Steve Wilson back, Tim Hill DFAd

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So I guess we all agree Getz signed a free agent superstar starting pitcher at a bargain price? Cool

Hopefully, he manages to trade him for a starting position player out.  Otherwise, it won’t mean much.

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Easier now than in 1995 with the expanded wild card format so probably more like 5 years now I would guess. So Sox make playoffs in ~2028? Seems reasonable. I think the team will be competitive by 2026/2027 but wouldn’t be surprised if it took a bit longer. 

The Sox under Jerry have made the playoffs 5 times since 1995.  It’s never going to be “easy” or “easier” for this team.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hopefully, he manages to trade him for a starting position player out.  Otherwise, it won’t mean much.

I agree with that but if we’re going to rip him for signings like Maldonado and Hill, we should at least acknowledge Fedde was a great signing (who also happened to be the only multi year signing of the past offseason).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sure, but he’ll be traded soon by a GM who valued Fletcher and DeLoach as outfielders who could take over RF for the Sox.  ??

This is such a stupid and unserious criticism.  DeLoach was one of three pieces in a deal for an injured bullpen arm.   Who said he was going to take over RF?  

You act like he was the main target this offseason and they signed him to a big extension.  He's just some dude they got in a trade.  Would you have rather that they just refused to take a third player?

Edited by Nardiwashere
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox under Jerry have made the playoffs 5 times since 1995.  It’s never going to be “easy” or “easier” for this team.

So every 5-6 years on average? Checks out. 2028 looks good but the next 12 months are huge. Gotta make 2 more Cease type deals when dealing Crochet and Robert. It can be done but I won’t say it’s a given or easy either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, T R U said:

Depends on what happens with Robert, Crochet, and Fedde trades. If done right, yeah I could see them playoff competitive by 2027/2028.

The front end of that prediction means we got front end prospects who are older and basically ready for the majors.  If the top talent is younger, then keep adding to those seasons.

It also means that we hit on a high percentage of them, and they had very high ceilings that they got to, especially in the position player group, because those do not exist in our system as of today.  It means we need a Chris Sale type package for those two guys AND they need to actually pan out this time.  It means that Fedde has to draw at least one guy who turns into a good every day starter, and maybe more.

Thankfully all of the people responsible for our former minor league development have been sent packing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

This is such a stupid and unserious criticism.  DeLoach was one of three pieces in a deal for an injured bullpen arm.   Who said he was going to take over RF?  Would you rather he just wasn't included in the deal?  

You act like he was the main target this offseason and they signed him to a big extension.  He's just some dude they got in a trade.  Would you have rather that they just refused to take a third player?

No, but Fletcher WAS Getz’s main target for RF, and that was also the much worse acquisition.  ?

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The front end of that prediction means we got front end prospects who are older and basically ready for the majors.  If the top talent is younger, then keep adding to those seasons.

It also means that we hit on a high percentage of them, and they had very high ceilings that they got to, especially in the position player group, because those do not exist in our system as of today.  It means we need a Chris Sale type package for those two guys AND they need to actually pan out this time.  It means that Fedde has to draw at least one guy who turns into a good every day starter, and maybe more.

Thankfully all of the people responsible for our former minor league development have been sent packing...

Hey I just said I could see it. What I personally believe is we are going to be waiting quite a while before we see another playoff game for the White Sox.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, but Fletcher WAS Getz’s main target for RF, and that was also the much worse acquisition.  ?

They traded an ok minor league starter (who has an ERA in the high 4s in AAA) that had fallen behind their other pitching prospects for an outfielder who hit 300 in a small sample size last year.  He has been bad in an even smaller sample size this year. 

This was during an offseason where he had to cut payroll and needed OF depth and after it was clear they weren't getting a MLB ready OFer from Baltimore for Cease. 

