Steve Wilson back, Tim Hill DFAd

Another $1.8 million down the drain.

The fact that we're $5 million ahead of Minnesota in payroll with one of the worst teams in history while the AL Central is well positioned for 2 post season spots tells you all that you need to know this year.

• Like 4
  • Paper Bag 2

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The fact that we're $5 million ahead of Minnesota in payroll with one of the worst teams in history while the AL Central is well positioned for 2 post season spots tells you all that you need to know this year.

That's brutal.

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We also DFA’d Declan to make room for Hills…whoopsey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Just about the amount left for Pedro's deal, oops.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Just about the amount left for Pedro's deal, oops.

We actually could have had (well, after the 2022 season) a really excellent/top-flight manager simply from the money left over from Leury's deal they ate.

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

With the money MLB franchises make $1.8 million is peanuts. 

Until you add up all of the dumpster diving moves the Sox make each and every offseason, for guys that are on their last leg and get DFA anyways.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How far would that money go in terms of modernizing the front office, though?

Analytics, more scouts to replace the ones they had to let go (supposedly), computers/databases/AI/algorithms, etc.?

A LONG WAY.  Because there's so many in that area that would die to get into the field now, even willing to work for free in the case of interns whose families can subsidize them for a year or two (not that the Sox should use "cheap or free" labor compared to paying top dollar for the best.

How can Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit and KC all be well ahead of the White Sox while running payrolls well under the Sox?   Their money isn't all invested in major league payroll, obviously.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Until you add up all of the dumpster diving moves the Sox make each and every offseason, for guys that are in their last leg and get DFA anyways.

Roughly $25-30 million if you add in Hendriks and Leury Garcia, pretty sure.

+ $5 million buyout for Moncada, that's obvious.

Who knows what they will do with Jimenez.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How can Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit and KC all be well ahead of the White Sox while running payrolls well under the Sox?   Their money isn't all invested in major league payroll, obviously.

Start with half of your payroll on the IL and go from there.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Start with half of your payroll on the IL and go from there.

Is it really $65 millon, though?

Moncada's $24 and whatever Jimenez makes...

By that argument, the Twins have had similar situations the last two years when both Buxton and Correa were out simultaneously.

Edited by caulfield12

37 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If the big market franchise was being treated like a big market franchise, I'd agree with that.

1.8 million is 2.4% of the LARGEST CONTRACT IN FRANCHISE HISTORY (75 mil) so....yeah, not as insignificant when you have a tightass in charge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The payroll is a function of bad decisions made years ago though. Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi aren't all of a sudden making giant contracts.

It's a reasonable point that it's wasted money, but it's barely any money in the grand scheme of things and relievers are pretty much a crapshoot anyway. you rather they waste money on relievers making no money than, I don't know, sign Giolito to the contract that the Red Sox did. Or pay Lance Lynn 11 million dollars like the Cardinals did. Or pay Sean Manaea twice as much as Fedde etc. 

The reality is, this front office hasn't given out any contracts actually worth complaining about yet. Like, Maldonado is probably the worst one and he's only here for a year. There simply hasn't been an opportunity to yet. Will Getz give a Benintendi-esque contract to some bum this free agency? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but add up all the guys who have come and gone since last season and how does the dollar amount compare to Benintendi and his negative WAR? We could see a dumb contract given to Pete Alonso or Cody Bellinger or some overpaid second tier free agent, I wouldn't rule that out.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nrockway said:

The payroll is a function of bad decisions made years ago though. Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi aren't all of a sudden making giant contracts.

It's a reasonable point that it's wasted money, but it's barely any money in the grand scheme of things and relievers are pretty much a crapshoot anyway. you rather they waste money on relievers making no money than, I don't know, sign Giolito to the contract that the Red Sox did. Or pay Lance Lynn 11 million dollars like the Cardinals did. Or pay Sean Manaea twice as much as Fedde etc. 

The reality is, this front office hasn't given out any contracts actually worth complaining about yet. Like, Maldonado is probably the worst one and he's only here for a year. There simply hasn't been an opportunity to yet. Will Getz give a Benintendi-esque contract to some bum this free agency? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but add up all the guys who have come and gone since last season and how does the dollar amount compare to Benintendi and his negative WAR? We could see a dumb contract given to Pete Alonso or Cody Bellinger or some overpaid second tier free agent, I wouldn't rule that out.

I would guess that if you added up all the money paid to Stassi, Maldonado, Lopez, DeJong, Julks, Pham, Grossman, Pillar, Ortega, Fedde, Flexen, Soroka, Brebbia, Hill, Keller, Clevinger, Leone, Woodford, and Shaw, it would be superseded by the value produced just by DeJong, Julks, Pham, Fedde and Flexen, easily. 

The people complaining about the wasted money are resolute in complaining about everything. There is no point. 

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

Manaea has actually been one of the best (count me surprised) pitchers on the Mets this year, I probably would have only gone $10-12 million coming out of SD and SF, but whatever.

Benintendi being literally the 2nd worst player in all of baseball out of hundreds (everyone but Maldonado) is borderline ridiculous.

The odds of it being the worst contract in the game were probably 2-3% at best.  But Hahn managed to pull it off.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I would guess that if you added up all the money paid to Stassi, Maldonado, Lopez, DeJong, Julks, Pham, Grossman, Pillar, Ortega, Fedde, Flexen, Soroka, Brebbia, Hill, Keller, Clevinger, Leone, Woodford, and Shaw, it would be superseded by the value produced just by DeJong, Julks, Pham, Fedde and Flexen, easily. 

The people complaining about the wasted money are resolute in complaining about everything. There is no point. 

Except that there were also other moves that Getz made that you don’t have listed, including moves he made in a panic to keep some of the veteran bums that he acquired, only to DFA them later.

I can’t see how anyone could say that Getz did a good job of roster management so far this year with a straight face.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It really amazes me how you continue to hold water for a guy who put together a 17-52 team. A team 9 games worse than any other team in the AL. At least you are off of the lockdown bullpen you told us he built earlier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It really amazes me how you continue to hold water for a guy who put together a 17-52 team. A team 9 games worse than any other team in the AL. At least you are off of the lockdown bullpen you told us he built earlier.

Worst offense in the MLB to go along with an awful defense and bullpen.  Getz completely failed at what he intended to improve in the offseason, which is evidence that his offseason was bad no matter what some people want to sugarcoat.

At least it looks like we have three good starters now, although one or two of them will be traded by the deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

51 minutes ago, T R U said:

Also want to point out that Julks has been pretty bad recently. I think people started beating their chests on him a little too early.

who cares though, that's the kind of player that should be playing on a team like this. Struggles and all. Not a 34 year old shitty reliever on his way to retirement.

• Like 1