Steve Wilson back, Tim Hill DFAd

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who's to say that Thorpe isn't a first ballot hall of fame pitcher?  Yeah, I am going to say that is true.  If I am wrong, come back to me in twenty years, and I will own it, but yes I feel really good in saying that Thorpe isn't Verlander. 

I also feel pretty good in saying that neither Quero, nor Lee, is IRod.  I feel pretty sure that the Salas kid from the Padres as the top catching prospect out there is that guy either, even if somehow we were to get him from the Padres.

Of course "a lot can change" but if the owner doesn't change, it fundamentally won't.  The Sox will not be a top of the market spending team as long as Jerry Reinsdorf is alive.  He hasn't been that guy in 30+ years. We won't be going after the Pete Alonzos and Juan Sotos of the world this winter.

I know what you are trying to say here, but realistically, what are the odds of all of those types of things happening with the Sox history factored in?  1000:1? 

2006 Tigers weren’t even a top 10 payroll team (but Jerry’s Sox were top 5).

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

2006 Tigers weren’t even a top 10 payroll team (but Jerry’s Sox we’re top 5).

Payroll really matters if you are willing to use it wisely.  Again, have we seen that happen in the last couple of decades?  I haven't.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

2006 Tigers weren’t even a top 10 payroll team (but Jerry’s Sox were top 5).

Sox weren't that close when they won the WS though.

Added Thome (not sure subsidy coming over from Philly considered) and the ultimately frustrating Javy Vasquez Show, among others.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Payroll really matters if you are willing to use it wisely.  Again, have we seen that happen in the last couple of decades?  I haven't.

Was it used wisely in 2021 when they won 93 games? I’m not sure what to tell you other than the Sox have no significant payroll commitments outside of Beni after this season so we’ll see what Getz does with it when he’s not limited to a bunch of sub $5M signings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Sox weren't that close when they won the WS though.

Added Thome (not sure subsidy coming over from Philly considered) and the ultimately frustrating Javy Vasquez Show, among others.

Exactly my point. The owner’s deep pockets weren’t the reason the 2006 Tigers made the World Series. That team was largely built on a young core from years of sucking and drafting high.

Was it used wisely in 2021 when they won 93 games? I’m not sure what to tell you other than the Sox have no significant payroll commitments outside of Beni after this season so we’ll see what Getz does with it when he’s not limited to a bunch of sub $5M signings.

The free agent class really sucks after this season.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Exactly my point. The owner’s deep pockets weren’t the reason the 2006 Tigers made the World Series. That team was largely built on a young core from years of sucking and drafting high.

Which they supplemented with top of the market superstars off of the free agent market to make the window move up.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which they supplemented with top of the market superstars off of the free agent market to make the window move up.

Magglio was a 1.2 fWAR player in 2006. Pudge was 2.9. They didn’t get superstar production from those guys in 2006.

Magglio was a 1.2 fWAR player in 2006. Pudge was 2.9. They didn’t get superstar production from those guys in 2006.

I will tell you what.  I will give you 100:1 the Sox don't win the World Series in 3 years, or 2027.  Pick an amount.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will tell you what.  I will give you 100:1 the Sox don't win the World Series in 3 years, or 2027.  Pick an amount.

I didn’t say they will but it’s not unprecedented for a team to go from 119 losses to playoffs/World Series in 3 years

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I didn’t say they will but it’s not unprecedented for a team to go from 119 losses to playoffs/World Series in 3 years

And I am saying there is zero chance of it happening here.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What was the average length of time from a 100-plus-loss season to a playoff appearance?

The average time to the next postseason berth for one of these teams during the Wild Card Era -- we’re using that period for this question because since the implementation of the Wild Card in 1995, there has been more opportunity to reach the postseason -- was 6.6 years.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

What was the average length of time from a 100-plus-loss season to a playoff appearance?

The average time to the next postseason berth for one of these teams during the Wild Card Era -- we’re using that period for this question because since the implementation of the Wild Card in 1995, there has been more opportunity to reach the postseason -- was 6.6 years.

Easier now than in 1995 with the expanded wild card format so probably more like 5 years now I would guess. So Sox make playoffs in ~2028? Seems reasonable. I think the team will be competitive by 2026/2027 but wouldn’t be surprised if it took a bit longer. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sure, but he’ll be traded soon by a GM who valued Fletcher and DeLoach as outfielders who could take over RF for the Sox.  ??

So I guess we all agree Getz signed a free agent superstar starting pitcher at a bargain price? Cool

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Easier now than in 1995 with the expanded wild card format so probably more like 5 years now I would guess. So Sox make playoffs in ~2028? Seems reasonable. I think the team will be competitive by 2026/2027 but wouldn’t be surprised if it took a bit longer. 

Depends on what happens with Robert, Crochet, and Fedde trades. If done right, yeah I could see them playoff competitive by 2027/2028.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Depends on what happens with Robert, Crochet, and Fedde trades. If done right, yeah I could see them playoff competitive by 2027/2028.

For sure. And this isn’t some kind of wild take. That’s why these next 12 months are absolutely massive for this organization’s outlook over the next 5-10 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

For sure. And this isn’t some kind of wild take. That’s why these next 12 months are absolutely massive for this organization’s outlook over the next 5-10 years.

It really isn't. The histrionics here are silly.