How much is a guy like Fedde worth in a trade?

10 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I have always felt the idea of quantifying an exact number of wins to make up based on a current record, player WAR, X number of acquisitions is very flawed. For instance, let's say this is a 50 win team. In my opinion, Grifol has probably lost this team around 10 or 12 games. That could be low but I absolutely believe that based on what I've watched. With a better manager maybe this team right here wins 60 or 62 games instead. 

Now let's say they have a closer. Not a great closer mind you, but just an actual closer and maybe setup man. I think they win an extra 8 or 10 games just right there. So now you're sitting at 70 wins. (Is this an exact science? No that's my point). But you add a bat that can hit you 30 hr via free agency, promote some talent that is ready (quero, schultz, maybe montgomery) and yes I think they can approach 80 wins at that point. It's not a billion dollars. This team is just absent basic necessities right now (closer, competent manager, a starting catcher not hitting .060). 

So sure. You can rationalize how I have here to "make up the appropriate win numbers" but I don't think a record is ever truly indicative of how good or bad a team can be next season because of all of the x factors I mentioned. And sorry, but I'd rather they field a team that can win 80 + games right away then bank on them fielding a consistent 90+ win team in 5 years. They will fail again to do the latter. 

This is a team being outscored by over 2 runs a game last I saw.  This isn't just adding a power hitter and hoping some kids do something bad.  I also think you are being WAAAAAY over crazy on the manager losing them 10 to 12 games, but then separating out also the pen as if they are separate things.

Fedde is on track for a 4 WAR season. None of his peripherals say he's overly lucky, in fact they say that he's basically the pitcher his ERA indicates he is. He's under contract for cheap for one more year as well. If he keeps this up until late July, the Sox should be looking for a guy around top 100 for him. I'd be looking at Giolito-esque value, although the Angels seriously overpaid for him. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 4

I can't help but wonder, If  Fedde and Crochet get traded who is going to pitch in the rotation the rest of the year. Things have been ugly this year and it will get worse if these 2 get traded. The team might not win 20 games the rest of the year. Is the objective to lose as many games as possible?

17 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder, If  Fedde and Crochet get traded who is going to pitch in the rotation the rest of the year. Things have been ugly this year and it will get worse if these 2 get traded. The team might not win 20 games the rest of the year. Is the objective to lose as many games as possible?

Cannon, Thorpe, Nastrini, Bush and maybe Eder/Iriarte/Adams

That whole AA rotation has earned a shot at the MLB this year

39 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Considering we are very close to halfway through this season and still haven't won 20 games yet, I think you are being overly optimistic. 

The answer is they know this franchise has the worst talent level from top to bottom in all of MLB, and they are going to have to look to put together something in the future, they aren't doing anything today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

In a season where they are going to lose 110-120 games does it even matter?

Who cares if it gets worse...let it. Become a complete total embarrassment. 

19 hours ago, hi8is said:

Welcome to what we’ve all been saying since about 2009.

Oh I'm well aware.... This organization is stuck in 2006. Anyone come up with a fountain of youth yet? And a clone machine? If so, give Jerry what he desires!! 26 cheap David Ecksteins!!! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

Oh I'm well aware.... This organization is stuck in 2006. Anyone come up with a fountain of youth yet? And a clone machine? If so, give Jerry what he desires!! 26 cheap David Ecksteins!!! 

I hope you are not suggesting cloning Jerry.  ?

49 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

I hope you are not suggesting cloning Jerry.  ?

I would never clone an owner who thinks a successful season is coming in 4th place! The guy only values profit margins. He doesn't give a crap about White Sox fans or his product on the field. If he did, he wouldn't have been so lazy with his GM hiring approach.  The dude sucks! 

"Sports is a business of failure but the fact that you finish second or third or fourth it doesn't mean you had a bad year." -Jerry Reinsdorf 

I think because of his performance and contract he brings back two back half top 100 (75 onward) or 45+FV value prospects. I personally think he winds up in Cleveland for Jaison Chourio and Ralphy Velazquez

• Like 2

Fedde made a discernable change in his pitching repertoire and is #16 in fwar.  He's worth a lot more than some team's spare parts or declining prospects (which Getz has to be on the lookout for).

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:49 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

In a season where they are going to lose 110-120 games does it even matter?

Who cares if it gets worse...let it. Become a complete total embarrassment. 

they already are. 

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Seems like Cleveland always gets the better end of trades with Sox. Of course, so does San Diego and Atlanta.

And Oakland and Tampa Bay and well… pretty much every team except the Nationals and Mariners.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:08 AM, chw42 said:

Fedde is on track for a 4 WAR season. None of his peripherals say he's overly lucky, in fact they say that he's basically the pitcher his ERA indicates he is. He's under contract for cheap for one more year as well. If he keeps this up until late July, the Sox should be looking for a guy around top 100 for him. I'd be looking at Giolito-esque value, although the Angels seriously overpaid for him. 

I have nothing really to say but Fedde was a brilliant pick up asset wise and I bet every GM was legit thinking "WTF, why didn't we do this? we let the fucking White Sox of all teams get this guy?" I'm a simple man and realist when it comes to White Sox scouting, I'd be happy with a future 5th starter and a AAAA position player. 

On 6/17/2024 at 1:44 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Braves are shaping up as another nice possible destination for Fedde. Their starting pitchers are dropping like flies and have to wonder if López can continue pitching like an ace into October.

Braves system stinks. I doubt they can get it done 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 1:28 AM, beautox said:

I think because of his performance and contract he brings back two back half top 100 (75 onward) or 45+FV value prospects. I personally think he winds up in Cleveland for Jaison Chourio and Ralphy Velazquez

The biggest problem for CLE is taking on additional financial commitments…but they have plenty of prospect capital.

On 6/18/2024 at 12:28 PM, beautox said:

This would be an amazing trade for the Sox but I don’t see Cleveland giving up this much for him.

38 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This would be an amazing trade for the Sox but I don’t see Cleveland giving up this much for him.

Especially with how much helium Junior Caminero has behind him with the Rays...they're not going to want to allow another future (potential) cost-controlled star to get away again.

Personally, 2027 ETA's feel a bit too far out right now, Getz really needs to start making an attempt to have a somewhat competitive team by the start of the 2026 season.

To have three years pass by without even a solid estimate for the fans of when they might actually be competitive is just too long.

Edited by caulfield12

On 6/17/2024 at 11:07 AM, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I doubt they'll push it that hard. Flexen, Clevinger, and probably a AAAA throw in or two in addition to some starts from Cannon and Thorpe, maybe NAstrini again and maybe Bush. 

There's always Touki Toussaint.