Crochet DeJong Fedde Vaughn Pillar listed among Top 13 trade candidates at MLB.com

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And Ortega was DFAed for Julks. 

I'm sure there's someone else that we added at some point that shouldn't have been given a shot (or even could have sent someone like Vaughn down at the time since he sucked then).

Edit: well, Julks is now showing he is just a guy so there is that.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Bleacher Report suggests 10 trades. Included:

To BAL: LHP Garrett Crochet

To CWS: 1B/OF Heston Kjerstad, LHP Cade Povich, 2B Connor Norby, OF Dylan Beavers

To PHI: OF Luis Robert Jr., RHP John Brebbia

To CWS: RHP Mick Abel (No. 3 PHI prospect), SS Starlyn Caba (No. 5 PHI prospect), C Eduardo Tait (No. 8 PHI prospect), LHP Samuel Aldegheri (No. 10 PHI prospect)

To MIL: RHP Erick Fedde

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

To CWS: 1B/OF Heston Kjerstad, LHP Cade Povich, 2B Connor Norby, OF Dylan Beavers

To CWS: RHP Mick Abel (No. 3 PHI prospect), SS Starlyn Caba (No. 5 PHI prospect), C Eduardo Tait (No. 8 PHI prospect), LHP Samuel Aldegheri (No. 10 PHI prospect)

Hmm.. I actually like all of those trades for the Sox. Orioles basically have to move Hjerstad ASAP. He’s already 25 (10 months younger than Andrew Vaughn), barely getting at bats with the Os, and when he does get at bats not performing particularly well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

O’s trade would be a yes for me.  Phillies trade a hard no.  Need to read up Knoth before stating an opinion either way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Hmm.. I actually like all of those trades for the Sox. Orioles basically have to move Hjerstad ASAP. He’s already 25 (10 months younger than Andrew Vaughn), barely getting at bats with the Os, and when he does get at bats not performing particularly well.

You like that Phillies trade?  If I don’t get Miller, no one way I moving him to them.

That feels like a lot for the O's to give up for Crochet, with his injury history and 2 years of control. They would get him for a half season more than if they traded for Cease in the off-season, but also may be facing an innings limit with Garrett this year. Maybe if you added a reliever or included Fedde as well (how many pitchers do they need)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Agreed. Can't see that O's one happening unless more is added going to the O's.

Also they aren't going to give up three OFs (I know Norby is also 2B). Elias is going to maintain positional balance in the upper minors. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You like that Phillies trade?  If I don’t get Miller, no one way I moving him to them.

Mostly because I don’t think Robert has a ton of value at this point. I think that’s about the best you’re going to get for him right now.

• Like 1

I don't want to see any catchers or 1B in any of these returns.

Korey Lee alone is going to be pushing 2 bWAR this season and has proven to be a pretty solid defensive option. With Quero also shining in AA I don't see a need to collect assets at the C position for our marquee trade chips.

For 1B, there is a real possibility we draft Cags and we still have Vaughn and Sheets unless they get traded or DFA'd so again no reason to collect assets there as well.

That Baltimore trade would be an absolute dream, but there is no way that happens.

Edited by T R U
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Mostly because I don’t think Robert has a ton of value at this point. I think that’s about the best you’re going to get for him right now.

You realize how bad Abel has been this year right?  His stock has probably slipped a ton.  It’s a really light offer IMO.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, T R U said:

I don't want to see any catchers or 1B in any of these returns.

Korey Lee alone is going to be pushing 2 bWAR this season and has proven to be a pretty solid defensive option. With Quero also shining in AA I don't see a need to collect assets at the C position for our marquee trade chips.

For 1B, there is a real possibility we draft Cags and we still have Vaughn and Sheets unless they get traded or DFA'd so again no reason to collect assets there as well.

That Baltimore trade would be an absolute dream, but there is no way that happens.

