Sox select Chuckie Robinson, DFA Ellis and then claimed by Mets

Quin

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

that's too bad. I bet a team picks him up. I guess I thought he would be a better defender and could be a solid utility outfielder, Nicky Lopez in the outfield but with speed. seems short-sighted. and in part infuriating that they're selecting a catcher and not DFAing Maldonado...

He can’t hit, at all.  His career minor league line is:

.241 AVG  / .328 OBP  / .333 SLG  / .661 OPS

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He can’t hit, at all.  His career minor league line is:

.241 AVG  / .328 OBP  / .333 SLG  / .661 OPS

right, but he also has a .341 OBP at AA, something that seems to me to be a translatable skill if you give him more than four at bats. He also has the speed to potentially be a good center fielder if you let him practice, get over nerves, actually let him start instead of come in as a sub in the 8th. my only point is that he's a pretty marginal player, but he has some useful tools and there's literally no point in keeping a guy like Maldonado over him if you're selecting a catcher anyway. Billy Hamilton is the easy comp, a career 66 OPS+ hitter who managed to be a useful ball player for about a decade. 

personally, I was surprised they added him to the 40-man roster even if they needed an injury sub. he's "old" but he clearly still needs a lot of polish in the minors. The Sox have time to see if they can polish him into a useful player, and maybe he makes it through waivers.  His defense was tragic, but he's fast enough to turn into a good outfielder with proper coaching.  What is Grady Sizemore doing for this team anyway? because all of the outfielders not named Luis Robert are terrible defenders. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nrockway said:

right, but he also has a .341 OBP at AA, something that seems to me to be a translatable skill if you give him more than four at bats. He also has the speed to potentially be a good center fielder if you let him practice, get over nerves, actually let him start instead of come in as a sub in the 8th. my only point is that he's a pretty marginal player, but he has some useful tools and there's literally no point in keeping a guy like Maldonado over him if you're selecting a catcher anyway. Billy Hamilton is the easy comp, a career 66 OPS+ hitter who managed to be a useful ball player for about a decade. 

personally, I was surprised they added him to the 40-man roster even if they needed an injury sub. he's "old" but he clearly still needs a lot of polish in the minors. The Sox have time to see if they can polish him into a useful player, and maybe he makes it through waivers.  His defense was tragic, but he's fast enough to turn into a good outfielder with proper coaching.  What is Grady Sizemore doing for this team anyway? because all of the outfielders not named Luis Robert are terrible defenders. 

We’ve seen this song and dance before.  When minor leaguers with absolutely zero power come to the majors, major league pitchers challenge them, and it doesn’t go well.  Madrigal and Lopez are examples of this.  I don’t see much value as a fifth outfielder.  And fast guys like that with one tool of speed are always available — Billy Hamilton, Bubba Thompson.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

Just FYI since it has been speculated Grifol made clear the Robinson move has nothing to do with Maldonado. Robinson had it in his contract he had to be added to the 40-man by today or he could walk.

With Stassi out for the year, Sox needed catching insurance.  

• Like 1

We're arguing which player who would never be a part of even a .500 team we should have kept? 

I really miss the days when Leury was the worst player on the roster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We're arguing which player who would never be a part of even a .500 team we should have kept? 

I really miss the days when Leury was the worst player on the roster. 

It’s horribly depressing that Leury Garcia would be an IMPROVEMENT over the highest paid player in team history. ??‍♂️

12 hours ago, hi8is said:

It’s horribly depressing that Leury Garcia would be an IMPROVEMENT over the highest paid player in team history. ??‍♂️

After the lockout, I don't care how much money a player makes. Almost everyone here wanted the players to get everything they asked for and screw the owners. 

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

After the lockout, I don't care how much money a player makes. Almost everyone here wanted the players to get everything they asked for and screw the owners. 

Okay, but ideally your team is paying good players a lot of money.  Not crappy ones.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Okay, but ideally your team is paying good players a lot of money.  Not crappy ones.

Ideally they have good players. 

