Rosenthal Article on Luis Robert trade value and yes others notice he's injured a lot

bmags

Multiple high-ranking rival evaluators see Chicago White Sox outfielder Luis Robert Jr. as the kind of dynamic player who can improve any team, but for as talented as he is, he’s also someone who carries concerns.

Availability is one. His low walk and high strikeout rates are another. And even Robert’s three additional years of club control beyond this season come with a caveat — his two $20 million club options will be appropriately priced only if he stays on the field.

Yet, given Robert’s status as the White Sox’s best player, some in the industry expect general manager Chris Getz to overvalue him. Robert, who turns 27 in August, is not exactly cheap, earning $12.5 million this season and $15 million next season before his two club options. At those salaries, suitors might be reluctant to part with premium prospects.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5576871/2024/06/20/mlb-trade-deadline-watch-luis-robert/

WHile that salary stuff feels a little silly, reality is Robert's probably 50% off what he would make post free agency, while not necessarily being a bargain now...he's the 5th highest paid center fielder this year and 19th highest paid outfielder.

Was sobering. 

Nothing new really. That’s why I said yesterday if I was offered 2 - 50/55 FV and 1 - 45 FV prospects for Robert I’d take it. Should have traded him last offseason and the longer they hold onto him the further his trade value deteriorates imo.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5576871/2024/06/20/mlb-trade-deadline-watch-luis-robert/

WHile that salary stuff feels a little silly, reality is Robert's probably 50% off what he would make post free agency, while not necessarily being a bargain now...he's the 5th highest paid center fielder this year and 19th highest paid outfielder.

Was sobering. 

That's what I've been saying all along. However the fact remains the since those last 2 $20M years are club options anyone trading for him can do so and basically ignore those last 2 years and just have him for the time remaining before those option years. They can decline those options if he isn't worth that money.

We all love Luis but teams cannot evaluate him as a full-time player. I do not see his value going up either. He does not sound like a student of the game as we know.

• Like 1

If you can't get players you think will contribute to a winning major league team then you might as well hold onto him. It doesn't matter what they trade him for if none of the players received have an impact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what's more likely to get you a better return, $18 million on the free agent market by dumping benintendi...or just trading Robert and getting prospects...

Robert could still get you a great trade, also frees up cash, but would require good scouting as we are unlikely to get the lower-risk prospects that are near majors that our original rebuild acquired.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

what's more likely to get you a better return, $18 million on the free agent market by dumping benintendi...or just trading Robert and getting prospects...

Robert could still get you a great trade, also frees up cash, but would require good scouting as we are unlikely to get the lower-risk prospects that are near majors that our original rebuild acquired.

I am so not interested in salary dumps, especially not if it lowers the return on a good player. Benintendi needs to play well to get himself out of here.

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's what I've been saying all along. However the fact remains the since those last 2 $20M years are club options anyone trading for him can do so and basically ignore those last 2 years and just have him for the time remaining before those option years. They can decline those options if he isn't worth that money.

I understand the injury concerns. Very legitimate concerns which should hurt his trade value. I don't think his current/future salary though is an issue. He's a bargain if he's on the field/healthy and if he hit free agency, he's be paid a lot more than what he's currently making. All of this goes back to his health. Teams aren't going to trade a premium for an off-injured player or based on potential. He needs to do it on the field for anyone to give up anything remotely close to what the White Sox are expecting back. I also don't want Chris Getz to settle - keep a crazy high price and if Robert can start playing like he did last year, a market will form (even if it's not exactly what he would want).

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I am so not interested in salary dumps, especially not if it lowers the return on a good player. Benintendi needs to play well to get himself out of here.

I think Reinsdorf needs to somehow get an emergency addendum to CBA to allow a stretch provision that allows us to waive and stretch his annual salary across ten years or something.

That guy will retire with his last team being the white sox.

I just don’t trade him then. There is no harm in keeping him and trying to win. 

If you are only going to get marginal prospects back then let’s just keep him and see if we can keep him on the field. 

• Like 7

I really don't care what we get back for him, I'd be happy with anything. He's got one good year under his belt. He can't stay on the field otherwise. This comment might get some people up-in-arms, but he's essentially Yoan Moncada at this point (minus the guaranteed contract) until he proves otherwise.

• Like 2

I've seen the possibility of including Benintendi on a trade of Robert and taking less of a return several times.  I don't know how to feel about that.  Don't get me wrong, I want Benintendi gone as much as anyone else, but the idea of taking a subpar return on Robert makes me ill.  However, I don't see the Sox getting a massive haul for Robert if he's traded alone.  He's shown to be injury prone, and who knows if that'll improve any as he ages.  As far as the money he's owed, it's not bad at all...if he can play 85%+ of the time.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Frees up cash for…what exactly?

• Thanks 1

I agree he's lost value but I'm still not giving him up for approx 44m in SV. 

With a very low BABIP, I expect him to have a sizzling (and hopefully healthy) second half and then hopefully teams will make better offers (60+m SV). 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would bet heavily on him not getting traded because the offers Getz wants won’t be there. Unless of course, as Harold suggested, he’s moved with Benintendi.

Lowering Robert's value instead of just eating Beni's remaining salary in the offseason would be such a White Sox fan murdering style move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Hmmmm.....me thinks I see a problem.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lowering Robert's value instead of just eating Beni's remaining salary in the offseason would be such a White Sox fan murdering style move.

Exactly why I (and probably others) can see it happening.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1