Crochet DeJong Fedde Vaughn Pillar listed among Top 13 trade candidates at MLB.com

caulfield12

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Very true. But to have an historically bad record you need to be rotten in all phases. And with my scenario the starting pitching would be mediocre to B- grade scale. Add two non pathetic bullpen arms (Jerry won't pay for them however which would be a problem) and maybe we creeping toward .500.

Greg, this position of yours is driving my crazy.

WHO CARES IF THEY ARE NEAR .500. That sucks just as bad as what is happening now.

Playing .480 baseball gets you s%*#. 

What matters is putting together a team/organization that has a legit chance to contend NOT JUST for a division but to play with the big boys.

From 1981-2006 under JR at least Sox fans had a reasonable chance to see that happen. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Greg, this position of yours is driving my crazy.

WHO CARES IF THEY ARE NEAR .500. That sucks just as bad as what is happening now.

Playing .480 baseball gets you s%*#. 

What matters is putting together a team/organization that has a legit chance to contend NOT JUST for a division but to play with the big boys.

From 1981-2006 under JR at least Sox fans had a reasonable chance to see that happen. 

We are 37 games under .500.  We need to creep through .300, then creep through .400, before we creep through. 500.  Let's be honest here, the next time we even think about .500 is when we are 0-0 to start 2025.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Very true. But to have an historically bad record you need to be rotten in all phases. And with my scenario the starting pitching would be mediocre to B- grade scale. Add two non pathetic bullpen arms (Jerry won't pay for them however which would be a problem) and maybe we creeping toward .500.

Greg, I'm making an assumption here and if I'm wrong I personally apologize to you.

To me the thing that seems to concern you the most is the distinct possibility (probability?) that the Sox are going to set the modern day record for worst season breaking the 62 Mets.

I get it.

It would be a MAJOR embarrassment. The Sox would become the but of late night jokes like the Cubs were for decades.

But consider this.

If there is ANY chance, however slight, of having JR change his ways (and I fully admit it is a very, very small chance) the only way to maybe have that happen is to be historically bad, a total complete laughingstock.

A 38-124 season for example could do it.

I myself, would rather take a longshot chance of having real change than see this team win 60-65-70-72 games which I will guarantee you, wouldn't force JR to change diddly squat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We are 37 games under .500.  We need to creep through .300, then creep through .400, before we creep through. 500.  Let's be honest here, the next time we even think about .500 is when we are 0-0 to start 2025.

And if we make the moves that are likely to happen it'll be a 7-23 start next April.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Greg, I'm making an assumption here and if I'm wrong I personally apologize to you.

To me the thing that seems to concern you the most is the distinct possibility (probability?) that the Sox are going to set the modern day record for worst season breaking the 62 Mets.

I get it.

It would be a MAJOR embarrassment. The Sox would become the but of late night jokes like the Cubs were for decades.

But consider this.

If there is ANY chance, however slight, of having JR change his ways (and I fully admit it is a very, very small chance) the only way to maybe have that happen is to be historically bad, a total complete laughingstock.

A 38-124 season for example could do it.

I myself, would rather take a longshot chance of having real change than see this team win 60-65-70-72 games which I will guarantee you, wouldn't force JR to change diddly squat.  

I'll never criticize a post that criticizes JR cause he is despicable in a sports owner sense. I guess my problem is it pains me to see the team trade its only MLB caliber players for some reason. The idea of Crochet, Robert, Lee, Eloy turning into Tatises with other franchises kind of pains me. Also I'm old school to think players like that can help turn a moribund team like the Sox around.

Edited by greg775
  • Paper Bag 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That would be an improvement over this year with all of these guys 

I wonder who next year's DeJong's, Mandy's and Lopez's will be. Madrigal will prolly find his way back.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I'll never criticize a post that criticizes JR cause he is despicable in a sports owner sense. I guess my problem is it pains me to see the team trade its only MLB caliber players for some reason. The idea of Crochet, Robert, Lee, Eloy turning into Tatises with other franchises kind of pains me. Also I'm old school to think players like that can help turn a moribund team like the Sox around.

The problem, as has been repeatedly posted, is that if JR remains the owner he will NOT extend Crochet and/or Robert. ESPECIALLY if they do well.

He simply will...not...do...it.

That shouldn't be hard to understand.

So what choice do the Sox have given those parameters?

Keep them, the team will still suck and they'll leave as free agents (remember Boras is Robert's agent) and the Sox will get NOTHING. 

Iloy is D.O.A. he done, nothing to worry about, nothing to see here.

No one is talking about trading Lee given the number of years still under Sox control. He could still be part of the club under new ownership say in four years.

In a perfect world, I'd agree with you...keep Crochet and Robert and build around them.

This organization is about as far from perfect as you can possibly imagine. 

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Uh oh.

Current fWAR MLB

2. Crochet

4. Sale

11/12. Flaherty/Corbin Burnes

15. Fedde

17. Cease

19. Reynaldo Lopez

How in the world could Reynaldo only be ranked 19th?

On 6/23/2024 at 9:47 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Getz signing mediocre vets to block the kids?  Never.

We honestly should. Why burn through their service time on a lost season? I mean we arent and won't but we should.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

We honestly should. Why burn through their service time on a lost season?

Are we really worried about the service time of guys like Lenyn Sosa, Oscar Colas, DeLoach, Fletcher, etc?  I mean I am not.  This is the time to be figuring them out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are we really worried about the service time of guys like Lenyn Sosa, Oscar Colas, DeLoach, Fletcher, etc?  I mean I am not.  This is the time to be figuring them out.

If they are good then yes if they are trash then no.

I would have preferred for this year to be exclusively used to try and find veterans to pump and dump at the deadline. There will be plenty of time to figure out our prospects this is going to be a long painful rebuild

Edited by wrathofhahn

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

If they are good then yes if they are trash then no.

I would have preferred for this year to be exclusively used to try and find veterans to pump and dump at the deadline. There will be plenty of time to figure out our prospects this is going to be a long painful rebuild

Well lucky for you that's exact what Getz did.  Can't wait to see what we get for Nicky Lopez and Martin Maldonado.

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Can someone remind me what the roster crunch was that forced Pillar out? There's been so many moves that it's hard to keep track.

If I recall correctly, I think there is someone else maybe @ChiSox59 and I suggested could have been sent down instead? I can't remember who though. You're right, there have been so many moves and players coming and going.

I remember they could have kept him and probably needed to to avoid playing Pham, or anyone else, in CF. At least not as much.

Edit: although the whole situation probably put a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he left.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

23 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Can someone remind me what the roster crunch was that forced Pillar out? There's been so many moves that it's hard to keep track.

I guess we'll get to see if Pillar's return for the Angels is superior to the Sox return for Grossman (AA reliever Anthony Hoopii-Tuionetoa).

It'll also be fun to see if/when he brings more back than Tommy Pham.

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I remember they could have kept him and probably needed to to avoid playing Pham, or anyone else, in CF. At least not as much.

Edit: although the whole situation probably put a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he left.

There was a whole mess of transactions that day so pick one.

image.png