Steve Wilson back, Tim Hill DFAd

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It really amazes me how you continue to hold water for a guy who put together a 17-52 team. A team 9 games worse than any other team in the AL. At least you are off of the lockdown bullpen you told us he built earlier.

We all knew this was a rebuilding season, and we knew this team was going to be bad. We also all knew the obstacles Getz faced. Bad reputation, cut payroll. JR doesn't want to pay multiple managers. Then the injuries, and the team slump to open the season. Now the bullpen implodes. 

I don't see the point of pretending that $1.8 million is a huge waste of money on a team with a $135 million payroll. I like the concept of signing a bunch of guys, throwing them out there, cutting those who look finished, then finding more. Fedde, Flexen, Soroka. Two of those guys look like they're tradable. That was the whole point. 

Nothing matters until the draft, TDL, then the prospect promotions. It's all pretty straight-forward. I don't see how that's "carrying water". 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, T R U said:

Also want to point out that Julks has been pretty bad recently. I think people started beating their chests on him a little too early.

In this vein: Andrew Vaughn has hilarious (in a good way) numbers in June. He's got a .361 / .395 / 1.061 split.

Now he just needs to sustain that for more than like, 10 games.

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Would be huge if Wilson pitches well next few weeks - you know what contenders will pay for a quality reliever like him. 

You think we could get Trayce Thompson back in the deal?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Also want to point out that Julks has been pretty bad recently. I think people started beating their chests on him a little too early.

Cool.  Still not ready to bench him for any of the other clown show.  We should be collecting players like Julks like Pokemon cards, and not players like Tommy Pham.

19 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

We all knew this was a rebuilding season, and we knew this team was going to be bad. We also all knew the obstacles Getz faced. Bad reputation, cut payroll. JR doesn't want to pay multiple managers. Then the injuries, and the team slump to open the season. Now the bullpen implodes. 

I don't see the point of pretending that $1.8 million is a huge waste of money on a team with a $135 million payroll. I like the concept of signing a bunch of guys, throwing them out there, cutting those who look finished, then finding more. Fedde, Flexen, Soroka. Two of those guys look like they're tradable. That was the whole point. 

Nothing matters until the draft, TDL, then the prospect promotions. It's all pretty straight-forward. I don't see how that's "carrying water". 

Did you predict a 40 win season?  If not, I don't think the "we all knew" applies.  We knew it would be bad, but not historically bad.  There is a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Did you predict a 40 win season?  If not, I don't think the "we all knew" applies.  We knew it would be bad, but not historically bad.  There is a difference.

I predicted 68 wins, which was pretty optimistic for the site. The injuries to Yoan, Eloy and Robert, coupled with the horrific offensive slump the entire team started out in were the biggest factor, early.

Just now, WestEddy said:

I predicted 68 wins, which was pretty optimistic for the site. The injuries to Yoan, Eloy and Robert, coupled with the horrific offensive slump the entire team started out in were the biggest factor, early.

We are 1/3 into the season and our position players have -2.3 fWAR. We started out slow, we kept slow, we been slow, we are still slow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

The Sox would need to finish out the season at 51-42 to make 68 wins.  They are currently on a 39.9 win pace with a .246 winning percentage.  So the idea that everyone knew this would happen is pretty false.

• Paper Bag 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox would need to finish out the season at 51-42 to make 68 wins.  They are currently on a 39.9 win pace with a .246 winning percentage.  So the idea that everyone knew this would happen is pretty false.

68 wins is not a great team. Are you now going to dig in and argue the phrase "everybody knew" for a few pages? Or do you want to pretend that "everybody knew" that Yoan, Eloy and Robert would all be injured by the 11th game?

Just now, WestEddy said:

68 wins is not a great team. Are you now going to dig in and argue the phrase "everybody knew" for a few pages? Or do you want to pretend that "everybody knew" that Yoan, Eloy and Robert would all be injured by the 11th game?

68 wins is not a great team.  40 wins is the worst team in the history of MLB.  I assume you know the difference there.  I know you want to handwave this away and keep making false equivalencies in an effort to do so, but this is not "bad".  This is historic.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

who cares though, that's the kind of player that should be playing on a team like this. Struggles and all. Not a 34 year old shitty reliever on his way to retirement.

Yeah I agree, he should be the type of player getting a chance on a team like this. He was just lumped into the grouping of players that are producing value and after his hot start he is pretty much the same as every other lousy player currently on the roster.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

68 wins is not a great team.  40 wins is the worst team in the history of MLB.  I assume you know the difference there.  I know you want to handwave this away and keep making false equivalencies in an effort to do so, but this is not "bad".  This is historic.

I do know the difference.

It's the difference between the roster they broke camp with, and the roster they had 11 days into the season. 

Everybody knew this team would be bad. That's a true statement. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I do know the difference.

It's the difference between the roster they broke camp with, and the roster they had 11 days into the season. 

Everybody knew this team would be bad. That's a true statement. 

Well, not everyone. Pretty sure there was 1 or 2 posters thinking they could push 90 wins.

Just now, T R U said:

Well, not everyone. Pretty sure there was 1 or 2 posters thinking they could push 90 wins.

Yeah, I think PoppySox predicted 80 some-odd wins, and he was disappointed when I said 68.

I took the others as goofing on it. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The White Sox went 5-2 the week of May 5th to May 11th.

If you remove that week, the Sox are 12-50 in the rest of their games....that would be on pace to win 31 games in a 162 game season. Tampa Bay has to look themselves in the mirror long and hard and ask "how did we go 1-5 to those clowns?"

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Anyone who made their record prediction assuming that the trio of Moncada, Eloy, and Robert would stay healthy was doing it wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

The White Sox went 5-2 the week of May 5th to May 11th.

If you remove that week, the Sox are 12-50 in the rest of their games....that would be on pace to win 31 games in a 162 game season. Tampa Bay has to look themselves in the mirror long and hard and ask "how did we go 1-5 to those clowns?"

Tampa still has not recovered from the Wander fiasco, and honestly it could be a while before they do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

What I dont get about Hill is his numbers are about the same as they were last year which inspired the contract. His advanced numbers are actually better. How does he go from guy who pitched a ton to a guy you pay not to play?

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What I dont get about Hill is his numbers are about the same as they were last year which inspired the contract. His advanced numbers are actually better. How does he go from guy who pitched a ton to a guy you pay not to play?

He should have never been on the team to begin with, seems like it was just a product of the mindset that were going to fix all these defensive issues and this team will be 15 games better than 2023. Oof.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He just became a lot more hittable. And his strikeout rate dropped in half from his peak of 2020. 

On 2/7/2024 at 12:42 PM, WestEddy said:

The record for worst record of all time belongs to the 1899 Cleveland Spiders at 34-120. The record for the "modern" era (AL/NL) is the 1962 Mets, who went 40-120. 

I would think this team could be at 45 wins by the end of July. 

56 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yeah, I think PoppySox predicted 80 some-odd wins, and he was disappointed when I said 68.

I took the others as goofing on it. 

Uh huh,  go on.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He just became a lot more hittable. And his strikeout rate dropped in half from his peak of 2020. 

So Getz was going by his Covid year numbers for 2024? He provided exactly what anyone would have expected him to provide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So Getz was going by his Covid year numbers for 2024? He provided exactly what anyone would have expected him to provide. 

He was still a serviceable reliever in 2022. His 2023 was not good. They banked on what worked for him before that.