Jose Abreu Released

DirtySox

33 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Baseball is a young man’s game.  Hopefully the Sox will also realize this one day rather than signing expired vets each and every offseason.

Exactly. With increased velocity, guys can't stick as long as they used to. Both pitchers blowing their arms out, and hitters unable to catch up to gas. Abreu is listed at 37, who knows how old he really is.

3 minutes ago, Highland said:

This is too bad. Hoped he'd play long enough to get 1,000 RBIs. Too bad the Sox don't have more like him.

Man I thought him in that lineup would have him rolling out of bed and getting his normal .300/30/100 no problem at all

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

See Goldschmidt Hosmer Pujols etc.

Pujols and Hosmer contracts did not age well.  Chris Davis, Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard....   Big contracts to 1B/DH types are not good investments. Very few live up to them. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. With increased velocity, guys can't stick as long as they used to. Both pitchers blowing their arms out, and hitters unable to catch up to gas. Abreu is listed at 37, who knows how old he really is.

My guess is 39, maybe 40.

• Like 1

Is the Rate constructed on a radioactive waste dump or an Indian Burial Ground or something? It’s not just the guys they kept who sucked. The guys no longer with the team suck too. ReyLo is like the only one who escaped the curse.

3 hours ago, Snowy Demon said:

30+ year old 1B/DHs do not age well.  They are not worth big contracts.  

He did most of his work in the MLB age 30+, including winning an MVP. He fell off a cliff at age 36. I sort of agree with the sentiment (don't sign a free agent 1B this offseason!), at the same time 1B/DH is exactly where you stick aging guys because they can't play the field anymore. It's probably just as fair to say that 30+-year-old athletes don't age well. 

10 minutes ago, nrockway said:

He did most of his work in the MLB age 30+, including winning an MVP. He fell off a cliff at age 36. I sort of agree with the sentiment (don't sign a free agent 1B this offseason!), at the same time 1B/DH is exactly where you stick aging guys because they can't play the field anymore. It's probably just as fair to say that 30+-year-old athletes don't age well. 

There will be a team that will sign Pete Alonso to a long term deal.  This will be a disasterous contract (my prediction anyway).

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Is the Rate constructed on a radioactive waste dump or an Indian Burial Ground or something? It’s not just the guys they kept who sucked. The guys no longer with the team suck too. ReyLo is like the only one who escaped the curse.

…just wait until you hear about what people say about The 78….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm bummed for him. He had the character the team is trying to build. Hell TLR cared enough to "run" to defend him. 

But this clears the way for our next manager. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I got a lot of grief on here for claiming AV could put up similar numbers for (essentially) free and letting Jose walk was the right move.  I'll pat myself on the back even though AV ain't what I thought he would be. 

Be patient...he's been coming on strong of late.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm bummed for him. He had the character the team is trying to build. Hell TLR cared enough to "run" to defend him. 

But this clears the way for our next manager. 

I don't see how this affects Albert Pujols.

• TLR 1

I'm still struggling with his 3 year contract.  What in the world made the Houston GM think that was necessary to sign him. This re-convinces me that most GMs are not very bright. Who advised him a year and a half ago?

8 hours ago, Rocky said:

The fans didn’t get a chance because of his decision not to play. The Sox tried and he didn’t want to give the fans the opportunity to say thanks.

I know. Which is why I want him to come back and do it right.