Max Stassi shut down for year

bmags

More wasted money. How JR keeps allowing his GM's to keep doing this for a decade now is beyond me given how "fiscally responsible" he is when it comes to pitchers and superstars. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More wasted money. How JR keeps allowing his GM's to keep doing this for a decade now is beyond me given how "fiscally responsible" he is when it comes to pitchers and superstars. 

JR doesn't really care about the money. He's trying to win now. That part is obvious. What's a mystery is what he's trying to win. It certainly isn't baseball games. 

21 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

By the way the notice from the Sox said he'd be ready for next spring training. ?

You know the Sox are paying right around the minimum for Stassi's services this year, right?

As soon as he had the setback in the Spring, I was pretty confident Stassi was never gonna play for the Sox. I feel bad for him. Seems like a good guy, but hip problems when you're a catcher is a rough deal.

• Like 1

I’m glad he gets to be paid handsomely to be with his family and not block Korey Lee’s development. Don’t have any thoughts about this, I thought ATL retained his salary or sent cash. Seemed like a “no risk, low reward” move from the start.  The issue is and always was Maldonado, any one of Chuckie, Perez, Hackenberg is probably better than him right now whereas healthy Stassi is likely better than all of the above. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

As soon as he had the setback in the Spring, I was pretty confident Stassi was never gonna play for the Sox. I feel bad for him. Seems like a good guy, but hip problems when you're a catcher is a rough deal.

Reminds me of when they picked up Matthew Lecroy at the end of his career, and he was basically shot at that point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sox only paid him league minimum with ATL covering the remander. I get what you mean, but it could have been a lot worse. This guy will never play in another MLB game again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Shocking...who didn't see this coming at his age and with how much downtime he's had in the last few years?

Just more money thrown down the drain, unless they had taken out insurance on his deal (roughly 60% payout)...

He costs about as much as the rookie minimum. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/12/11/stassi-costs-white-sox-740-000-minimum-in-2024-with-braves-sending-chicago-6-26-million/71883394007/

The way I'm reading this is $740,000 this year and it LOOKS like they're on the hook for the $500,000 buyut.

$1,240,000 wasted that could have easily gone to improving the front office/analytics/modern technology.

• 24:$7M, 25:$7.5M club option ($500,000 buyout)
  • placed on restricted list 9/2/23 (Angels will not pay salary for last 30 days of season, saving $1,129,032)
  • acquired by Atlanta in trade from LA Angels 12/8/23
  • acquired by Chicago White Sox in trade from Atlanta 12/9/23 (Braves pay White Sox $6.26M as part of the deal, with White Sox responsible for $740,000 of Stassi’s 2024 salary)
Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Eh, a full year injury to Max Stassi isn't really worth getting worked up about.  It's not like an Eloy situation where you should have known better.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He costs about as much as the rookie minimum. 

Not exactly, see details in my post here just now.

If you look at the total fWAR return on the 5 Braves' players for Bummer and then Stassi, it's going to definitely end up as a negative net fWAR for XYZ amount of money, whatever the total for Lopez, Soroka, Shuster, and Shewmake is.

All up to Gowens (whatever his name is) in the minors to make something out of this deal, positively.