Jose Abreu Released

DirtySox

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

I'm still struggling with his 3 year contract.  What in the world made the Houston GM think that was necessary to sign him. This re-convinces me that most GMs are not very bright. Who advised him a year and a half ago?

Yep, that was strange.

11 hours ago, oldsox said:

I'm still struggling with his 3 year contract.  What in the world made the Houston GM think that was necessary to sign him. This re-convinces me that most GMs are not very bright. Who advised him a year and a half ago?

Winning now is more important than money in some franchises. They needed him for a year, anything else was bonus. We're so use to a cheap owner the concept of paying a guy for three years when you need him for one is crazy. 

But we want to make certain JR makes money. 

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we are looking for player coaches who can't hit, might as well make it someone beloved by the players.  Maybe he can get through to the walking wounded.

We can always use one of those.

plus he can play every day, unlike the one we have now

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

There really is no risk of dropping him in at DH. He isnt blocking anyone and at least hes a reminder of the good times when baseball was good.  He would be like the movie Field of Dreams.  This assuming he does have off the field benefit.  

I think you're correct that there's no risk but he is complete dogshit

On 6/14/2024 at 7:22 PM, poppysox said:

Be patient...he's been coming on strong of late.

There's about 5-6 teams conceivably in a playoff race who could use an upgrade on their 1B. And here we are, sitting on two. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No one is trading for .680 OPS Andrew Vaughn.  Sorry to have awoken you from your wet dream.

Gavin and Vaughn would get like an team's 12-15 prospect (so at best a B- guy, more likely C+) and then some lotto ticket 18 year old that 1/100 amounts to nothing.

Vaughn might not even get that. If he stays hot for another month maybe. He's still at the end of the day a a horrible defensive 1B that hits righty and has a career wRC+ of 102 and negative .5 fWAR. He's not exactly good, even when he manages to hit league average he's barely replacement thanks to his defense.

In the last month Vaughn has an .893 OPS. We need to stick with him and see if he's finally turned the corner. Abreu can be a coach or sign a one day contract and retire a White Sox. Adding him to the roster would be complete malpractice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gavin and Vaughn would get like an team's 12-15 prospect (so at best a B- guy, more likely C+) and then some lotto ticket 18 year old that 1/100 amounts to nothing.

Vaughn might not even get that. If he stays hot for another month maybe. He's still at the end of the day a a horrible defensive 1B that hits righty and has a career wRC+ of 102 and negative .5 fWAR. He's not exactly good, even when he manages to hit league average he's barely replacement thanks to his defense.

I don’t think anyone wants Sheets either and I doubt either guy is traded.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, almagest said:

In the last month Vaughn has an .893 OPS. We need to stick with him and see if he's finally turned the corner. Abreu can be a coach or sign a one day contract and retire a White Sox. Adding him to the roster would be complete malpractice.

No one is trading for Andrew Vaughn right now.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t think anyone wants Sheets either and I doubt either guy is traded.

122 wRC+ against RHP this year might get us something but yea, these are guys that in OOTP the AI would try and send you back 2x the salary and then like a 4th OF and a 45 FV utility guy prospect. And the AI wouldn't be that wrong.

Are we seriously having a conversation about bringing Abreu back?? Have you all lost your minds??

What would be the purpose of that?  I know AV has sucked but have you watched him play recently, he is starting to figure it out and he's still young.  You cannot bring in Abreu to take playing time from Vaugh, or any DH (Sheets, Lee, Eloy).

If Abreu wants to be a coach then SURE........otherwise let's move on 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one is trading for Andrew Vaughn right now.

Nobody's really trading for anybody right now. Teams won't start getting serious about the TDL until after the draft. 

If Vaughn has finally "figured it out" he can be a cheap plug in. He's got about 5 weeks to show it. Have you seen what some of these .500 teams are running out there at 1B and DH?

15 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Are we seriously having a conversation about bringing Abreu back?? Have you all lost your minds??

What would be the purpose of that?  I know AV has sucked but have you watched him play recently, he is starting to figure it out and he's still young.  You cannot bring in Abreu to take playing time from Vaugh, or any DH (Sheets, Lee, Eloy).

