Atl, G11 (LW: 20)
22. Brittney Sykes, Wsh, G12 (LW: 22)
23. Cameron Brink, LA, F10 (LW: 23) out of Olympics
24. Natasha Cloud, Phx, G13 (LW: 25)
25. Kelsey Mitchell, Ind, G14 (LW: 26)
26. Courtney Williams, Min, G15 (LW: 24)
27. Kayla McBride, Min, G16 (LW: 32)
28. Cheyenne Parker-Tyus, Atl, F11 (LW: 27)
29. Natasha Howard, Dal, F12 (LW: 30)
30. Brionna Jones, Conn, C2 (LW: 29) Olympic alternate
31. NaLyssa Smith, Ind, F13 (LW: 34)
32. Elizabeth Williams, Chi, C3 (LW: 31)
33. Ariel Atkins, Wsh, G17 (LW: 33)
34. Teaira McCowan, Dal, C4 (LW: 36)
35. Betnijah Laney-Hamilton, NY, F14 (LW: 38)
36. Alanna Smith, Min, F15 (LW: 35)
37. Courtney Vandersloot, NY, G18 (LW: 28)
38. Diana Taurasi, Phx, G19 (LW: 37) Oly
39. Tina Charles, Atl, C5 (LW: 39)
40. Brittney Griner, Phx, C6 (LW: 54) Oly
41. Lexie Brown, LA, G20 (LW: 40)
42. Shakira Austin, Wsh, C7 (LW: 41)
43. DiJonai Carrington, Conn, G21 (LW: 42)
44. Aaliyah Edwards, Wsh, F16 (LW: 47)
45. Rickea Jackson, LA, F17 (LW: 43)
46. Angel Reese, Chi, F18 (LW: 46)
47. Rebecca Allen, Phx, G22 (LW: 45)
48. Dana Evans, Chi, G23 (LW: 44)
49. Maddy Siegrist, Dal, F19 (LW: 49)
50. Monique Billings, Dal, F20 (LW: 48

PG for Phoenix on Olympic team to debut this week…

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/20/business/ticket-prices-caitlin-clark-reese-rematch/index.html

CNN — 

This weekend’s rematch between basketball rivals Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese is breaking more records before it even begins.

Ticket prices for Clark’s Indiana Fever and Reese’s Chicago Sky are the most expensive for a WNBA game ever, according to TickPick, with the average hovering at around $253 — 187% higher than the Sky’s average purchase price of $88. Currently, the cheapest seat just to see the game is around $250 with the most expensive ticket on sale going for more than $9,000.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/20/business/ticket-prices-caitlin-clark-reese-rematch/index.html

CNN — 

This weekend’s rematch between basketball rivals Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese is breaking more records before it even begins.

Ticket prices for Clark’s Indiana Fever and Reese’s Chicago Sky are the most expensive for a WNBA game ever, according to TickPick, with the average hovering at around $253 — 187% higher than the Sky’s average purchase price of $88. Currently, the cheapest seat just to see the game is around $250 with the most expensive ticket on sale going for more than $9,000.

Testament to Aja Wilson, current MVP favorite, she's barely first over Clark in early All Star balloting.

Griner low, Taurasi not even Top 30.

6 White hoopers in Top 12.

The funniest one is Kate Martin at 4.5 ppg for LV but hardly playing now. At least no Megan Gustafson.

Go Hawkeye Nation!

https://sports.yahoo.com/aja-wilson-caitlin-clark-top-initial-round-of-fan-voting-for-wnba-all-star-game-185938379.html

July 20th is going to be fun.  All-Star Game in Phoenix, home to Taurasi/Griner as well.

JUST IN:  Atlanta Dream is moving tonight's game from their regular court (Gateway Center Arena - capacity 3,500) to the NBA court (State Farm Arena - capacity 19,050). Just saw on their news that they're expecting a sellout crowd w/ standing room only. That's massive.

Edited by caulfield12

• Quin changed the title to 2024 WNBA Thread

I think a lot of the "hate" back and forth with the vets/Olympians was finally healed over the weekend.

Griner/Taurasi reaching out to Clark before the game, and Diana showered her with all kinds of praise afterwards.

It's not over completely, but that acceptance is so big for the entire league (and fan factions) to move on to "what's next?"

Then last year's champions the LV Aces the next opponent, where you have Kate Martin (former Iowa teammate, best friend) and A'ja Wilson waiting.  The best player in the NBA and the rising star whose play the last 2-3 weeks is making even doubters start to get back on board the bandwagon.

