Sox select Chuckie Robinson, DFA Ellis and then claimed by Mets

Quin

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's played like 50 games at AA.  Again, there is a massive difference between Winston Salem and Chicago when it comes to the skill of their opponents.  Duke is effectively learning AA speed, and got thrown to the Wolves at full speed.  It's like taking the NCAA champion in the 100 meters, and putting him into an Olympic heat.

What an awful analogy lol

11 minutes ago, nrockway said:

according to Fangraphs, Maldonado is ranked 101st out of 102 in "framing". 96th in "defensive runs saved". Is he any good at calling pitches? My instinct says no, he seems to call for the wrong pitch quite often (and pitchers should be calling it themselves anyway).

I think anyone with a brain would have seen value in building chemistry between Lee/Quero and the various pitchers instead of expecting Maldonado to develop them. We all make mistakes but someone without an ego would have cut Maldonado a long time ago. 

So 26 year old Ellis isn’t ready to pinch run in mlb but 21 year old Quero is ready to play the most difficult defensive position in mlb? Got it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So 26 year old Ellis isn’t ready to pinch run in mlb but 21 year old Quero is ready to play the most difficult defensive position in mlb? Got it

You do understand that age isn't everything an experience at relative levels matters right?  It isn't nearly as simple as age 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You do understand that age isn't everything an experience at relative levels matters right?  It isn't nearly as simple as age 

You do understand that Ellis has been in pro ball as long as Quero and played 4 years of college ball before that right?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who said that? Are you saying Quero has more experience and is more mlb ready than Ellis? Otherwise, wtf are you even arguing at this point?

I am clearly say Duke Ellis is raw and unready for MLB paced baseball at this stage of his career.  I am not sure why this is confusing. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am clearly say Duke Ellis is raw and unready for MLB paced baseball at this stage of his career.  I am not sure why this is confusing. 

He’s “raw” because he sucks, I am not sure why this is confusing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quin said:

Gonzalez is 27-years-old, for what it's worth. But he was DFA'd to make room for Brebbia (who started out as a dumpster fire and is now getting better). Romy hasn't been amazing, but he'd be one of the better bats in the Sox lineup. 

Just like Declan Cronin was DFA'd to make room for Tim Hill, who was hot garbage.

My mistake on his age; that is a big difference, but he's still younger.  And  there's never a point where you need 4 Mendicks on the roster.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ellis is also 26, and was never expected to be anything. He was promoted as an emergency measure when 2 OFs went on the IL. I don't know why you guys expend so much energy bemoaning the clearing out of 4th OFs and last utility infielders on the bench. There's a reason why they didn't do this to Terrel Tatum or Jaime Burke. Those guys more describe the argument you're about to make about amassing "interesting prospects". 

55 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I didn't say call up Quero. He's already working with those guys in AA. I didn't write anything about pinch running either. Your post confuses me because it seems like you're arguing with a ghost and quoted me for some reason, considering I didn't write about whatever you're addressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Ellis is also 26, and was never expected to be anything. He was promoted as an emergency measure when 2 OFs went on the IL. I don't know why you guys expend so much energy bemoaning the clearing out of 4th OFs and last utility infielders on the bench. There's a reason why they didn't do this to Terrel Tatum or Jaime Burke. Those guys more describe the argument you're about to make about amassing "interesting prospects". 

It’s complaining just to complain. That’s all it is. Getz inherited the worst roster in MLB less than a year ago. He had zero payroll flexibility last offseason. I don’t know how anyone can judge him yet when all he’s been able to do is dive in the bargain bin for ONE offseason. The one multi year contract he did offer has been one of the best free agent signings of last offseason. Let’s at least give this trade deadline and another offseason before we crucify him for every single move he makes, good lord.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think the need to rip Getz for every. single. move. he makes is why you are confused.

They're screaming that these guys should be starting every game the rest of the way to "learn", but every mistake they make is Getz' fault, because they didn't learn how to deal with every possible situation that happens at twice the speed at the major league level - in the minors. That's Entertainment!

