Crochet DeJong Fedde Vaughn Pillar listed among Top 13 trade candidates at MLB.com

caulfield12

my thoughts on who the sox absolutely will trade

fedde is gone, dejong is gone, pham is gone.  all 3 are 99.9% off this team in about a month

who the sox absolutely aren't trading

Crochet, Robert, Vaughn (only mentioning Vaughn bc he was mentioned in the OP).  they're gonna be here til the offseason, i'm very very very sure of that.  i can't say i'm 100% sure because our GM could easily get his ass handed to him in any deal, and it wouldn't shock anyone except maybe Jerry

as far as anyone else, *possible* trades, i have no idea.  Kopech wouldn't surprise me, Flexen wouldn't surprise me, Siroka same.  But if the Sox are just gonna start the timer on our prospects, then all of them could be dealt rather quickly.  

Edit: Robert and Crochet are getting dealt too

Edited by joejoesox

4 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

fedde is gone, dejong is gone, pham is gone.  all 3 are 99.9% off this team in about a month

Crochet, Robert, Vaughn (only mentioning Vaughn bc he was mentioned in the OP).  they're gonna be here til the offseason, i'm very very very sure of that.  i can't say i'm 100% sure because our GM could easily get his ass handed to him in any deal, and it wouldn't shock anyone except maybe Jerry

as far as anyone else, *possible* trades, i have no idea.  Kopech wouldn't surprise me, Flexen wouldn't surprise me, Siroka same.  But if the Sox are just gonna start the timer on our prospects, then all of them could be dealt rather quickly.  

Wilson Brebbia Banks three more possibilities.  Maldonado should be DFAed.  Clevinger or Flexen, maybes.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would anyone want Vaughn?

Because his recent hot streak outweighs his amazing .725 career OPS as a first baseman.  🤣

Bold Prediction:  Both Vaughn and Sheets are White Sox after the trade deadline.

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wilson Brebbia Banks three more possibilities.  Maldonado should be DFAed.  Clevinger or Flexen, maybes.

I think that Flexen would be a down-throttle for somebody who wants a deal on Fedde. "Oh, well maybe you would like to try out our economy model....."

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I think that Flexen would be a down-throttle for somebody who wants a deal on Fedde. "Oh, well maybe you would like to try out our economy model....."

We might be able to get an older Dominic Fletcher for him.  Flexen is so bad that it’s not even worth talking about what he could return in a trade.

48 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They better not discount on Fedde. It's been half a season now. He's still pitching very well. I think he brings one excellent top 30 prospect and a 

100-150ish back in trade. The thing is, he actually looks like a real pitcher on game day. He's not lucking out or dodging bullets. Other teams scouts

are seeing the same thing. If no one wants to pony up, I'd be very surprised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

Geez Joe Joe: Fedde might bring a fair prospect; Pham and DeJong will bring nothing of future value. I wouldn't mind trading any one of those 3 but they aren't going to bring squat. You could DFA Fedde and DeJong and  there's be marginal interest.

So you are saying they aren't making any controversial trades: Crochet, Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Lee. Fine by me.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Geez Joe Joe: Fedde might bring a fair prospect; Pham and DeJong will bring nothing of future value. I wouldn't mind trading any one of those 3 but they aren't going to bring squat. You could DFA Fedde and DeJong and  there's be marginal interest.

So you are saying they aren't making any controversial trades: Crochet, Eloy, Robert, Vaughn, Lee. Fine by me.

Uh oh.

Current fWAR MLB

2. Crochet

4. Sale

11/12. Flaherty/Corbin Burnes

15. Fedde

17. Cease

19. Reynaldo Lopez

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, zisk said:

They better not discount on Fedde. It's been half a season now. He's still pitching very well. I think he brings one excellent top 30 prospect and a 

100-150ish back in trade. The thing is, he actually looks like a real pitcher on game day. He's not lucking out or dodging bullets. Other teams scouts

I doubt anyone will offer a Top 30 overall for Fedde, but alot of folks, including Jimmy think he will fetch a Top 100. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joejoesox said:

LOL SI suggesting Houston should trade for Vaughn. Too many pop ups to read. 

31 minutes ago, pcq said:

LOL SI suggesting Houston should trade for Vaughn. Too many pop ups to read. 

Do you mean too many pop-ups on the site or pop-ups from Vaughn?

Also, gonna be funny when Pillar gets traded for something after Getz cut him loose.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Luzardo now on the IL.

Likely one more piece off the chess board.