Not as a #1 piece, but as of today the Sox have no real 40 homer potential kind of player in their system.  Them getting a banger from the corner wouldn't be a bad thing.  Both Vaughn and Sheets are probably not that long for the organization anyway.  Heck Vaughn could be in DFA territory with his 2nd year of arb coming up if he has a bad 2nd half too.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not as a #1 piece, but as of today the Sox have no real 40 homer potential kind of player in their system.  Them getting a banger from the corner wouldn't be a bad thing.  Both Vaughn and Sheets are probably not that long for the organization anyway.  Heck Vaughn could be in DFA territory with his 2nd year of arb coming up if he has a bad 2nd half too.

For sure, but if they draft Cags in a few weeks that all changes.

That Crochet trade proposal is ridiculous.  We would get three starting position players and a starting pitcher to replace Crochet in the rotation?  Sure, sign me up.

Baltimore probably wouldn’t even offer half of that.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, T R U said:

For sure, but if they draft Cags in a few weeks that all changes.

Honestly, hearing the PR machine already in full tilt about this, this is probably another one of those moves to try to rush things, instead of taking the best guy for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He has 52 major league at bats combined between last year and this year.  Corey Julks went from a supposed starting outfielder to a bench player in 94 at bats this season.  🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I'm gonna take a stab at the main pieces the Sox could/should trade:

Fedde to the Brewers for Pratt and Letson

Robert and Kopech to the Phillies for Painter, Miller, and Caba

Crochet to the Padres for Snelling, De Vries, and Pauley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Selling low?  Yes.  However, Robert still has a ton of value as one of the top young players in the game.  He’s hurt a lot—but it’s closer to a player like Acuna getting hurt…not Eloy.  If they move him, it will be a haul.

• Like 1

Tim Dierkes has a mailbag feature for subscribers of MLBTR. Somebody asked about the Bowden trade proposal of Crochet, Kopech and DeJong to the Dodgers. Lengthy answer - says that any starter is an injury threat, and they'd get more splitting Kopech and Crochet. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/tim-dierkes-mlb-mailbag-francisco-alvarez-hoerner-crochet-and-more.html

Looks like Dodgers and White Sox match up well for a deadline trade. Do you think LA has prospect capital and the need to receive Crochet, Kopech, and DeJong from Chicago? Not sure I would want to pay the price for Robert.

Steve Adams got into the feasibility of a popular Jim Bowden trade proposal last week that included Robert.  If you take Robert out, the plausibility goes way up, because I agree with Steve and putting Robert and Crochet into the same deal seems highly unlikely.

I see DeJong as a minor piece of this deal.  I was initially dismissive of Kopech as well, but he’s under team control for 2025, throws 99, and has punched out 32.2% of batters faced this year.  The Dodgers and other intelligent teams can quite possibly turn him into a very effective reliever.

Entering this season, Crochet’s professional career high in innings was 65 in his second year at Tennessee.  He’d never started more than six games.  At the time of this writing, he’s made 17 starts and pitched 94 1/3 innings.  Aside from his Opening Day start, he’s split his outings evenly between having four and five days of rest.  Crochet is under team control through 2026.

Crochet as a trade candidate is fascinating.  At his current pace, he’s in the AL Cy Young mix, which no one saw coming.  Given that he’s 29 1/3 innings past his career high halfway through the season, naturally you’d expect his team to use caution.  That’s especially true if it remains the White Sox, since they’d either be trying to lock him up or trade him for a king’s ransom.

White Sox manager Pedro Grifol put it this way: “We’re going to start dwindling his workload down a little bit, and we’ll manage that correctly. But it’s not something we’re going to put out and say, ‘Here’s what we’re doing,’ because nothing in this game is black and white. He might have five innings where he goes 12 pitches or less and we might let him go six or seven innings, even when we’re trying to minimize his workload. It all depends on what he does.”

The Dodgers still have a consensus top ten farm system, and yes, I do think if they put enough 50 or 55 grade prospects or young players into a package they could get Crochet, