How much is a guy like Fedde worth in a trade?

17 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I saw an interesting suggestion from fansided about a potential Braves deal. I miss not sure how I feel about it, but on the surface, I like it...

https://fansided.com/posts/3-emergency-braves-trades-to-replace-max-fried-after-surprising-injury

Fedde for Hackenburg and McCabe

I don't think this would get you even close. 

• Like 1

I actually think as Sox fans we probably overrate what Crochet and Robert get back. In fairness I think we'll get a pretty good return for both - but both have their warts which will impact how high end the return is. On Crochet's case, I've long said the health risk is why I take a deal now (presuming you get 80% of what you want) while as for Robert, given the duration and what I'll call different health risk (cause its there - but in my mind on a position player he's also around long enough that there is going to be a window where he's been healthy for a few months and putting up monsterous numbers - that is when you sell (if you don't think you can get 90% value right now).  

Re: Fedde - he has one year left in control and every start is showing he's the real deal.  I think the Sox aren't going to get an elite guy - but I could see them getting 2 back end top 100 guys plus some international money or draft picks and another intriguing flyer (especially from an org who has a 40 man crunch).  

• Like 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I actually think as Sox fans we probably overrate what Crochet and Robert get back. In fairness I think we'll get a pretty good return for both - but both have their warts which will impact how high end the return is. On Crochet's case, I've long said the health risk is why I take a deal now (presuming you get 80% of what you want) while as for Robert, given the duration and what I'll call different health risk (cause its there - but in my mind on a position player he's also around long enough that there is going to be a window where he's been healthy for a few months and putting up monsterous numbers - that is when you sell (if you don't think you can get 90% value right now).  

Re: Fedde - he has one year left in control and every start is showing he's the real deal.  I think the Sox aren't going to get an elite guy - but I could see them getting 2 back end top 100 guys plus some international money or draft picks and another intriguing flyer (especially from an org who has a 40 man crunch).  

Agreed on Robert.

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Agreed on Robert.

I think regarding Crochet - we aren't getting a Chris Sale package. Sale was a better prospect - he was tied to an attractive deal (like Crochet) but he was a proven ace with a long-term track record of durability.  Crochet is elite -> no question there, but the durability will cause him to trade at a discount.  In fairness, the right demand could drive a team to pay a premium where you get pretty hefty value for him anyway. Tons of teams looking for front end pitching and very minimal supply - so it just takes 2 who can squint and see a strategy to maximize his innings in the post-season and than like the LT attractiveness in the rotation which drives up the value.

With that said - I do think Crochet gets a high end prospect - I think if he had a better track record of health you would be talking at the deadline (with this sort of supply and demand) - 2 top 50 and another top 100 plus a flyer (and or international funds / draft picks / etc).  Right now my guess is 2 top 100 - one on the higher end and than a quality flyer (low level projectable guy and/or 40 man crunch guy)/funds/draft picks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

I saw an interesting suggestion from fansided about a potential Braves deal. I miss not sure how I feel about it, but on the surface, I like it...

https://fansided.com/posts/3-emergency-braves-trades-to-replace-max-fried-after-surprising-injury

Fedde for Hackenburg and McCabe

That article has a much higher return for Flaherty than Feddy, which is ridiculous.

I do like Nacho from the Braves, if he can stick at short. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  Somewhere around the end of the top 100, and another kind of a just missed guy should be the headliners of a Fedde deal.  Between his performance and his absolute bargain of a contract, dude shouldn't be cheap.  2 end of the top 10 guys is more like the price of Kopech.

Fedde should bring 2 real legit prospects .One for each year and at least one other piece. He's not flashy but right now I'd consider him to be top 25 starting pitcher in baseball. Doesn't he have just as much if not more bWAR as Crochet?

I legit think Crochet and Robert are overvalue by our desperate fans for high quality position player prospects but are under valuing Fedde. It's very much about about how you are performing right now and Fedde is near the top of that list.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

I am beginning to do a 180 on Luis Robert.  A month ago I did not want Robert traded.  However, with the piss poor approach he has had at the plate and not willingness to make adjustments, or be an RBI guy I'm all for trading him for the best deal. 

