6/16 Sox @ D-backs 3:10PM CT

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

And then they optioned Chuckie to AAA? Maybe they were running up against a deadline for Robinson's contract? 

Not sure why anyone would care about losing a 29 year old career minor leaguer.  The Sox could pick up a catcher off the free agent/waiver wire that would be just as bad.

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

Suddenly the argument that "Charlotte is a bad environment for pitchers to develop vs. the majors" seems dumb

the issue is that his fastball sucks, right? I'm not watching beyond the two innings I've already watched, but seemingly 99% of the time he throws it, it's a 92mph meatball right down the middle of the plate. if he only threw it on the edges or out of the zone, fine, but he doesn't. maybe he's trying to but can't command it. 

I bet he'll get sent down to AAA because that seems to be the pattern: AA->MLB->AAA. But it's probably good to find out how bad of a pitch his fastball is against real hitters.

edit: sure glad I didn't go to this game.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

the issue is that his fastball sucks, right? I'm not watching beyond the two innings I've already watched, but seemingly 99% of the time he throws it, it's a 92mph meatball right down the middle of the plate. if he only threw it on the edges or out of the zone, fine, but he doesn't. maybe he's trying to but can't command it. 

I bet he'll get sent down to AAA because that seems to be the pattern: AA->MLB->AAA. But it's probably good to find out how bad of a pitch his fastball is against real hitters.

No the issue is his control, which from my understanding isn't normally an issue. Seems like nerves.

6 minutes ago, nrockway said:

He did throw some good ones that had movement in his first start.  But yeah, it seems like his fastball is in the 91-93 range but he far too often throws a 91/92 MPH straight-as-an-arrow meatball right over the cock of the plate, which is absolute meat to MLB hitters.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

25 minutes ago, Quin said:

Suddenly the argument that "Charlotte is a bad environment for pitchers to develop vs. the majors" seems dumb

You know what else is a bad environment to develop pitchers?  MLB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You know what else is a bad environment to develop pitchers?  MLB.

Surely our GM, with experience as a director of player development, would know better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Face it, the Chad Kuhl acquisition looks a little grim.

He will be yet another quick DFA for a GM who is becoming a master at cutting his own awful acquisitions in lightning speed.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Face it, the Chad Kuhl acquisition looks a little grim.

I feel for Kuhl and his wife, but he was never particularly good. What the Sox were thinking when they added him to the 40 man, I do not know. He'll probably have to wear it today, which is unfortunate.