39 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Ideally they have good players. 

So why pay bad ones more money than they are worth?  Either sign better free agents or play young players.  There was really no reason for Getz to waste millions on guys like Maldonado and Lopez this year.  It sure didn’t pay off.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So why pay bad ones more money than they are worth?  Either sign better free agents or play young players.  There was really no reason for Getz to waste millions on guys like Maldonado and Lopez this year.  It sure didn’t pay off.

What they are worth? That's an interesting question. Compared to doctors? Soldiers? Accountants? 

Or are they worth a share of the profits that the company earns? 

Duke Ellis fucking sucks. Like that clown Remillard not only does he suck, he's also a fucking space cadet. f*** all these guys and f*** Getz for forcing us to watch them. These guys aren't MLB players, they are career minor leaguers that were lucky enough to in the worst org in baseball so they could get a MLB pension and check.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Duke Ellis fucking sucks. Like that clown Remillard not only does he suck, he's also a fucking space cadet. f*** all these guys and f*** Getz for forcing us to watch them. These guys aren't MLB players, they are career minor leaguers that were lucky enough to in the worst org in baseball so they could get a MLB pension and check.

Why are you so angry at two guys chasing their dreams? There are plenty of long time minor league players that get a cup of coffee for MLB teams every year

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why are you so angry at two guys chasing their dreams? There are plenty of long time minor league players that get a cup of coffee for MLB teams every year

Go chase dreams some where other than this historically bad team. As a fan I hate them as players, as people I am sure they are decent enough.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

What they are worth? That's an interesting question. Compared to doctors? Soldiers? Accountants? 

Or are they worth a share of the profits that the company earns? 

I’m pretty sure you already know the answer to your last question.

But you’ve watched them play this year.  Do you think Maldonado is worth $4.5 million and Lopez is worth $4.3 million?

On 6/16/2024 at 1:43 PM, hi8is said:

And dropped 18 balls or more… and demonstrated a wet noodle arm… and missed 63 bunt attempts.

It would have been glorious.

This is what’s called “cutting to the chase.” ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m pretty sure you already know the answer to your last question.

But you’ve watched them play this year.  Do you think Maldonado is worth $4.5 million and Lopez is worth $4.3 million?

For a team that brings in a couple hundred million? Yes. 

Do you think JR and the rest of the investors are worth those millions? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

For a team that brings in a couple hundred million? Yes. 

Do you think JR and the rest of the investors are worth those millions? 

So bad players are worth millions just because the Sox make a lot of money and can afford it?  Huh?

Other MLB teams make millions as well and even more than the Sox.  They didn’t waste $8.8 million on these same two awful players.

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So bad players are worth millions just because the Sox make a lot of money and can afford it?  Huh?

Other MLB teams make millions as well and even more than the Sox.  They didn’t waste $8.8 million on these same two awful players.

Yes. The people that are generating all those billions in profit deserve their share. Even a crappy player generators a lot of profit for the company. The MLB average salary is over $4,500,000. Are those averages based on the players contribution to humanity or the profits generated by baseball teams? So yes, the company is profitable and the employees deserve their fair share. 

The Sox and the rest of the league take the work of players and generate profits. Like every other company salaries are based on profitability. 

The current minimum salary in baseball is $750,000. I think that's too low. $3,000,000 would be an easy change. And teams would still generate generational wealth. 

image.png

JR to MLB ownership "You new owners throwing around these big contacts are fools. This is why I'm the master of ownership. I have it to the point that Sox fans are worried about me making enough money. Lol They side with me over the players."

If you would like a different example look at Amazon and Walmart. They thrived and built empires on paying their employees as cheaply as possible while the owners became some of the wealthiest individuals in the planet. Their employees were schooled by HR on the various government programs available for low income workers. I find that morally wrong. 

I will always take the side if the employees. But hey, you like the employer side. 

• Like 1

If you feel like it look through 205 pages of posters wanting players to get more. How the players share if revenue dropped from almost 2/3 to less than half in ten years. 

• Like 1