Willie Harris

DBAHO

Looks like Ozzie's gonna try and work some magic with big Willie style,

From Sportingnews.com

OF/IF Willie Harris will be working extensively with new manager Ozzie Guillen on bunting and using his speed as a leadoff hitter. Guillen says he would like Harris to become a player similar to Marlins CF Juan Pierre.

40-MAN ROSTER WATCH

RHP Enemencio Pacheco moved up the organization's prospect list by going 12-2 at Class AA last season. Pacheco, 25, has a mid-90s fastball and good control. He most likely will begin 2004 at Class AAA Charlotte. A starter last season, Pacheco might have the makeup and talent to be a closer. The transition could begin this year.

Looks like Ozzie's gonna try and work some magic with big Willie style,

From Sportingnews.com

OF/IF Willie Harris will be working extensively with new manager Ozzie Guillen on bunting and using his speed as a leadoff hitter. Guillen says he would like Harris to become a player similar to Marlins CF Juan Pierre.

40-MAN ROSTER WATCH

RHP Enemencio Pacheco moved up the organization's prospect list by going 12-2 at Class AA last season. Pacheco, 25, has a mid-90s fastball and good control. He most likely will begin 2004 at Class AAA Charlotte. A starter last season, Pacheco might have the makeup and talent to be a closer. The transition could begin this year.

Very good news. I knew Ozzie would try to do this and get some speed in the lineup. I think he can work with willies potential and develop him into a pretty good leadoff hitter. way to go ozz :cheers

I hope Oz knows where to cut his losses.

If Willie can't hit, don't play him all of April and May as we drop, drop, drop in

the standings.

At least platoon him.

We can't afford yet another horrific start.

I already see that being a struggle, that Oz keeps putting Willie in, and Willie consitentily hits .170. Lets hope for the best, and Willie becomes a break out.

Does this mean that we wont be getting the FA 2B???

I think we shold give Willie a shot at second base.

"DJ, I don't care what anyone says, you don't bunt .400"

If the mofo could only get on base 34% or more, he'd do a lot of damage as he appears to be the type of instinctive/dedicated baserunner (Corey Patterson, Beltran) who is very hard to throw out.

He'd drive pitchers crazy and will affect defensive alignment.

I'm in the minority when it comes to Willie Harris, but I really think that with the proper guidance and hours of hard work, he could be a good hitter. Not a batting title contender, or a .310 hitter, but a good hitter. If he could have an OBP of just .360, it would be a plus. (I hope for higher).

I would rather see Willie in CF. He seems more adept to playing there. Plus, Luis Castillo will be manning 2B for us anyway. :lolhitting

I was really excited to read this earlier:

OF/IF Willie Harris will be working extensively with new manager Ozzie Guillen on bunting and using his speed as a leadoff hitter. Guillen says he would like Harris to become a player similar to Marlins CF Juan Pierre. :snr :headbang

He'll never be Pierre, but a poor man's version will work for me. And we all know that Jerry Reinsdorf is a poor man. His payroll proves it. :fyou

i'm all for Willie getting a legit chance.

The guy was a terror for the first month in the International League. His OBP when he was promoted was better than .440.

So what happened to him in Chicago.

He got jerked around. Never got consistent PT.

The best thing the Sox could do with Willie is make an honest evaluation of his skills. Make a determination. Is he a second baseman or center fielder? Then stick him at that spot and tell him You're Our Guy and you're getting this chance to prove it.

Be nice if they could plug him in the same spot in the batting order every day, too. Second makes the most sense for now. Too much pressure hitting leadoff. But hitting second, he should be more fastballs with Frank, Maggs and Caballo coming up behind him.

Give Willie a chance.

and forget Roger Cedeno.

I forgot about his exceptional range at 2B, very good range in CF and underrated arm-  because of his quick release, Willie like, threw runners out and stuff....which is more than I could day for a certain super-armed former QB.

Ha, Borchard. If they could package Borchard and Rauch for anything with a .250 average, it would be a steal for the Sox. These two are mucho busto.

While Willie does have great range, he is not good at getting good jumps/ taking good angles on fly balls. Could be a product of his inexperience out there, or he could just suck at it. I'd kill for this guy to give me .260/.385 -- with his speed, and lefty-bat, he'd do more damage than those numbers might suggest.

He got jerked around. Never got consistent PT.

The best thing the Sox could do with Willie is make an honest evaluation of his skills. Make a determination. Is he a second baseman or center fielder?

I agree Willie deserves a consistent shot. Sorta like Rowand at the beginning of last year but hopefully he doesn't suck. Willie has shown he possesses the only tool of the "five tools" that you can't teach, speed. When Willie gets on base, he can make stuff happen and give some pitcher/catchers fits. The only problem is he needs to show more patience at the plate (like ALOT of our hitters).

Give Willie (#12, #13 whatever is number will be next year) some PT. It can't hurt to have one fast guy in our lineup next year. Too bad he can't throw very well or we could stick him at SS and not have wasted money on Jose's overrated ass.

And one more thing, I 2nd the :fyou Roger "Overpaid" Cedeno.