MLB Players' Poll: White Sox second worst org after A's

Quin

6. What organizations have bad reputations among players? (Multiple answers allowed)

Of the 79 players who responded, 40 named the beleaguered Oakland Athletics as a team with a bad rep, the highest response overall. They were followed, in order, by the White Sox, Angels, Rockies, Mets, Pirates, Marlins, Rays, Padres, Yankees, Nationals and Royals.

On the White Sox:

“I’ve never heard a good thing.”

“Unlike some other bad teams, they have more potential to be good.”

“It sounds like no one wants to be there day in and day out …  like it’s a grind just to show up to the ballpark. I couldn’t imagine.”

“It’s not good over there. You can tell by how often there’s turnover that it usually means something’s going on. Players leaving the organization and automatically doing better (with their new team).”

“Poor communication.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Paper Bag 1

This sure seems to happen quite often…

“It’s not good over there. You can tell by how often there’s turnover that it usually means something’s going on. Players leaving the organization and automatically doing better (with their new team).”

• Paper Bag 2

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

“It’s not good over there. You can tell by how often there’s turnover that it usually means something’s going on. Players leaving the organization and automatically doing better (with their new team).”

What turnover though? With players? Because its certainly not with leadership and front office people.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

What turnover though? With players? Because its certainly not with leadership and front office people.

I was referring to the last sentence.  How players bomb for the Sox and go elsewhere and remember how to hit again.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I was referring to the last sentence.  How players bomb for the Sox and go elsewhere and remember how to hit again.

Yeah that definitely seems like it happens 90% of the time. I don't get the turnover comment, this is one of the places where you practically stay forever regardless of results.

“I’ve never heard a good thing.”

Yeah, that’s how I imagine everyone outside of the organization and fanbase sees us.

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jeremy Hahn and Rick Haber took a flame thrower to the entire organization.  They burned the whole damn thing to the ground.  

While this is true, nobody has done more damage to this team than JR.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

“I’ve never heard a good thing.”

Yeah, that’s how I imagine everyone outside of the organization and fanbase sees us.

While this is true, nobody has done more damage to this team than JR.

It's cute that it was only those two guys.  Makes me laugh every, single time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's cute that it was only those two guys.  Makes me laugh every, single time.

Everyone knows that it's great for culture when the GM says "I don't like our team" and then assembles the worst fielding team in the majors, the worst offensive team in the majors, and the 28th worst pitching team.

All while on track to be the worst team in history.

Edit: And he did all this while s%*# talking the division that proceeds to whoop their ass.

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Everyone knows that it's great for culture when the GM says "I don't like our team" and then assembles the worst fielding team in the majors, the worst offensive team in the majors, and the 28th worst pitching team.

Edit: And he did all this while s%*# talking the division that proceeds to whoop their ass.

He built a well-rounded team.

We DID want that, right?

• Haha 2

This will also surely rustle the jimmies

Screenshot_20240610-125425.png

“It definitely helped. All data is useful, any information. There’s value everywhere; you’ve got to look anywhere you can.”

“I think it has helped, but it depends on what analytics we are talking about. Player development or in-game situations? Player development, for sure, 100 percent. With all the technology we have, player development is huge. It’s helped me the most. But it’s hard to say with the in-game decisions.”

“It allowed the world to know I’m good at defense.”

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Quin said:

You can go ahead and add that the guy that did all this was a prized hire of the previous regime. 

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can go ahead and add that the guy that did all this was a prized hire of the previous regime. 

I often think of this quote about Eckstein from JR

"He couldn't run, he couldn't hit, he couldn't throw, he couldn't field. There was only one thing that he ever did, and that was beat you."

1. He could field. We know cause dreaded analytics loved him defensively in Anaheim.
  2. Also...he could hit?
  3. I wonder what David Eckstein thought about catching random strays.
  4. David Eckstein is literally married to a Star Wars character. Lucas' wife supposedly owns a sizable chunk of the team. Fucking embrace Star Wars, Jerry. That means embrace technology.
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

I often think of this quote about Eckstein from JR

1. He could field. We know cause dreaded analytics loved him defensively in Anaheim.
  2. Also...he could hit?
  3. I wonder what David Eckstein thought about catching random strays.
  4. David Eckstein is literally married to a Star Wars character. Lucas' wife supposedly owns a sizable chunk of the team. Fucking embrace Star Wars, Jerry. That means embrace technology.

And the first thing he did was bring in a load of his favorite JR style grindy guys, and here we are in record worst territory.  Huh, maybe there is a reason that no one in MLB has tried a team of David Ecksteins?  Nah.  They just aren't as smart as Getz.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And the first thing he did was bring in a load of his favorite JR style grindy guys, and here we are in record worst territory.  Huh, maybe there is a reason that no one in MLB has tried a team of David Ecksteins?  Nah.  They just aren't as smart as Getz.

Well, Paul DeJong isn't married to Rosario Dawson.

There's the problem.

Rick Hahn after the trade deadline last season. These guys really are clueless.

“We still have many impactful talents in Chicago. We still play in a division in which nobody has run away and hid in. Certainly, competing for the postseason is viable in 2024,” Hahn said. “In all candor, sitting here 55 minutes after the trade deadline just ended, proclaiming ‘this is how we’re going to get there in ‘24’ isn’t exactly our mission.

“Based upon what we were able to do in this year’s draft and what we’ve been able to do at the deadline, the organization is much, much stronger for ‘24 and beyond. Precisely what that looks like in terms of the big league level in ‘24, let’s get to the end of the season and assess everything.

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This quote stuck out to me too. I've been racking my brain, who's actually playing better? Is it Jake Burger or Tim Anderson? Giolito or Hendricks? Abreu? Fat Lynn has a sub-6 ERA so I guess that's a step in the right direction. Cease has rebounded from last season but his ERA is still over a point higher than it was in 2022. 

Reynaldo Lopez is the only guy I can think of who's actually doing better, but one wonders how long that'll last. If you go back far enough, maybe Marcus Semien, but that's probably more to do with the team giving up on a 23-year-old for immediate "success". 

Basically I don't think there's anything to read into here. Players picked bad teams that are often in the news for being bad or having a lot of rules, what a concept.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Bunch of nerds that never stepped foot on a field etc etc

I thought the quote about it being useful for development but not for in-game adjustments was interesting. I wonder how "analytics" influences that beyond shifts, platoons, pitch selection, things like that. which pretty much just seems like common sense and not advanced math, like, do coaches need some advanced motion-capturing system to know "hey this guy can't hit a curveball, you might want to throw him curveballs".