How much is a guy like Fedde worth in a trade?

9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Regarding Crochet, he's starting tonight, so whatever has been said about him in the last 10 days is irrelevant. If he throws 6-7 innings of shutout or near shutout baseball with a bunch of K's, the value goes straight up.  What I'm fearful of is that he goes out and throws 2 innings of stud-like pitching, and they pull him like they did in his last pre-ASG start.

That would be the smart thing to do. The more innings he throws now the less he can throw for his new team. The tram that is acquiring him will appreciate the shorter outing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ptatc said:

That would be the smart thing to do. The more innings he throws now the less he can throw for his new team. The tram that is acquiring him will appreciate the shorter outing.

That's what I keep reading anyway.

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think any of these things are connected.  Crochet is a unicorn right now and nobody knows how much he will or should throw going forward and that’s gonna impact any deal.  Throwing 6-7 innings tonite might actually make another team reconsider because you are pushing Crochet’s arm into innings it has never approached 

Pushing him into innings he's never thrown before?

He's well past that already. He's past the number he's thrown in his entire professional career combined.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Was going to say, unless him leaving early is because of an injury, I don't think this one start is going (whether it's 2 innings or 6 innings) is going to budge his value in either direction.

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think any of these things are connected.  Crochet is a unicorn right now and nobody knows how much he will or should throw going forward and that’s gonna impact any deal.  Throwing 6-7 innings tonite might actually make another team reconsider because you are pushing Crochet’s arm into innings it has never approached 

I saw it as more of an opportunity to keep him fresh. Him starting a game on Friday and going deep wouldn't effect him going an inning on Tuesday (for All-Star game). Guys throw in between starts. That's all it would have been.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I saw it as more of an opportunity to keep him fresh. Him starting a game on Friday and going deep wouldn't effect him going an inning on Tuesday (for All-Star game).

Honestly, I was really hoping they would have him traded by now, but getting top dollar is more important than when, so if this is what it takes, cool.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Pushing him into innings he's never thrown before?

He's well past that already. He's past the number he's thrown in his entire professional career combined.

I know

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But he well paid for it so I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. 

If what AJ said was accurate and he undercut Williams/Hahn to get it he's got no one to blame but himself (And of course Williams/Hahn deserved to be fired for their incompetence)

I do have sympathy for him.How much money he makes is of no consequence. Can't be bitter about everything Sox related. Just throw my hands and say nothing I can do about it.

No doubt he wanted the job but hard to judge the competence of anyone without keeping in mind his many restrictions. He been mostly dealing with fringe players so far and GMs who knows JR is just cutting expenses to make the team sellable for his heirs. He's going to have to sift through a lot of bad offers and I expect he'll be getting some pretty weak offers filled with pitchers and 1st base DH types right up until the last day or 2.

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am pretty sure the latter is closer to the plan than the former, but you never know with the White Sox.

Probably goes 5 innings or 75 pitches max .That's my guess for tonight.

I don't care how desperate they are for a win ,Crochet should go 5 or less .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

That's what I thought, too. Others here don't agree.  If Sox want to trade him, he needs to go deep into game tonight.

No he doesn't. Every team knows he won't be able to keep having starts like that. Throwing deep into the game tonight won't change that.  Every pitch throws  is a risk. He gets hit with a line drive or needs to cover home on a bang bang play is just asking for a disaster to screw up the trade.

Yesterday watching Robert try to score on a pitch that got away made all Sox fans watching cringe when he collided with the pitcher.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I do have sympathy for him. How much money he makes is of no consequence. Can't be bitter about everything Sox related. Just throw my hands and say nothing I can do about it.

No doubt he wanted the job but hard to judge the competence of anyone without keeping in mind his many restrictions. He been mostly dealing with fringe players so far and GMs who knows JR is just cutting expenses to make the team sellable for his heirs. He's going to have to sift through a lot of bad offers and I expect he'll be getting some pretty weak offers filled with pitchers and 1st base DH types right up until the last day or 2.

Guess it depends on the individual if I was working for JR and making six figures I'd do my best to try to win (and look good in the process) but if I failed that six figures more than makes up for it. As well as in JR's world a tendency to highly value loyalty (i.e. rare firings). 

If Getz played dirty to get the job, well he knew what he was getting into working for JR. He certainly couldn't plead ignorance, not after all the time he spent in the organization.  

On 7/23/2024 at 2:11 PM, Capn12 said:

I think we get less for Fedde than most on here do. Add to that, we have a guy making decisions who has shown very little in the way of actual consistent talent acquisition via trade, and well....

200.webp

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Apparently, he's worth a former top 50 rated prospect whose star has dimmed greatly over the past 2 years

Dodgers could either DFA him or trade him to White Sox

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Apparently he's worth a former top 50 rated prospect who's star has dimmed greatly over the past 2 years

Both the one they asked St Louis for, and the one they got from LAD.

25 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Dodgers could either DFA him or trade him to White Sox

Lol I understand Vargas isn't as exciting as he was 12 months ago, but he was not a DFA candidate, let's be serious here. Colson Montgomery is hitting a wall right now and sliding down top 100 boards too, but you probably aren't ready to say he's worthless now too.

I definitely wanted more of a sure thing to heading a Fedde deal, and I'm far from excited about this return, but there is a real chance Vargas ends up being a league average player for us for a few years.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Lol I understand Vargas isn't as exciting as he was 12 months ago, but he was not a DFA candidate, let's be serious here. Colson Montgomery is hitting a wall right now and sliding down top 100 boards too, but you probably aren't ready to say he's worthless now too.

I definitely wanted more of a sure thing to heading a Fedde deal, and I'm far from excited about this return, but there is a real chance Vargas ends up being a league average player for us for a few years.

People are no longer thinking of him as a centerpiece of the rebuild for sure.  They are taking in this new information and adjusting expectations.

Everytime some big news breaks the site grinds to a halt, today was really bad

is there something we can do, upgrade our hosting or server? I'm sure we can donate to a PayPal or something

• Like 1