Also, the Astros are clearly back in the playoff hunt so take their pitchers off the board. Fedde is very likely a top 5 SP available at the deadline next month.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't trade Vaughn. He pisses me off a lot, but he's having a great June; maybe he's figured it out.  Maybe he hasn't, but all he'll return is some team's 10-15 prospect.   A lot more to lose than to gain.
Obviously trade Pham and Dejong for whatever you can get.  Pham, a filler signee, is better than the guys they signed for  RF when they were trying in 2020-2023.   I like Dejong; he handles his affairs at SS and has some pop.  I'd sign him to  placehold next year as we wait for the young guys.
Robert, if traded, will be for $.50 on the dollar.  Get him healthy, hope he has  good first half of 2025.  Still has 2.5 years of control at that point, which I believe was the Soto timeline when the Nats traded him.
They'll never get full value for Crochet as a 30 starts/year ace with 2.5 years of control.  But they might get 75% of that.  If they can, I think that they have to try to trade him.  It's just too risky to hold him.  
That leaves Fedde who should return his full value, if not more.

Edited by GreenSox

29 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I certainly wouldn't trade Vaughn. He pisses me off a lot, but he's having a great June; maybe he's figured it out.  Maybe he hasn't, but all he'll return is some team's 10-15 prospect.   A lot more to lose than to gain.
Obviously trade Pham and Dejong for whatever you can get.  Pham, a filler signee, is better than the guys they signed for  RF when they were trying in 2020-2023.   I like Dejong; he handles his affairs at SS and has some pop.  I'd sign him to  placehold next year as we wait for the young guys.
Robert, if traded, will be for $.50 on the dollar.  Get him healthy, hope he has  good first half of 2025.  Still has 2.5 years of control at that point, which I believe was the Soto timeline when the Nats traded him.
They'll never get full value for Crochet as a 30 starts/year ace with 2.5 years of control.  But they might get 75% of that.  If they can, I think that they have to try to trade him.  It's just too risky to hold him.  
That leaves Fedde who should return his full value, if not more.

But isn't it the same problem as Crochet, essentially, we're not going to be contending until AT LEAST 2027...so Vaughn will hit FA before that happens anyway?

I guess the only difference is arbitration salaries for Crochet and Vaughn would be vastly different.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

But isn't it the same problem as Crochet, essentially, we're not going to be contending until AT LEAST 2027...so Vaughn will hit FA before that happens anyway?

I guess the only difference is arbitration salaries for Crochet and Vaughn would be vastly different.

Yes, but Crochet has pitched like an ace all season; and the only season in which he's started.
Vaughn has hit like a stud for most of 1 month, among many months he's hit.  
And then there's the risk (both injury and regression):  substantial risk in holding Crochet; minimal risk in holding Vaughn (who has little value right now anyway because he's only been good for a month.).  

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, zisk said:

I don't see Fedde bringing back a top 30 prospect, that's crazy talk, you'll be lucky to get a top 100

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Uh oh.

Current fWAR MLB

2. Crochet

4. Sale

11/12. Flaherty/Corbin Burnes

15. Fedde

17. Cease

19. Reynaldo Lopez

Hmmm ... Think of Sox rotation had they kept Cease and Lopez to go with our two good starters now. Yikes. And some want to tank?

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm ... Think of Sox rotation had they kept Cease and Lopez to go with our two good starters now. Yikes. And some want to tank?

1. Offense
  2. Defense still bad
  3. Bullpen still bad
  4. The Sox probably don't let ReyLo start

Once upon a time.

From 2014-2016, Sale was #5 in fWAR and Quintana was #8. Rodon had fallen into their laps.

Plus, they team literally can't tank. The new rules block them from drafting higher than 10 next year. The only thing anyone would want to do this year is try to get good value for players on the roster before they leave/lose value.

Example: If they held onto Gio+Lopez and both decide to sign elsewhere, they don't get Quero or Bush, who are both performing well.

Depressing example using the Bulls: Caruso was reportedly worth 2 first round picks this past trade deadline. Drummond was worth multiple seconds. LaVine and DDR both had good value in 2022-2023 - when the team was treading water in the exact same manner as last year, with it clear they couldn't use both. Vuc might have been worth a second as a salary dump, now he has an albatross.

By holding onto everything, they've got Josh Giddey and whatever they could get for LaVine in return.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Quin said:
  1. Offense
  2. Defense still bad
  3. Bullpen still bad
  4. The Sox probably don't let ReyLo start

Very true. But to have an historically bad record you need to be rotten in all phases. And with my scenario the starting pitching would be mediocre to B- grade scale. Add two non pathetic bullpen arms (Jerry won't pay for them however which would be a problem) and maybe we creeping toward .500.