I also think the grumbling about Clark making the All-Star Game is going to be much much quieter than it would have been less than a month ago.   Part of that is simply the fact her team is growing up by the week and again occupies the #8 playoff spot as of today (just ahead of Chicago), last year the Fever were 13-27.

8-12 sounds "bad," but they were 1-8 to start out, or 1-9, something like that...and they played Seattle a really tight game, as well as Connecticut, earlier in the season.  That was their first victory over a team with a .500+ record, in fact.

Now the only "revenge" tour aspect left for Clark is Olympic Head Coach Cheryl Reeve...and every match-up with Angel Reese, whether we are getting tired of it or not, all three games have been nailbiters.

Went to the game yesterday. Reese didn’t have a good game but love the way she plays, Cardoso though has a long way to go. You wouldn’t be able to tell she’s often the biggest on the floor, not even sure she can elevate an inch. She kept throwing the ball into the bottom of the rim. Was not impressed at all

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Went to the game yesterday. Reese didn’t have a good game but love the way she plays, Cardoso though has a long way to go. You wouldn’t be able to tell she’s often the biggest on the floor, not even sure she can elevate an inch. She kept throwing the ball into the bottom of the rim. Was not impressed at all

Reese is a baller…love her or hate her.  Few in between opinions.

Cardoso needs to be more like Britney Griner and agility/athleticism, but lacks the sound shooting form.  She makes 75-80% of her shots within 8 feet of the rim.  Still working on a turnaround.  Hard time keeping her arms vertical on D.

Carter is the most talented yet enigmatic player on that team.

Mabrey the most solid…but certainly not dynamic.

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Reese is a baller…love her or hate her.  Few in between opinions.

Cardoso needs to be more like Britney Griner and agility/athleticism, but lacks the sound shooting form.  She makes 75-80% of her shots within 8 feet of the rim.  Still working on a turnaround.  Hard time keeping her arms vertical on D.

Carter is the most talented yet enigmatic player on that team.

Mabrey the most solid…but certainly not dynamic.

Happened to see Cardoso on a day she was like 20% around the rim (if even)

wnba All-Stars (projected)

Ogunbowale Dallas

Ogwumike Seattle

Clark

Reese

Johnquel Jones NYL

Dearica Hamby LASparks (Olympic 3X3)

Magbegor Seattle (Olympics, can't remember if it's Canada or Australia)

Mabrey Chicago

Bonner Phoenix 

Skylar Diggins Smith Seattle

Aliyah Boston Indiana

Kayla McBride Lynx

others under consideration:  Vandersloot (NY), DiJonai Carrington (CT), Howard (Dallas), R.Howard (Olympic 3X3, hurt, ATL), Kelsey Mitchell (IND), Kate Martin (because of all the Iowa votes, LASV), Brionna Jones (CT)

Posted (edited)

The Las Vegas Aces have moved their upcoming game against the Indiana Fever to T-Mobile Arena, expanding seating capacity by 33% (from 12,000 to 18,000 seats).

reports that ticket sales for this game have doubled compared to the total tickets sold for both Game 1 and Game 2 of last year's WNBA Finals in Las Vegas.

Fifth highest attendance in the WNBA's history and highest since 1999 season.

Edited by caulfield12

https://x.com/CClarkReport/status/1810851005531041903?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1810851005531041903|twgr^4d109217101a5f8d9c44a9cecd2a7aadea2472bb|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhawkeyeswire.usatoday.com%2F2024%2F07%2F10%2Fcaitlin-clark-wilson-basketball-limitless-collection-sold-out-day-one%2F

In the Caitlin Clark era, WNBA audiences that would have once qualified as milestones have become routine.

Saturday’s Liberty-Fever WNBA regular season game averaged 1.87 million viewers on CBS, marking the fifth-largest WNBA audience in the past 23 years. Each of the top five have come this season and involved Clark and the Fever.

Indiana’s win, which peaked with 2.65 million in the 2:45 PM ET quarter-hour, was the 12th WNBA game this season with a seven-figure audience — tying 2002 as the most in any season since 1997. (This article originally reported that it was the 11th, but that mistakenly omitted last Tuesday’s Fever-Aces game.) The WNBA entered this season having gone nearly 16 years without a single seven-figure audience. Clark and the Fever have played in 11 of the 12 games with a million viewers this season, and led into the lone exception — Sparks-Aces on May 18.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/07/caitlin-clark-effect-wnba-ratings-ad-revenue-rising/

Edited by caulfield12