How much is a guy like Fedde worth in a trade?

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

The options are either to trade him now at his highest value, literally will never be higher than this moment right now, or watch him leave as a free agent after next season.

But what will a highest value Fedde bring? Somebody like a Scott Fletcher. He's not going to bring anybody useful to a tank/rebuild situation. And considering we'll need a Fedde or two to find for next year's club it makes zero sense.

• TLR 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Greg....how can he be in the rotation for 3-4 years when we only have him for 1.5 more years, JR doesn't pay pitchers and Fedde isn't going to sign a two year deal after proving his worth and oh there's the whole our lineup is dog s%*# so we need to flip whoever we can for young positional talent part too.

Let's revisit this when we trade the Fedde's of this team. See what the Sox get in return. Prolly some 15th round type guy who went to Auburn and some pitching prospect from the 17th round who went to Vandy. Big deal.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What is Fedde going to bring that is more valuable than Fedde? He's a nice find who can help the team the next 3-4 years. But instead we trade him for some player who resembles Fedde: affordable but just OK, like a Scott Fletcher type. Sad we can't just keep him when we are gonna need Fedde's on next year's roster anyway.

Fedde is going to be here for a year and a half and then be gone anyway.  What do we need Fedde for on a 100 loss roster?  Get the future guy for him and look for the next Fedde.

• Like 1

Just now, greg775 said:

But what will a highest value Fedde bring? Somebody like a Scott Fletcher. He's not going to bring anybody useful to a tank/rebuild situation. And considering we'll need a Fedde or two to find for next year's club it makes zero sense.

Trading Fedde for a prospect or two that can help this team for 6+ years soon is very valuable for our situation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Fedde is going to be here for a year and a half and then be gone anyway.  What do we need Fedde for on a 100 loss roster?  Get the future guy for him and look for the next Fedde.

How bizarre people can have such different views on how to build a team. I disagree with most of you 100 percent.

Edited by greg775
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I am not sure whose ass you pulled Scott Fletcher out of, but that's not the going price for a guy in Fedde's position.  Look at any of the deadline deals we made for our pitching last year, and realize at this point there are fewer sellers at this point than there were last year.

Just now, greg775 said:

How bizarre people can have such different views on how to build a team. I disagree with most of you 100 percent.

That's when I know I am not wrong.  It's when I agree with you that I reexamine my position to see if it is indeed wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Greg, in your mythical world of baseball, is every good Sox player signed to a lifetime contract like the MLB prior to free agency?  You have to factor in years of control in on every player, where the Sox are as a team and if they can compete (they can’t yet), as well as an owner that doesn’t like paying a premium to starting pitchers that are hitting free agency.

Your ideas would get the Sox to maybe be a .500 team and nothing better.  What does that achieve?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

front_151235__98371.1644202277.jpg?c=2

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Greg, in your mythical world of baseball, is every good Sox player signed to a lifetime contract like the MLB prior to free agency?  You have to factor in years of control in on every player, as well as an owner that doesn’t like paying a premium to starting pitchers that are hitting free agency.

Seems to me Fedde is a perfect No. 4 or 5 for a team like the Sox. Is he really gonna command 20 mill a season in the next deal he signs with somebody? He makes 7.5 a year for two years. Perfect type guy for our cheap front office.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Seems to me Fedde is a perfect No. 4 or 5 for a team like the Sox. Is he really gonna command 20 mill a season in the next deal he signs with somebody? He makes 7.5 a year for two years. Perfect type guy for our cheap front office.

And what is your lineup of starting position players to score runs after you have extended Fedde?  The Sox have almost nothing in the cupboard.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm guessing he'll get 12-14 a year for three years. JR won't do that and in this case since he'd be in his mid-30's that is probably the wise move. 

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm guessing he'll get 12-14 a year for three years. JR won't do that and in this case since he'd be in his mid-30's that is probably the wise move. 

At the rate he is going, he is a $20 million pitcher on the open market.

• Like 2

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

He’s almost Top 15 statistically in fWAR, so closer to TOR or at least a #2, compared to a 4/5.

Obviously not a long track record of doing that at the major league level, but 3 months is not insignicant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

A trade with the Brewers makes almost too much sense not to happen, unless another team bids higher.  The Brewers are desperate for cheap starting pitching.  Dallas Keuchel.  Nuff said…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

A trade with the Brewers makes almost too much sense not to happen, unless another team bids higher.  The Brewers are desperate for cheap starting pitching.  Dallas Keuchel.  Nuff said…

Plus it makes things tougher for the Cubs in all likelihood.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Plus it makes things tougher for the Cubs in all likelihood.

Cubs have so many problems right now it may not matter.  Underperforming offense and a garbage bullpen.  Even Kopech would be a huge upgrade for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Fedde currently ranked 14th overall in fWAR amongst pitchers at 2.4.  Given his cheap salary and extra year of control, he should be in demand by small and mid market teams.  A 50 FV positional prospect plus a solid secondary piece should be very much achievable.

• Like 1