If Abreu wants to be a coach then SURE........otherwise let's move on 

If we're talking about bringing back cooked ex-1B, Konerko would put a few asses in the seats, and he'd hit a little better than Abreu right now. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No one is trading for .680 OPS Andrew Vaughn.  Sorry to have awoken you from your wet dream.

In the last few years, teams in contention pulled off trades like this:

2021 - Brewers sent 2 relievers to Toronto for Rowdy Tellez (.605 OPS)
2022 - Mets sent bullpen arm to Pirates for Dan Vogelbach (.769 OPS)
2023 - Brewers sent minor league starter Justin Jarvis to Mets for Mark Canha (.725 OPS)

1B offense has cratered in the AL this year. Vaughn has 5-6 weeks to solidify himself as a .750 OPS hitter. Sheets has already done so. Until last week, the Red Sox were running Garrett Cooper out there at first. Houston is writing Jon Singleton into the lineup. 

Again, I'm sure you can make a point without sounding like a circus clown, no matter how silly your point is. All teams have scouts. They don't look up a player on B-R.com, then make a trade based on their stat line. If they feel Sheets' and Vaughn's adjustments are real and repeatable, both have value. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

In the last few years, teams in contention pulled off trades like this:

2021 - Brewers sent 2 relievers to Toronto for Rowdy Tellez (.605 OPS)
2022 - Mets sent bullpen arm to Pirates for Dan Vogelbach (.769 OPS)
2023 - Brewers sent minor league starter Justin Jarvis to Mets for Mark Canha (.725 OPS)

1B offense has cratered in the AL this year. Vaughn has 5-6 weeks to solidify himself as a .750 OPS hitter. Sheets has already done so. Until last week, the Red Sox were running Garrett Cooper out there at first. Houston is writing Jon Singleton into the lineup. 

Again, I'm sure you can make a point without sounding like a circus clown, no matter how silly your point is. All teams have scouts. They don't look up a player on B-R.com, then make a trade based on their stat line. If they feel Sheets' and Vaughn's adjustments are real and repeatable, both have value. 

Okay, I’ll wait until one of these two guys gets traded and then give you credit.  But you also said that a Rule 5 pick Shane Drohan was one of the Sox top 15 pitching prospects and Getz DFA him like two weeks later.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

If we're talking about bringing back cooked ex-1B, Konerko would put a few asses in the seats, and he'd hit a little better than Abreu right now. 

They should call me.

Got more 'T' than both of 'em combined.

Plus, I'll increase ticket sales among the Sox wives by 60% within 2 weeks.

Edited by FranksPillz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Okay, I’ll wait until one of these two guys gets traded and then give you credit.  But you also said that a Rule 5 pick Shane Drohan was one of the Sox top 15 pitching prospects and Getz DFA him like two weeks later.

I don't want or need credit. It's just conversation, not a competition. People who should know are throwing Sheets' name around as a TDL target, and if Vaughn is really fixed, and it's sustainable, that's a low-risk acquisition. 

The problem you have is you keep putting words in my mouth, or you purposefully confuse things out of context. I said the Sox had 15 starting pitching prospects lined up over 3-4 levels, then when pressed, put a list of guys I considered to be starting pitching prospects. I think there was about 23 I considered to be "prospects". And I don't even think it was that long, like, 2 days later Drohan was cut. They have about 30-35 guys who are minor league "starters", so it's not so outrageous to include a guy who has started and had success at AA with Boston. 

If everybody is going to wail about Matthew Thompson and Luis Rodriguez as "prospects" being traded, then Drohan was a prospect. Drohan's probably just not rosterable this year, and by next, he was going to get lost in the shuffle. 

16 minutes ago, FranksPillz said:

They should call me.

Got more 'T' than both of 'em combined.

Plus, I'll increase ticket sales among the Sox wives by 60% within 2 weeks.

reporter: Frank, how well would you hit against today's pitchers?

FT: Oh, probably around .240

reporter: Only .240?

FT: Well, I am 56, you durn fool!!

• Like 1