From the 2nd row in Seattle: observations and s%*#

Pedro actually made me laugh when I told him he was in over his head and he responded "hey find me when the game is over" with a wry smile. I wasn't sticking around for that s%*# but at least he had a sense of humor about it.

Robert is done here. He warmed up by himself, was by himself in the dugout, and generally seemed displeased he was around this franchise. 

Deloach diving for that ball when he was 10 feet away is one of the funnier things I've seen live at a game.

Sheets and the white guy pitchers are in a big clique in the dugout. After Vaughn hit his HR I was yelling "wow, he pulled it in the air, amazing how that works" and someone around the Sheets clique yelled back "wow we got a hitting coach in the stands" to which I replied "it's common fucking knowledge you hit for more power pulling the ball.". Didn't hear anything after that.

Lee is super focused and engaged and also hit the piss out of the ball tonight. He's a keeper. He was on the railing all night and offering advice and trying to pick stuff up.

Same with Colas. I told Colas the fans believe in him and want to see him out there and he nodded and gave me a thumbs up. He was watching video with coaches pre game. 

Martin warming up is hilarious. I've never seen a guy lob it around the IF like he does. He's clearly past it. Some stupid ass mariner fan gave me s%*# for heckling him. I told her dumbass I could go out and have a 225 OPS and you wouldn't have to pay me 3.7 million. She quieted down. 

Sosa doesn't have the tools to play a MLB 3B. Weak arm, average athlete. Some hard contact at the plate. His scouting report seems accurate as upside utility guy at best. Just not a good enough defender to carry his bat, but as a backup bat could play perhaps.

Speaking of athletes, Lopez and Vaughn are two of the weakest, least athletic guys you'll find in pro sports. Lopez was also chatting with Pedro quite a bit. Like they were sitting next to each other most of the game.  Lee is fast as shown on the SB.

Vaugh has a crazy incongruitity in his bottom and top half that you can see on his side profile. His hands go in a loop and he's really fighting his lower half. He hits more weak opposite field fly balls than a guy with his talent should by then some. Hopefully he can figure it out it sure would be nice if he was a average regular. 

Katz wasn't really saying much to Thorpe. Thorpe in general seemed to have nobody in his ear or even patting him on the back (exception was Lee). The latter is strange imo. I think on a team like this guys are fearful and any decent new comer is a threat. 

Thorpe: solid. he's a pitcher, not a thrower, which alright, we can work with that if he can command his fastball more often than not. It's a little worrisome to sit around 90-91mph but coming from the left with his changeup as long as the results are there...His changeup was identical to his fb motion from what I could tell, really nice. Breaking ball wasn't there early or late. Fastball was there early but left late. But building blocks are there to work with. He had a lot of early contact (hat tip @Harold's Leg Lift) here for seeing the same thing on the broadcast on the raleigh gb. Even if guys were putting it in play, it was often weakly. Fastball got hit hard at times. Breaking ball just couldn't get over enough.

Other random stuff:

Jesus T-Mobile is a fucking rave now. Beers are more expensive in the good seats, sucks. 15 a pop up to 18 and auto 15% gratuity swung in your face. Nah sorry, zero tip at the ballpark, not if you only take plastic. 

Decent amount of Sox fans showed up. Guy in front of me was kinda a stiff but seemed to know a little bit about the team. Got a lot of nods when I held the "sell the team" sign up. 

Weather just brutal, again. There isn't a place in the US that gets more 54 degrees and chilly off the water days in summer. Even the Bay area and Chicago do better. 

Julio is an awkward player for the money they gave him. in person, Robert is smoother. Robert's ability in CF is insane. He seems to have a tracking beacon on every ball and then when he needs to he just glides. At the plate Julio and Robert are similar. Both guys tonight had no idea how the pitcher was going to attack them. The first AB 2-0 robert gets a fb down broadway from the lefty and just looks at it? Julio in his third AB just whiffing on changeups. I dunno, it's a hard sport and of those that have much, much is expected. As noted, Robert is an elite CF and maybe best in the game.  If the Mariners did trade for him I'd imagine Julio moves to RF and then Robert DH 2-3 times a week otherwise.

