6/22 - Chicago Chief Keefs @ Detroit J Dillas 12:10 pm

Just now, Heads22 said:

I wonder if without an overwhelming fastball and spotty command, Thorpe's gonna be a long time MLB arm but he's gonna have his games where he gets shelled and some where he looks great, especially against bad hitting teams. Not the worst way to make a career.

Can totally see that. That's fine, just stay healthy for a few years and be a solid 4th starter. That's all we ask.

Nice to see Vaughn and Lee hitting today, if we have any hope of competing in the next few  years those guys need to turn into solid regulars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

I wonder if without an overwhelming fastball and spotty command, Thorpe's gonna be a long time MLB arm but he's gonna have his games where he gets shelled and some where he looks great, especially against bad hitting teams. Not the worst way to make a career.

He will get more consistent around his pitches with experience and that extreme extremeness will fade away.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Can totally see that. That's fine, just stay healthy for a few years and be a solid 4th starter. That's all we ask.

Nice to see Vaughn and Lee hitting today, if we have any hope of competing in the next few  years those guys need to turn into solid regulars.

Probably why he's been moved a couple of times. We have the ability to give him ample opportunity. If that fastball ever gains a few ticks (I'm skeptical as that body looks pretty muscled out) or the command gets better (way more possible) he can thrive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Thorpe dominated. Nice bounce back after the rough last start. Dare I say the Sox starting rotation looks above average right now? Refreshing.

I think this is the most SP depth we've had in a long time coming up through the system. 

I still wish we can stop the Crochet trade nonesense  and invest in him to anchor this future rotation.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Probably why he's been moved a couple of times. We have the ability to give him ample opportunity. If that fastball ever gains a few ticks (I'm skeptical as that body looks pretty muscled out) or the command gets better (way more possible) he can thrive.

He could have a Bieber like career if he can get the fastball to average 92.5 mph or so. At this point I think he's a fine back end SP. 

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I think this is the most SP depth we've had in a long time coming up through the system. 

I still wish we can stop the Crochet trade nonesense  and invest in him to anchor this future rotation.  

Considering he just turned 25, I agree but that’s not reality unfortunately as long as Jerry owns the team. A 2025 rotation centered around Crochet, Cannon, Thorpe, and Schultz could be the best 25 and under rotation in MLB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Considering he just turned 25, I agree but that’s not reality unfortunately as long as Jerry owns the team. A 2025 rotation centered around Crochet, Cannon, Thorpe, and Schultz could be the best 25 and under rotation in MLB.

And with having a past TJ behind him, you already know that structure of that elbow. 

A 4 year commitment and eliminating the 2 arbitration years is not tall timber to climb, even for Jerry. 

You can probably get him for 4 years $70 million (10, 15, 20, 25)  right now.

Crochet loses 2 years of free agency, but gains security and also gets to try free agency when he's just turning 30.  Should still be able to cash again if sustains success. 

26 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Agreed.  This is exactly why I think it he was traded twice.  Teams didn’t view him as that untouchable potential ace due to his lack of a fastball.  He can obviously still be a very good starter though.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

39 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Off Topic. 

The Tigers are 6 under after today. 

What happened to the "great" AJ Hinch hire that was suppose catapult the Tigers into this eras Yankees?

Or at least, that's what Sox fans told me when they skipped him for LaRussa. 

You're only as good as your players and as good as the health of your team.   Period. 

Managing is a lot easier when you have a stacked roster full of cheaters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I guess that is why you should not put too much emphasis on someone's 2nd major league start ever. Drew was great in his 1st outing and great today. Young pitching is something to be excited about for our Sox.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

^and this is why I say things can turn much more quickly than anyone thinks even in the Sox darkest moments of this season. I know the offense sucks but the young pitching could surprise an awful lot of people that don’t think the Sox will be competitive again until 2030. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The offense and bullpen helps us to just a 6-9 record in that stretch. But to be honest, I didn't realize their record was that good in the last 15. I thought we won like 2 or 3 games in that stretch, maybe 4.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

^and this is why I say things can turn much more quickly than anyone thinks even in the Sox darkest moments of this season. I know the offense sucks but the young pitching could surprise an awful lot of people that don’t think the Sox will be competitive again until 2030. 

They need 7 position players and an entire bullpen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think (and I may be wrong) this is the first win for a Sox starting pitcher this season not named Crochet or Fedde.

And checking the box score I didn't realize Robert is now hitting .190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either this guy is still really hurt or he's mailing it in and wants out...or maybe it is both.