I think we get less for Fedde than most on here do. Add to that, we have a guy making decisions who has shown very little in the way of actual consistent talent acquisition via trade, and well....

5 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I think we get less for Fedde than most on here do. Add to that, we have a guy making decisions who has shown very little in the way of actual consistent talent acquisition via trade, and well....

You may very well be right BUT with the amount of buyers and teams needing pitching I think we maybe surprised. 

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

I don't understand this take.  On pace for an over 4 fWAR season. Sub 3 ERA. Baseball reference somehow has Fedde on pace for more like 6.5 WAR (4.7 currently, behind only Skubal in the AL). Controlled for another season at a super cheap $7.5M.  

Fedde should return a very nice prospect (40-75 range), plus a supporting piece in a club's top 10. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

It's not a great time to get position player prospects .Everyone is prospect hugging and overvaluing them .

Not only that but other GMs know Getz is operating under an owner crying poor and still wanting payroll slashed more. He's not in a very enviable position.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not a great time to get position player prospects .Everyone is prospect hugging and overvaluing them .

Not only that but other GMs know Getz is operating under an owner crying poor and still wanting payroll slashed more. He's not in a very enviable position.

But he well paid for it so I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. 

If what AJ said was accurate and he undercut Williams/Hahn to get it he's got no one to blame but himself (And of course Williams/Hahn deserved to be fired for their incompetence)

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

That article has a much higher return for Flaherty than Feddy, which is ridiculous.

I do like Nacho from the Braves, if he can stick at short. 

Looking at the Braves, unless they are willing to take pitching, they aren't a good match.

Regarding Crochet, he's starting tonight, so whatever has been said about him in the last 10 days is irrelevant. If he throws 6-7 innings of shutout or near shutout baseball with a bunch of K's, the value goes straight up.  What I'm fearful of is that he goes out and throws 2 innings of stud-like pitching, and they pull him like they did in his last pre-ASG start.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't understand this take.  On pace for an over 4 fWAR season. Sub 3 ERA. Baseball reference somehow has Fedde on pace for more like 6.5 WAR (4.7 currently, behind only Skubal in the AL). Controlled for another season at a super cheap $7.5M.  

Fedde should return a very nice prospect (40-75 range), plus a supporting piece in a club's top 10. 

I understand it, Fedde is doing something right now he has never done in the majors.  Wondering if he is going to turn back into a pumpkin is absolutely something another GM should be thinking about when dealing top prospects

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Regarding Crochet, he's starting tonight, so whatever has been said about him in the last 10 days is irrelevant. If he throws 6-7 innings of shutout or near shutout baseball with a bunch of K's, the value goes straight up.  What I'm fearful of is that he goes out and throws 2 innings of stud-like pitching, and they pull him like they did in his last pre-ASG start.

They pulled him specifically for that All Star appearance, so he would be fresh

5 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I am pretty sure the latter is closer to the plan than the former, but you never know with the White Sox.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

They pulled him specifically for that All Star appearance, so he would be fresh

That's what I thought, too. Others here don't agree.  If Sox want to trade him, he needs to go deep into game tonight.

Just now, oldsox said:

That's what I thought, too. Others here don't agree.  If Sox want to trade him, he needs to go deep into game tonight.

I don’t think any of these things are connected.  Crochet is a unicorn right now and nobody knows how much he will or should throw going forward and that’s gonna impact any deal.  Throwing 6-7 innings tonite might actually make another team reconsider because you are pushing Crochet’s arm into innings it has never approached 

• Like 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think any of these things are connected.  Crochet is a unicorn right now and nobody knows how much he will or should throw going forward and that’s gonna impact any deal.  Throwing 6-7 innings tonite might actually make another team reconsider because you are pushing Crochet’s arm into innings it has never approached 

Agreed. The statement that his value hinges on being able to throw 6-7 innings tonight is asinine.