Jose Abreu Released

4 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Some people, a lot of people on here were criticizing the team for not resigning him. They dodged a bullet.

I got a lot of grief on here for claiming AV could put up similar numbers for (essentially) free and letting Jose walk was the right move.  I'll pat myself on the back even though AV ain't what I thought he would be. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Ouch is right.

But credit to Houston for making the decision that needed to be made. You know the Sox would just continue to trot him out there (Benintendi).

Lord, I see what you have done for others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Some people, a lot of people on here were criticizing the team for not resigning him. They dodged a bullet.

I thought they should have resigned him. Obviously, that would have been a disaster. He had a 4.3 bWAR season in 2022, its pretty crazy that he didn't just decline he fell straight off the cliff at lightspeed.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I thought they should have resigned him. Obviously, that would have been a disaster. He had a 4.3 bWAR season in 2022, its pretty crazy that he didn't just decline he fell straight off the cliff at lightspeed.

He was cheating on fastballs at least the last two years in Chicago. He was talented enough to make it work, But like Kong, when these DH types age, and they aren't on super juice, the bottom will fall out fast.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He was cheating on fastballs at least the last two years in Chicago. He was talented enough to make it work, But like Kong, when these DH types age, and they aren't on super juice, the bottom will fall out fast.

This, he went from a Baseball Savant +8 run value in '21 vs 4 seamers to a -9 in '22.  There were signs the age was catching up. 

• Like 3

But in all seriousness: I've always had a soft spot for Jose for several reasons - the fact that the Sox signed "The Best Hitter You've Never Heard Of," the fact that he was a steady bat most of his career, he was always a good soldier, acting like role model for younger dudes, diffusing fights like when Karinchak hit him in the head, and because I got to interview him once and he came across as the most genuine dude - even despite my extremely limited Spanish (Minnie's eldest son worked with my dad, he was our translator).

So it sucks to see how hard he's fallen off. I know retiring numbers is rarified air, but he was an MVP and he's all over the Sox record books despite coming over at an older age.

For the traditional stats: 3rd in homers (behind Frank and Paulie), 5th in RBIs (Frank, Paulie, Appling, Baines) and 10th in runs.

For advanced stats, he's 12 in fWAR - hurt by defense of course. Fourth in Offensive WAR behind Frank, Eddie Collins, and Minnie.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

But in all seriousness: I've always had a soft spot for Jose for several reasons - the fact that the Sox signed "The Best Hitter You've Never Heard Of," the fact that he was a steady bat most of his career, he was always a good soldier, acting like role model for younger dudes, diffusing fights like when Karinchak hit him in the head, and because I got to interview him once and he came across as the most genuine dude - even despite my extremely limited Spanish (Minnie's eldest son worked with my dad, he was our translator).

So it sucks to see how hard he's fallen off. I know retiring numbers is rarified air, but he was an MVP and he's all over the Sox record books despite coming over at an older age.

For the traditional stats: 3rd in homers (behind Frank and Paulie), 5th in RBIs (Frank, Paulie, Appling, Baines) and 10th in runs.

For advanced stats, he's 12 in fWAR - hurt by defense of course. Fourth in Offensive WAR behind Frank, Eddie Collins, and Minnie.

I am right there with you , Jose will always be a fav.

I remember a few years back Jose was in the dugout and the Sox had a long inning.  Abreu had either Yermin or Yomer in a bear hug pinned against the dugout railing. It was hilarious , Abreu kept the bear hug on the whole 1/2 inning , lol

I always laugh when I think of before his last contract here when Jerry made public statements saying "I'm bringing him back no matter what" and Jose was saying similar things like, "I'm not going anywhere" and someone asked Rick Hahn about it and he goes "Well, this one is not going to be taught in any law school negotiation classes anytime soon."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Pito had a great career. I hope he comes back for a day to do a farewell. The fans never really got to say goodbye. 

The fans didn’t get a chance because of his decision not to play. The Sox tried and he didn’t want to give the fans the opportunity to say thanks.

• Thanks 1