3 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I didn't say call up Quero. He's already working with those guys in AA. I didn't write anything about pinch running either. Your post confuses me because it seems like you're arguing with a ghost and quoted me for some reason, considering I didn't write about whatever you're addressing.

“I think anyone with a brain would have seen value in building chemistry between Lee/Quero and the various pitchers instead of expecting Maldonado to develop them.”

^then wtf is that? Is this not implying Quero should be with the big club instead of Maldonado or am I taking crazy pills?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

They're screaming that these guys should be starting every game the rest of the way to "learn", but every mistake they make is Getz' fault, because they didn't learn how to deal with every possible situation that happens at twice the speed at the major league level - in the minors. That's Entertainment!

And they don’t understand why I am confused…. They don’t like signing one year vets for trash bin prices, they want to see the young guys play for the Sox now but then complain that they aren’t ready, and they expend an incredible amount of energy about DFAing inconsequential minor leaguers or guys like JRod before they even know the whole story. Got it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think the need to rip Getz for every. single. move. he makes is why you are confused.

If you think Getz isn't making moves that deserve mockery, well that explains why you arguing this is OK in the first place.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s complaining just to complain. That’s all it is. Getz inherited the worst roster in MLB less than a year ago. He had zero payroll flexibility last offseason. I don’t know how anyone can judge him yet when all he’s been able to do is dive in the bargain bin for ONE offseason. The one multi year contract he did offer has been one of the best free agent signings of last offseason. Let’s at least give this trade deadline and another offseason before we crucify him for every single move he makes, good lord.

But chasing those people around to argue with them is complaining about complaining to complain, and is way better.

And yes you can absolutely judge him for protecting the worst catcher in baseball with another terrible minor league catcher and giving up prospects to do it when you have career minor leaguers who don't matter who you could have used in the panics.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you think Getz isn't making moves that deserve mockery, well that explains why you arguing this is OK in the first place.

He’s made some good moves and he’s made some bad moves. Given what he was handed less than 12 months ago, I don’t have a strong opinion one way or another yet. Check back with me in another 12 months.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But chasing those people around to argue with them is complaining about complaining to complain, and is way better.

And yes you can absolutely judge him for protecting the worst catcher in baseball with another terrible minor league catcher and giving up prospects to do it when you have career minor leaguers who don't matter who you could have used in the panics.

I’m not chasing anyone. I responded to one of your quotes with a statement that Ellis sure looked like s%*# in his limited time in mlb. You brought the GM into the discussion, which seems to be a common theme for you. Every. single. move is the GM’s fault. Never the player’s fault (unless the GM traded for him like Fletcher or signed him like Maldonado then it’s the player and GM’s fault).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not chasing anyone. I responded to one of your quotes with a statement that Ellis sure looked like s%*# in his limited time in mlb. You brought the GM into the discussion, which seems to be a common theme for you. Every. single. move is the GM’s fault. Never the player’s fault (unless the GM traded for him like Fletcher or signed him like Maldonado then it’s the player and GM’s fault).

Roster management is quite literally the job of the GM.  I don't even know what else to say.  We are having a conversation about a player being lost to the waiver wire and somehow the GM isn't to blame?  Uh, sure.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Roster management is quite literally the job of the GM.  I don't even know what else to say.  We are having a conversation about a player being lost to the waiver wire and somehow the GM isn't to blame?  Uh, sure.  

Oh, that explains a lot. See, I don’t view Ellis as a loss. He sucks. He’s a 26 year old with a career .661 OPS in the minor leagues. Sure, he’s fast but you can’t steal first base. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

“I think anyone with a brain would have seen value in building chemistry between Lee/Quero and the various pitchers instead of expecting Maldonado to develop them.”

^then wtf is that? Is this not implying Quero should be with the big club instead of Maldonado or am I taking crazy pills?

All the young pitchers are already in AA (or were just there). He’s literally already doing it; and Lee should be doing it every day for the MLB club. That was the implication, then Chuckie or Perez can play back up. It’s basically an irrelevant point though, it’s just to say that I don’t see any point in a one year terrible veteran “working” with long term players (Maldonado). He’s not suppressing Quero specifically, but clearly his contract and roster spot is harming the team, at least in my opinion.