Julio was stupid fast down the line, his straight line speed is something but as noted he's kinda like a giraffe at times, especially on the bases.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pedro actually made me laugh when I told him he was in over his head and he responded "hey find me when the game is over" with a wry smile. I wasn't sticking around for that s%*# but at least he had a sense of humor about it.

Robert is done here. He warmed up by himself, was by himself in the dugout, and generally seemed displeased he was around this franchise. 

Deloach diving for that ball when he was 10 feet away is one of the funnier things I've seen live at a game.

Sheets and the white guy pitchers are in a big clique in the dugout. After Vaughn hit his HR I was yelling "wow, he pulled it in the air, amazing how that works" and someone around the Sheets clique yelled back "wow we got a hitting coach in the stands" to which I replied "it's common fucking knowledge you hit for more power pulling the ball.". Didn't hear anything after that.

Lee is super focused and engaged and also hit the piss out of the ball tonight. He's a keeper. He was on the railing all night and offering advice and trying to pick stuff up.

Same with Colas. I told Colas the fans believe in him and want to see him out there and he nodded and gave me a thumbs up. He was watching video with coaches pre game. 

Martin warming up is hilarious. I've never seen a guy lob it around the IF like he does. He's clearly past it. Some stupid ass mariner fan gave me s%*# for heckling him. I told her dumbass I could go out and have a 225 OPS and you wouldn't have to pay me 3.7 million. She quieted down. 

Sosa doesn't have the tools to play a MLB 3B. Weak arm, average athlete. Some hard contact at the plate. His scouting report seems accurate as upside utility guy at best. Just not a good enough defender to carry his bat, but as a backup bat could play perhaps.

Speaking of athletes, Lopez and Vaughn are two of the weakest, least athletic guys you'll find in pro sports. Lopez was also chatting with Pedro quite a bit. Like they were sitting next to each other most of the game.  Lee is fast as shown on the SB.

Vaugh has a crazy incongruitity in his bottom and top half that you can see on his side profile. His hands go in a loop and he's really fighting his lower half. He hits more weak opposite field fly balls than a guy with his talent should by then some. Hopefully he can figure it out it sure would be nice if he was a average regular. 

Katz wasn't really saying much to Thorpe. Thorpe in general seemed to have nobody in his ear or even patting him on the back (exception was Lee). The latter is strange imo. I think on a team like this guys are fearful and any decent new comer is a threat. 

Thorpe: solid. he's a pitcher, not a thrower, which alright, we can work with that if he can command his fastball more often than not. It's a little worrisome to sit around 90-91mph but coming from the left with his changeup as long as the results are there...His changeup was identical to his fb motion from what I could tell, really nice. Breaking ball wasn't there early or late. Fastball was there early but left late. But building blocks are there to work with. He had a lot of early contact (hat tip @Harold's Leg Lift) here for seeing the same thing on the broadcast on the raleigh gb. Even if guys were putting it in play, it was often weakly. Fastball got hit hard at times. Breaking ball just couldn't get over enough.

Other random stuff:

Jesus T-Mobile is a fucking rave now. Beers are more expensive in the good seats, sucks. 15 a pop up to 18 and auto 15% gratuity swung in your face. Nah sorry, zero tip at the ballpark, not if you only take plastic. 

Decent amount of Sox fans showed up. Guy in front of me was kinda a stiff but seemed to know a little bit about the team. Got a lot of nods when I held the "sell the team" sign up. 

Weather just brutal, again. There isn't a place in the US that gets more 54 degrees and chilly off the water days in summer. Even the Bay area and Chicago do better. 

Julio is an awkward player for the money they gave him. in person, Robert is smoother. Robert's ability in CF is insane. He seems to have a tracking beacon on every ball and then when he needs to he just glides. At the plate Julio and Robert are similar. Both guys tonight had no idea how the pitcher was going to attack them. The first AB 2-0 robert gets a fb down broadway from the lefty and just looks at it? Julio in his third AB just whiffing on changeups. I dunno, it's a hard sport and of those that have much, much is expected. As noted, Robert is an elite CF and maybe best in the game.  If the Mariners did trade for him I'd imagine Julio moves to RF and then Robert DH 2-3 times a week otherwise.

