Rosenthal Article on Luis Robert trade value and yes others notice he's injured a lot

bmags

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

If he gets traded, people aren't going to like the return. 

Had he stayed healthy this season, it would he an entirely different conversation, but his injury concerns will likely have a real impact on what teams will be willing to give up.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I agree he's lost value but I'm still not giving him up for approx 44m in SV. 

With a very low BABIP, I expect him to have a sizzling (and hopefully healthy) second half and then hopefully teams will make better offers (60+m SV). 

His xwOBA is nearly identical last year.  His sprint speed is the same.  His defensive metrics aren’t great, but small sample size and he may not be giving his all given the shitshow that is this year’s squad.  The health is a concern, but there won’t be a ton of 5 win players available for GMs to gamble.  Just takes one to say “f*** it, I want to win a World Series” to get a quality return.  I don’t you’re getting a Soto level return anymore but we should be able to get something good if he can stay healthy until Aug 1st.  If not, trade him during the offseason.

Benintendi is at an .861 OPS over the last 28 days. Hopefully he keeps something near that up and they can make a salary dump for some lotto tickets at the deadline or in the offseason.

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I really don't care what we get back for him, I'd be happy with anything. He's got one good year under his belt. He can't stay on the field otherwise. This comment might get some people up-in-arms, but he's essentially Yoan Moncada at this point (minus the guaranteed contract) until he proves otherwise.

The Sox seem adverse to keeping great players like the old days when we always had a star or two. Since Abreu left it's like we'll never have a stud again. Robert at least has a 10 percent chance at being one of those studs. Hopefully he won't get hurt again. Why trade him for a pair of scrapheap additions? Robert is close to being the type of player you wanna go see. Sox have none of those guys since Abreu.

• Paper Bag 1

8 minutes ago, almagest said:

Benintendi is at an .861 OPS over the last 28 days. Hopefully he keeps something near that up and they can make a salary dump for some lotto tickets at the deadline or in the offseason.

I betcha Sox talk is agreement on one thing, this. Get rid of Beni if at all possible please. Same with Maldy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

He won't be part of the core the next time we're decent, so you have to trade him. Easy decision. 

I like your posts but hate this particular post. We're never gonna be decent again if we trade the players that have a chance at .300, 30, 120 (when healthy).

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

By the way, for some reason my brain is saying he will wind up in the NL. Maybe even to the Cubs or Mets. Cubs allegedly have some pitching to deal right? He's exactly what the Royals need and they have pitching to trade (but are cheap like the $ox).

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Seems like an obvious planted article from a team or GM interested in trading for him. NFL draft style. The salary stuff was laughable. Like 15 million a year for any non Sox or non Athletics club is anything more than ashtray money.

Completely agree. Beyond the salary stuff being ridiculous, it also made comments about how teams won't see him as valuable because they'll be playing him in a corner rather than CF. And the one example they used was Julio Rodriguez, who is an objectively worse defender than Robert unless you're only looking at this year's ~20 game sample.

The injury concerns are extremely valid but this felt too over the top to be a standard trade rumor article from neutral sources.

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

By the way, for some reason my brain is saying he will wind up in the NL. Maybe even to the Cubs or Mets. Cubs allegedly have some pitching to deal right? He's exactly what the Royals need and they have pitching to trade (but are cheap like the $ox).

We need hitting Greg.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His xwOBA is nearly identical last year.  His sprint speed is the same.  His defensive metrics aren’t great, but small sample size and he may not be giving his all given the shitshow that is this year’s squad.  The health is a concern, but there won’t be a ton of 5 win players available for GMs to gamble.  Just takes one to say “f*** it, I want to win a World Series” to get a quality return.  I don’t you’re getting a Soto level return anymore but we should be able to get something good if he can stay healthy until Aug 1st.  If not, trade him during the offseason.

What kind of package would you accept for him at the deadline?

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The Sox seem adverse to keeping great players like the old days when we always had a star or two. Since Abreu left it's like we'll never have a stud again. Robert at least has a 10 percent chance at being one of those studs. Hopefully he won't get hurt again. Why trade him for a pair of scrapheap additions? Robert is close to being the type of player you wanna go see. Sox have none of those guys since Abreu.

Since Abreu left? So….two years ago? 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Since Abreu left? So….two years ago? 

Yeah that's the part of Sox history to me has been especially awful. Seems like we want no part of great players and if we get one or two they've got to be dealt.

• Paper Bag 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Yeah that's the part of Sox history to me has been especially awful. Seems like we want no part of great players and if we get one or two they've got to be dealt.

Abreu was the worst player in the entire league this year and one of the worst last year.. Do you have any clue what you talk about?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Your Trolling is slacking this year….just like the 2024 White Sox 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Abreu was the worst player in the entire league this year and one of the worst last year.. Do you have any clue what you talk about?

Moldy would like a few minutes of your time

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

He won't be part of the core the next time we're decent, so you have to trade him. Easy decision. 

How do you know you will?

Trading to get better is more of a myth with this organization.

But.......We can Make Birmingham Better.....every fan wants that.

What is decent?  75-87?

If this trade fenzy really worked in baseball the habitual losing small market teams (Sox are one of them) have to get better but they don't.   They may get lucky once or twice but if the constant is below average development and coaching you might as well keep a star player for fans to watch.  Anyone good goes - isn't going to help an organization or the game.  Most fans don't care about a stocked or good farm system.

Say if they trade Robert and Crochet......what will it take and how long for a fanbase to forgive that? 

JR has a history of telling the fans they can't have nice things.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

What is decent?  75-87?

If this trade fenzy really worked in baseball the habitual losing small market teams (Sox are one of them) have to get better but they don't.   They may get lucky once or twice but if the constant is below average development and coaching you might as well keep a star player for fans to watch.  Anyone good goes - isn't going to help an organization or the game.  Most fans don't care about a stocked or good farm system.

Say if they trade Robert and Crochet......what will it take and how long for a fanbase to forgive that? 

The Sox don't give a s%*# about the idle threats of the fanbase. They're still several years away from "being decent," but Robert definitely won't be part of that. Robert has nobody to blame but himself for the Sox failures. 

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

What is decent?  75-87?

75 wins would be like 35 games better than our current pace, aka a MASSIVE improvement. 

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's a mental illness among fans in the belief trading to get better.  It may work for some organizations but not this one.   I'd say the ones where it works is they improved in scouting and development. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

75 wins would be like 35 games better than our current pace, aka a MASSIVE improvement. 

That's because we have the standards of a habitual losing small market.

Maybe people in Nashville could tolerate that for 5 years.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The Sox don't give a s%*# about the idle threats of the fanbase. They're still several years away from "being decent," but Robert definitely won't be part of that. Robert has nobody to blame but himself for the Sox failures. 

You nailed it.

Unfortunately you follow the myth of several years away.  Anything could happen.  The "core"  could go on an injury spree or that young arm has TJ surgery.  You treat the actions of improving as a given.  I'd say it happens less and you forget the organization we are talking about.  

We seems to be conditioned to this mindset and seem to ignore the results.  

Edited by kitekrazy

20 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

That's because we have the standards of a habitual losing small market.

Maybe people in Nashville could tolerate that for 5 years.

You can be as angry as you like about it, but that doesn't change the reality that we are the worst franchise in baseball right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What kind of package would you accept for him at the deadline?

I’d need 60 & 55 FV positional prospects, a 50 FV prospect (a pitcher would be acceptable as the 3rd piece), plus an interesting lottery ticket or two.

• Like 1