How much is a guy like Fedde worth in a trade?

On 6/18/2024 at 12:13 PM, GreenSox said:

Fedde made a discernable change in his pitching repertoire and is #16 in fwar.  He's worth a lot more than some team's spare parts or declining prospects (which Getz has to be on the lookout for).

I bet he's on a lot of GM's easily duped lists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I bet he's on a lot of GM's easily duped lists.

We'll find out.  A tell is trading, say, a reliever for someone on the other team's 40-man.  That is usually a trade on the other team's terms.

Hahn made several such trades in July  - I never thought he was duped, but just doing the GM a favor or just being lazy.   We saw last summer what he can do when he really tried. 

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

We'll find out.  A tell is trading, say, a reliever for someone on the other team's 40-man.  That is usually a trade on the other team's terms.

Hahn made several such trades in July  - I never thought he was duped, but just doing the GM a favor or just being lazy.   We saw last summer what he can do when he really tried. 

Hahn was duped when he included Tatis in the Schields trade.

51 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Or you acquire more value getting guys already on the 40-man rather than players not yet on the 40-man. 

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Hahn was duped when he included Tatis in the Schields trade.

Hard to claim that someone is duped on his own player.  Trading Tatis was ignorance; or in hahn's case laziness and desperation.  Paddy advised him not to trade Tatis.

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Or you acquire more value getting guys already on the 40-man rather than players not yet on the 40-man. 

That could be true (although the exception); but that's where stunted and declining prospects hang out, so you have to be careful and precise in the scouting.  

“That was probably the last deal we made with having a short-term mindset in mind,” Hahn told MLB.com in 2019. “Ultimately when this thing gets right, we are going to once again have a shorter time arising goal with our trades. It doesn’t mean you want to make a deal that haunts you for the long term, obviously.”

It’s difficult to imagine Tatis would have been positioned to receive a nine-figure contract from the White Sox. Yasmani Grandal’s four-year, $73-million deal is the biggest in the history of Jerry Reinsdorf’s franchise.

Before the 2016 Futures Game at Petco Park in San Diego, a White Sox coach was asked if his team had any talented teenagers at their Arizona complex who would be invited to this showcase in the next few years.

“We did have one,’’ he said. “But we just traded him.’’

Then the coach went on to effusively praise Fernando Tatis Jr., whom the White Sox had signed as a 16-year-old in 2015. He described him as a complete package, with confidence and a sense of maturity to go with his speed-power tools. 

James Shields Trade Worked Out For Fernando Tatis Jr. And Padres — But Not For White Sox (forbes.com)

9 hours ago, WestEddy said:

The Sox 40 man is pretty much garbage, but they are headed to a crunch soon. I say if you target who is on a 40 man, you have to be confident they will be ready within a year or they could be part of the DFA-orama that is this current squad. Otherwise, take the guys you do not have to protect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“That was probably the last deal we made with having a short-term mindset in mind,” Hahn told MLB.com in 2019. “Ultimately when this thing gets right, we are going to once again have a shorter time arising goal with our trades. It doesn’t mean you want to make a deal that haunts you for the long term, obviously.”

It’s difficult to imagine Tatis would have been positioned to receive a nine-figure contract from the White Sox. Yasmani Grandal’s four-year, $73-million deal is the biggest in the history of Jerry Reinsdorf’s franchise.

Before the 2016 Futures Game at Petco Park in San Diego, a White Sox coach was asked if his team had any talented teenagers at their Arizona complex who would be invited to this showcase in the next few years.

“We did have one,’’ he said. “But we just traded him.’’

Then the coach went on to effusively praise Fernando Tatis Jr., whom the White Sox had signed as a 16-year-old in 2015. He described him as a complete package, with confidence and a sense of maturity to go with his speed-power tools. 

James Shields Trade Worked Out For Fernando Tatis Jr. And Padres — But Not For White Sox (forbes.com)

Well that guy was definitely wrong about the sense of maturity. 

5 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Well that guy was definitely wrong about the sense of maturity. 

But in another way, he wasn’t, because nobody at that moment could have imagined him making the majors at just 19-20, 2 1/2 years later.

MLBTR chat today:

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with-mlbtrs-steve-adams-6-25-24-18681.html

Erick Fedde
1:08
I've seen many trade proposals regarding my name. Many White Sox fans says I'm worth a top 100. What do I realistically bring back in a retur

1:09
what do I bring back in return?

Steve Adams
1:09
I think it's fair to ask one 50-FV prospect back... basically a back-half top-100 guy or someone who's not far off that, yeah. Add in a secondary piece or two as well.

• Like 2

I think Fedde has made a clear case that whatever changes he has made in Korea have translated to the US, and he is finally living up to his first round grade.  if you include his Korean performance as a part of his step forward, that makes two years of this, so you can feel comfortable of being beyond the "fluke" stage.  His peripherals show maybe a half run worse than he has been so far, but going from 3.00 to 3.50 era isn't going to be a HUGE difference in the trade market.  All things considered, I think the asking price of a solid top 100, plus another decent piece fits the bill.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think Fedde has made a clear case that whatever changes he has made in Korea have translated to the US, and he is finally living up to his first round grade.  if you include his Korean performance as a part of his step forward, that makes two years of this, so you can feel comfortable of being beyond the "fluke" stage.  His peripherals show maybe a half run worse than he has been so far, but going from 3.00 to 3.50 era isn't going to be a HUGE difference in the trade market.  All things considered, I think the asking price of a solid top 100, plus another decent piece fits the bill.

I understand all your guys' positions re. trading Fedde. As a "sports fan" I'll just accept your reasoning but I still can be a little sad that the Sox bring in a guy who turned his career around in Korea but refuse to keep him on the team for years to come even though he'll be one of our stout rotational pieces for 3-4 years. Very sad we can't do that these days. We trade the poor guy who is comfy in Chicago making a comeback. he'll prolly stink at his next venue. Sad the Sox can't just keep the nice find in Fedde.

Just now, greg775 said:

I understand all your guys' positions re. trading Fedde. As a "sports fan" I'll just accept your reasoning but I still can be a little sad that the Sox bring in a guy who turned his career around in Korea but refuse to keep him on the team for years to come even though he'll be one of our stout rotational pieces for 3-4 years. Very sad we can't do that these days. We trade the poor guy who is comfy in Chicago making a comeback. he'll prolly stink at his next venue. Sad the Sox can't just keep the nice find in Fedde.

Lol, wat?  

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The options are either to trade him now at his highest value, literally will never be higher than this moment right now, or watch him leave as a free agent after next season.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg....how can he be in the rotation for 3-4 years when we only have him for 1.5 more years, JR doesn't pay pitchers and Fedde isn't going to sign a two year deal after proving his worth and oh there's the whole our lineup is dog s%*# so we need to flip whoever we can for young positional talent part too.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lol, wat?  

What is Fedde going to bring that is more valuable than Fedde? He's a nice find who can help the team the next 3-4 years. But instead we trade him for some player who resembles Fedde: affordable but just OK, like a Scott Fletcher type. Sad we can't just keep him when we are gonna need Fedde's on next year's roster anyway.