Julio was stupid fast down the line, his straight line speed is something but as noted he's kinda like a giraffe at times, especially on the bases.

That's one of my favorite posts ever. Very informative even only a one-game sample size. ... Alarming about nobody except Lee talking to our pitcher. Very very sad. Also funny that you talked to so many players. That's funny you heckled some of them. Very alarming about Robert having no friends on the team. Says a lot about our team's lousy culture. Sounds like a rude dugout if they yelled at you for your one comment on pulling the ball. Obviously they don't like fans much. Did u laugh when we blew the lead again?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's one of my favorite posts ever. Very informative even only a one-game sample size. ... Alarming about nobody except Lee talking to our pitcher. Very very sad. Also funny that you talked to so many players. That's funny you heckled some of them. Very alarming about Robert having no friends on the team. Says a lot about our team's lousy culture. Sounds like a rude dugout if they yelled at you for your one comment on pulling the ball. Obviously they don't like fans much. Did u laugh when we blew the lead again?

was walking out as it happened. f*** that s%*#. was cold and last call was over. it was a blast for 7 innings.

40 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

was walking out as it happened. f*** that s%*#. was cold and last call was over. it was a blast for 7 innings.

u shoulda went and bought a jacket for 300 bucks in the gift shop. kidding.

• Haha 1

Sometimes pitchers don’t want anyone talking to them during a start… except their catcher.

It’s common and shouldn’t be an inditement or source of worry.

Oh… and you should have met Pedro after the game. 

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Sometimes pitchers don’t want anyone talking to them during a start… except their catcher.

Haha, did Pedro actually think he was going to win and wanted to rub it in @chitownsportsfan’s face?  What a ?.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Don't tell @TaylorStSoxthat. I'm sure in their mind there's no cliques still and the clubhouse is all roses.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Other random stuff:

Not surprised in the least to hear that Lopez and Grifol were chatting it up together and sitting side by side a lot.

They obviously spent a time together with Royals. I covered Nick while he was at Naperville Central (2011-13) and spoke to him about Grifol shortly after the hiring, to try and get a little sense of what the team was getting. 

As the entire fan base now knows, it hasn’t been really good.

I know the Royals are doing better this year under Quatraro, but it continues to baffle me that JR, Hahn and Getz are so enthralled with that organization.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

Not to mention it's his MLB debut...some are superstitious, especially pitchers, in those situations.  Tendency to leave those guys alone pretty much, until they are lifted.

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Other random stuff:

So what is going on with Robert, didn’t he say the other day that things are going to get better with the Sox and sounding like he wants to be part of it.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Don't tell @TaylorStSoxthat. I'm sure in their mind there's no cliques still and the clubhouse is all roses.

I should have mentioned that Julks seems pretty well liked and he mingled with everybody and was on the rail most of the game. Lee and Julks are the guys that talked the most on the position player side. Pitching wise Garrett was clearly the leader of the pack. Kopech wasn't in the bullpen for the first 7 innings and he was right in the middle of the dugout but was pretty quiet. At some point the guy next to me asked who the blonde was and I told him Kopech, but he meant the girl standing next to him...Sox have a woman trainer I believe in the dugout.

As for Thorpe not talking yea pretty standard stuff for the starter, and if Martin was talking to him in the dugout I couldn't see that. After Martin made the last out I think in the 6th he took the entire commercial break and then some to get into his gear and out behind the plate. Lee ended up taking the warm up pitches. Martin really just looked past it his body is carrying an extra 10lbs he doesn't need as well it looked like. Certainly was filling out his uni. 

6 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

We may be reading into Luis Robert's behaviour too much... he has always seemed a bit quiet and aloof.

His Spanish speaking compatriots are all gone as well.

