6/22 - Chicago Chief Keefs @ Detroit J Dillas 12:10 pm

16 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

^and this is why I say things can turn much more quickly than anyone thinks even in the Sox darkest moments of this season. I know the offense sucks but the young pitching could surprise an awful lot of people that don’t think the Sox will be competitive again until 2030.  

2030? Jeez I could be horizontal by then! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The command of Thorpe so far has been very concerning. 

Nastrini with the same issue.  Neither guy walked many in the minors.  Maybe just a case of not trusting their stuff in the majors?

37 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

They need 7 position players and an entire bullpen. 

I disagree on the bullpen. You add a couple solid high leverage arms and that bullpen looks much different. Kopech has been awful this year so there’s no stability on the back end.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think (and I may be wrong) this is the first win for a Sox starting pitcher this season not named Crochet or Fedde.

And checking the box score I didn't realize Robert is now hitting .190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either this guy is still really hurt or he's mailing it in and wants out...or maybe it is both.

Flexen has 2 wins. 

34 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nastrini with the same issue.  Neither guy walked many in the minors.  Maybe just a case of not trusting their stuff in the majors?

Nastrini was regularly above 4 BB/9 in the minors. It dipped down in 4 starts for Birmingham last year. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Can totally see that. That's fine, just stay healthy for a few years and be a solid 4th starter. That's all we ask.

Nice to see Vaughn and Lee hitting today, if we have any hope of competing in the next few  years those guys need to turn into solid regulars.

At least two impact hitters needed and even guys who can bunt. They might have won more games without Pedro. Vaughn is not up to par at 1B. Sheets is fading and not adequate. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I disagree on the bullpen. You add a couple solid high leverage arms and that bullpen looks much different. Kopech has been awful this year so there’s no stability on the back end.

That was supposed to be Leasure, Berroa and Iriarte.

Easier said than done in reality.

2 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Kopech always making things interesting

Did what he does best and does it every time. Needs a visit from a shrink, not from Katz on the mound. Send out a bearded old guy in a lab coat next time. 

• Like 1

Who would have ever thought that Korey Lee would be the best shot at putting up “average” fWAR numbers of projected 2025-26 Sox starters?

3B Montgomery…50/50

1B Vaughn….25%  (definitely won’t commit to Alonso here at his age for 5-6 years)

C K. Lee….50/50

LF Benintendi…5%

CF  Colas/Fletcher

RF  Colas/Fletcher

DH  Please not Sheets!

SS  Ja. Gonzalez 15%

2B  Baldwin/Sosa 10%

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Cannon and Thorpe made for a nice week. Add Crochet and Fedde and you have a competent rotation. 

Need bullpen arms a couple of hitters and a new Manager and the Sox could conceivably get back into the mix in the Central next season instead of last place.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That was supposed to be Leasure, Berroa and Iriarte.

Easier said than done in reality.

Not to be argumentative, but I wouldn't think that 3 minor league arms that never pitched in the bigs before would have been counted on to be "solid, high leverage arms". Berroa was available because he has Deivi Garcia disease, and Iriarte was still considered a AA starter when obtained. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Who would have ever thought that Korey Lee would be the best shot at putting up “average” fWAR numbers of projected 2025-26 Sox starters?

3B Montgomery…50/50

1B Vaughn….25%  (definitely won’t commit to Alonso here at his age for 5-6 years)

C K. Lee….50/50

LF Benintendi…5%

CF  Colas/Fletcher

RF  Colas/Fletcher

DH  Please not Sheets!

SS  Ja. Gonzalez 15%

2B  Baldwin/Sosa 10%

Colas is toast.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The command of Thorpe so far has been very concerning. 

Thorpe's approach is to try to stay away from the center of the plate and get swings on pitches that are not strikes.

18 minutes ago, tray said:

Colas is toast.

I don’t think we know that just yet, but it would be nice to find out for sure by actually playing him while the Sox are going nowhere.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He had put up a .704 OPS when he was playing regularly.  Not great, but WAY better than most of the rest of the roster.

Honestly, I could take the piles of Ls, if you told me we were running a lineup similar to below, to see what we had:

C : Lee
1B: Vaughn
2B: Sosa
SS: DeJong (there has to be a little vet presence)
3B: Ramos
LF: Boat Anchor contract/DomFletch
CF: Robert
RF: Colas
DH: Eloy until he is hurt again (7-10 days), Sheets afterwards

Losses are coming easily enough, with these 'veterans' that we so dearly wanted to give playing time to, play the kids with potential and see what you have.

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

Honestly, I could take the piles of Ls, if you told me we were running a lineup similar to below, to see what we had:

C : Lee
1B: Vaughn
2B: Sosa
SS: DeJong (there has to be a little vet presence)
3B: Ramos
LF: Boat Anchor contract/DomFletch
CF: Robert
RF: Colas
DH: Eloy until he is hurt again (7-10 days), Sheets afterwards

Losses are coming easily enough, with these 'veterans' that we so dearly wanted to give playing time to, play the kids with potential and see what you have.

Honestly?  The stats the kids put up don't really matter.  It's about getting them playing time, evaluating them, and seeing what they can give you.