CANNON FIRE! And that is a White Sox winner!

55 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He said he went back down to Charlotte to work on some deficiencies but didn't say what they were. Didn't throw many 4 seamers tonight.

Sweeper sinker mainly but good use of the change up too.

Schriffen said on the broadcast he worked on a changeup. Nice work, Johnny, he's throwing it between 54-109 MPH now according to Statcast. That'll be hard to hit so long as hitters lay off the 130 MPH fastball. They talk about a good changeup being 10MPH slower than the fastball, but what do they say about 80 MPH slower?

• Haha 1

Sox win again. With just two hits.

Look, I heard on the broadcast the Sox have a ton of young pitching. With Cannon, Crochet, Thorpe and some of the AA guys the Sox may have a good start toward a mediocre staff. I repeat, no need to trade everybody. Let's buy some players this offseason and go .500 and make the playoffs.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sox win again. With just two hits.

Look, I heard on the broadcast the Sox have a ton of young pitching. With Cannon, Crochet, Thorpe and some of the AA guys the Sox may have a good start toward a mediocre staff. I repeat, no need to trade everybody. Let's buy some players this offseason and go .500 and make the playoffs.

And we can all buy a house or 2 with our Moneyline bets!

Edited by DoUEvenShift
  • Like 1

for some reason, my cell phone has started sending me notifications for Sox players' terrible batting lines. I didn't ask it to do this. I'm not interested and it's an unprovoked spoiler. uncalled for, iphone. anyway, so I fast-forwarded through the offense just to watch Cannon. what a game, that kid can play! I'm left wondering if the former farm director gets any credit for a 101st overall pick turning into a genuinely good MLB starter at age 23. I personally don't think so, but people give Getz s%*# when the minor leaguers suck so maybe some reciprocal credit is given too.

IMG_4624.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Yeah he was decent in his 2 starts, but terrible in that relief appearance. I remember I liked how his change up and sweeper looked though. Anything could happen at this point, but he's trending in the right direction. His scouting grades also aren't that bad. FanGraphs gave him 50+ grades on 4 of his pitches. 

You mean against Boston? When he threw 3 scoreless innings? Why was that terrible?

8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Sweeper sweeper and more sweepers, and the Astros couldn’t do anything with any of them

Which felt like the kind of plan deployed against us 1000x times

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

You mean against Boston? When he threw 3 scoreless innings? Why was that terrible?

That might have jump started him and then went down to Charlotte with positive vibes. 

Cannon has six pitches four seamer, sinker, cutter, changeup, curve, slider.  I really like his upside; he has all the tools, and nobody will out work him.

• Like 1

I'm glad I turned on the game last night.  Cannon is fun to watch pitch.  Nothing is straight, every pitch moves.  His sweeper was especially good and had the Astros off balance all night.

The big difference I noticed between him and Thorpe was the success with off-speed stuff.  Cannon has a better fastball, so when he does use it he can still get hitters to miss or make weak contact.  Thorpe had to rely too much on a very pedestrian fastball because his off-speed stuff was missing.  And the hitters just teed off on it.  Thorpe should be okay; his first start was much better.  But Cannon just looked like a seasoned pitcher out there last night.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm glad I turned on the game last night.  Cannon is fun to watch pitch.  Nothing is straight, every pitch moves.  His sweeper was especially good and had the Astros off balance all night.

The big difference I noticed between him and Thorpe was the success with off-speed stuff.  Cannon has a better fastball, so when he does use it he can still get hitters to miss or make weak contact.  Thorpe had to rely too much on a very pedestrian fastball because his off-speed stuff was missing.  And the hitters just teed off on it.  Thorpe should be okay; his first start was much better.  But Cannon just looked like a seasoned pitcher out there last night.

you nailed it, Thorpe has to have his pin point control to be effective, 

Cannon has to be able to have great control with the sweeper. Yesterday he was outside corner to a foot off the plate with it, and it had great movement. If he gets wild with that he will have some trouble. 

If he continues to spot the sweeper well and can learn to hit the inside corner with the sinker consistently, that is a tough combo with a solid change and cuter mixed in. 

49 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

Cannon has to be able to have great control with the sweeper. Yesterday he was outside corner to a foot off the plate with it, and it had great movement. If he gets wild with that he will have some trouble. 

If he continues to spot the sweeper well and can learn to hit the inside corner with the sinker consistently, that is a tough combo with a solid change and cuter mixed in. 

My thought on watching the sweeper and the fact that he was almost always on the outer part of the plate or outside was if he missed his spot and the pitch swept onto the middle of the plate, it could be hit pretty hard.  But, his location was great last night.  A very good outing.

3 hours ago, Snopek said:

Pretty interesting piece if you really want to nerd out on Cannon’s arsenal.

(Can be a little buggy on mobile so Reader View is recommended if you can)

Small sample but his stats are nice. https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jonathan-cannon/31730/stats?position=P

both statcast an DIPS likes what he's bringing. That 4 seam velocity around 94-95 is going to work too. Not sure he can keep up this level of command, but even if he regresses to around 3 walks per 9 he'll still be a solid option if his stuff stays the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Way to boost that trade value by telling everyone you crap your pants on the mound.

And they gave "this" guy a big contract? 

Way to do your homework guys.

This is as bad as Boone Logan admitting to the media he had a nervous breakdown on the mound in Tampa. 

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And they gave "this" guy a big contract? 

Way to do your homework guys.

This is as bad as Boone Logan admitting to the media he had a nervous breakdown on the mound in Tampa. 

He's not showing the preceding tweet that talks about Brebbia joking. Again, there's so much wrong with the Sox this year, we really don't have to make up BS to complain about. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He's not showing the preceding tweet that talks about Brebbia joking. Again, there's so much wrong with the Sox this year, we really don't have to make up BS to complain about. 

Well that puts a different spin on it to be sure. 

While I'm a big fan of impending doom can you mofos keep that s%*# in the fire Pedro thread or something this was a nice win that shouldn't have happened. Catch me in a week when Cannon gives up 5 runs in 4 pitches somehow. Christ. 

2 hours ago, bobbydanks said:

While I'm a big fan of impending doom can you mofos keep that s%*# in the fire Pedro thread or something this was a nice win that shouldn't have happened. Catch me in a week when Cannon gives up 5 runs in 4 pitches somehow. Christ. 

Keep what in the fire Pedro thread?  Pedro is talking about handling Cannon in the tweet