There's a big difference between aloof and introverted.

Also, for when Colson comes up: when I saw the Dash play in Brooklyn, he and Ellis basically spent entire games next to each other in the dugout.

8 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

We may be reading into Luis Robert's behaviour too much... he has always seemed a bit quiet and aloof.

yea, very little if any Spanish heard out of the dugout. Colas clearly speaks a decent amount of English as he was speaking with the coaches and players. Sosa and Robert warmed up together but that just might be because they are the only guys that primarily speak Spanish among the position players now.

12 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Aww, I was hoping Pedro tried to fight you.

33 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I should have mentioned that Julks seems pretty well liked and he mingled with everybody and was on the rail most of the game. Lee and Julks are the guys that talked the most on the position player side. Pitching wise Garrett was clearly the leader of the pack. Kopech wasn't in the bullpen for the first 7 innings and he was right in the middle of the dugout but was pretty quiet. At some point the guy next to me asked who the blonde was and I told him Kopech, but he meant the girl standing next to him...Sox have a woman trainer I believe in the dugout.

Preposterous! How far will this franchise sink? ?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Aww, I was hoping Pedro tried to fight you.

I really don't know what he was trying to do. I shouted "you're in over your head" and he was only like 25 feet away and he laughed and said something like "hey see me after the game" and smiled and made a thumbs up and then like he was going to sign something for me or something? I gotta say he was a good sport about it. I don't know it's hard to hate a guy that reacts that way to a heckle. I can despise him as a fan but as a person eh he seemed fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Of course there are cliques. That doesn't mean toxic. Most starters want to be left alone when they're in the dugout. That's been common for the entire history of baseball. Robert obviously doesn't want to be here, and he can go. Again, nothing about this says there is toxicity in the clubhouse. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Of course there are cliques. That doesn't mean toxic. Most starters want to be left alone when they're in the dugout. That's been common for the entire history of baseball. Robert obviously doesn't want to be here, and he can go. Again, nothing about this says there is toxicity in the clubhouse. 

Didn't see any toxicity but didn't see much positive vibes either. It was way too Church like in the dugout in general. Of course when you're on pace to set all time loss records and have blown over two dozen leads already it's hard to have a rah rah atmosphere.

Again the one real exception was Lee. Dude was into the game all night.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Didn't see any toxicity but didn't see much positive vibes either. It was way too Church like in the dugout in general. Of course when you're on pace to set all time loss records and have blown over two dozen leads already it's hard to have a rah rah atmosphere.

It can't feel good to be both bad at your job, and in the public eye. If they were losing and having fun, fans would be even more brutal than they already are. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

So what is going on with Robert, didn’t he say the other day that things are going to get better with the Sox and sounding like he wants to be part of it.

He said better things were ahead. He didn't say it was with the Sox.

34 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was way better friends with the teams I've been on when we were winning than when we were getting our asses kicked every night.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KipWellsFan said:

this.

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hahaha, I had a similar experience with Pedro on July 1st last year in Oakland, was sitting 2nd row behind Sox dugout, felt like 110 degrees on the field that day, not a cloud in the sky.  Dylan was shaky all day and clearly exhausted by the end of the 5th, Pedro sends him back out there for the 6th so I started chirpin at him to get an arm up.  Cease promptly gives up a triple followed by a double to cut the lead in half, gave him a little "what'd I tell ya!"  Sox blew it in the 10th and I wasn't happy with Pedro's pen mgmt so I gave him a "THIS ONE'S ON YOU PEDRO! THIS ONE'S ON YOU!"  I have a pretty booming voice anyway but from that close he actually jumped a bit, he turns around and stares right at me, gave him the most angry thumbs up I could muster and I turned for the concourse steps. I got to the top and turned around, dude was still staring daggers at me, he def wanted to take me to the wood shed.  If only he had half the brains he does ego he might be able to hold down a job. 

Edit: Not my proudest moment, but it makes me laugh to think about him turning around and seeing my big dumb face giving him a thumbs up

Edited by JoeCredeYes
last line
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4