6/17 Games

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Bad faith? You complain, daily, about most prospects. They're prospects. They will adjust to the league, then the league will adjust back. Pitchers will be instructed to work on a particular pitch, set-up or sequence, regardless of the results, just to learn. Bad months will ensue. We're all looking at the same games, the same dataset.

To constantly express concern where there aren't really issues has a name. It's called concern trolling. It has been duly noted that you have concerns, and haven't bought in to any player in our system, and won't until they're enshrined in the HOF. You choose to remind us every day. You are casting judgement. You don't have the power to cast "final" judgement, so I have no idea what needle you're threading there. 

I don't complain daily about most prospects. I will make a comment in support when they have a good game. 

I'm in this forum every day. I don't come in here and s%*# on prospects constantly, if you're getting that idea idk where that is coming from. I am reacting to that day's performance in the gamethread. 

Occasionally I will make a negative comment or two, but i don't think any comments I have made are particularly unreasonable. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

12 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Right now, on June 18th 2024, the Cease trade looks like hot garbage. 

Plenty of time for that to change. 

Iriarte could get his s%*# together

Thorpe could get his command back and show why he was damn near unhittable in the minors

Zavala is 19 in A+, so he has plenty of time. 

Like others have said, if you could keep your pseudo Fathom routine on the other board and leave this one alone, that would be great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Like others have said, if you could keep your pseudo Fathom routine on the other board and leave this one alone, that would be great. 

Idk if you know, I am in this forum right now more than I'm in the main one. This is a rebuild. The players that matter are in the minors, outside of guys like Thorpe and Cannon. 

Just now, baseball_gal_aly said:

Idk if you know, I am in this forum right now more than I'm in the main one. This is a rebuild. 

Then please leave. There's a reason most of the regulars on this board don't post on the main board. Read the room.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Then please leave. There's a reason most of the regulars on this board don't post on the main board. Read the room.

Not going anywhere. 

I want to discuss prospects as they relate to the big club. 

Maybe it's not the posts I'm making but the words I choose to use? Idk.

Just now, baseball_gal_aly said:

Not going anywhere. 

I'll apologize for starting out strong on you. 

Look at your first post, and look at the reactions to it. Calling players garbage is pejorative. Calling a trade of players garbage is still about the players. 

Maybe read up more on the games to get a more nuanced feel for how people who watch and analyze minor league development speak about the results?

https://soxmachine.com/2024/06/white-sox-minor-keys-june-18-2024/

When he (Iriarte) came back out for the third, he struck out the side on 12 pitches, and he and Edgar Quero high-fived on the field before returning to the dugout. He made it through his next three innings unscathed as well. I wouldn’t argue that he pitched better than his line, but he started locating his slider and stopped being the guy he was in the first two innings, and that counts for something.

Advertisement

39 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Not going anywhere. 

I for one am happy to have increased discussion and activity on the prospects board and don’t want you to “go anywhere.” I just wish you’d tune down the constant negativity and extra hot takes anytime someone struggles. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Not going anywhere. 

I think everyone is trying to say this area is a different vibe.  People are looking for positives and hope, along with more deep discussions, not just dwelling on failures and bad days.  People aren't looking for the negatives here.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I mean, in my opinion, it's more that your mindset doesn't always seem super compatible with healthy prospect watching?

I started to respond to your "hot garbage" take yesterday, to point out how disproportionate of a reaction that is to a 23 year old having one bad start in his first stint in the majors after embarrassing AA hitters all season, or a 22 year old Iriarte having a rough patch in the midst of an otherwise fine year.

I was going to cite, @WestEddy did, how Zavala has an insane OBP in June with 16 BB to 7K as a young-for-level teenager.

I thought about pointing out how Cease has a 6.32 ERA in June, or how his last start (3.2IP, 7ER) was comparable to Thorpe's (3.1IP, 7ER) and worse than Iriarte's (6IP, 5ER) so even a SSS-based judgement wouldn't support a "hot garbage" grade.

But as I was looking up the numbers, I felt like...what's the point?

Your primary focus seems to be looking for the first sign of "concern", and then immediately extrapolating that into the worse case scenario and making sure everyone knows that you were the first to see through the smokescreen of industry evaluators/prospect rankings/fan optimism I guess?

And a lot (most?) of it seems based on watching box scores rather than games or scouting reports, which simply doesn't tell you enough about an environment in which everyone is a work in progress and that progression isn't linear.

Guys will have 0-10 stretches where they're doing everything right and smoking the ball, but finding gloves every time. Pitchers will be adjusting arsenals and sequencing, and get burned for a crooked number in the process. If you're ready to write off a guy every time that happens, you're in for a terrible time.

The views on the vast majority of prospects should exist somewhere between "mildly concerned" and "cautiously optimistic" on a given day, so the ease and frequency at which your dial flips to judgements like "hot garbage" is automatically out of place.

"Concern" is saying "Thorpe will need to be smart with sequencing to make sure his lower velo arsenal plays in the bigs" or "Wolkow needs to improve his K% before we can project what he might do at higher levels."

It's not popping in here after you see Colson have an 0-4 day to ask how long until he falls off Top 100 lists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 3