Do you really not understand any of that or are you just so weirdly obsessed with Chris Getz?  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

They traded an ok minor league starter (who has an ERA in the high 4s in AAA) that had fallen behind their other pitching prospects for an outfielder who hit 300 in a small sample size last year.  He has been bad in an even smaller sample size this year. 

This was during an offseason where he had to cut payroll and needed OF depth and after it was clear they weren't getting a MLB ready OFer from Baltimore for Cease. 

Do you really not understand any of that or are you just so weirdly obsessed with Chris Getz?  

Yes, I’m weirdly obsessed.  Let’s just ignore that he’s looking to set the all time ineptitude record.  But keep defending him if that’s your strange prerogative.

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Mena was the better prospect, are you suggesting that it was a fair trade? cmon dude

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Mena was the better prospect, are you suggesting that it was a fair trade? cmon dude

There’s been a lot of energy expended towards that trade here on soxtalk. I haven’t personally seen Mena pitch but nothing about his profile that’ I’ve read or his minor league numbers suggests to me he’s going to be a productive mlb starting pitcher. Yes, he’s young but I have more faith in a guy like Mason Adams who’s a little older but has seen success throughout the minor leagues.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

As I have seen it so far the Sox traded a limited ceiling SP for a limited ceiling OF.  I wasn't opposed to it because of who we gave up, but I sure haven't been impressed with who we got, and the team already seems to not be believing in Fletcher as well.  That's not a good sign for any improvements in scouting which is what I am more worried about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

As I have seen it so far the Sox traded a limited ceiling SP for a limited ceiling OF.  I wasn't opposed to it because of who we gave up, but I sure haven't been impressed with who we got, and the team already seems to not be believing in Fletcher as well.  That's not a good sign for any improvements in scouting which is what I am more worried about.

That's fine.  

The other guy acts like Fletcher and DeLoach were costly acquisitions that were meant to be franchise cornerstones.  Its bizarre.   

There's a million things to criticize the organization about in the last decade.  Zach DeLoach and Dom Fletcher are far far down that list. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

That's fine.  

The other guy acts like Fletcher and DeLoach were costly acquisitions that were meant to be franchise cornerstones.  Its bizarre.   

There's a million things to criticize the organization about in the last decade.  Zach DeLoach and Dom Fletcher are far far down that list. 

SS2K5 nailed it.  It could be an early sign that the Sox scouting hasn’t improved much when it comes to position players.  The Sox had their choice of Jake McCarthy or Dominic Fletcher for Mena.  Barfield supposedly pushed Getz to take Fletcher.

25 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

SS2K5 nailed it.  It could be an early sign that the Sox scouting hasn’t improved much when it comes to position players.  The Sox had their choice of Jake McCarthy or Dominic Fletcher for Mena.  Barfield supposedly pushed Getz to take Fletcher.

McCarthy is into his first year of arbitration next season. Not really sure how he’s a great fit either given where the organization currently stands. And it’s not like he’s some type of stud now anyways.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There’s been a lot of energy expended towards that trade here on soxtalk. I haven’t personally seen Mena pitch but nothing about his profile that’ I’ve read or his minor league numbers suggests to me he’s going to be a productive mlb starting pitcher. Yes, he’s young but I have more faith in a guy like Mason Adams who’s a little older but has seen success throughout the minor leagues.

Cool…doesn’t mean we had to trade him for a AAAA outfielder.  Just like the Tim Hill excuses of “$1.8M is nothing” is ridiculous when we gave up a controllable reliever who has actually been good this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cool…doesn’t mean we had to trade him for a AAAA outfielder.  Just like the Tim Hill excuses of “$1.8M is nothing” is ridiculous when we gave up a controllable reliever who has actually been good this year.

These are the little thing Getz did so well to tale a 101 loss team and make it 20 games worse.  No one move alone does this, but add em up and here we are.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He also is on the big league roster from what I read.  

Hill pitched yesterday against the Orioles - 1.0 IP, 2 hits (including a HR), 3 runs (none earned due to an error or two).

No regerts.

• Like 1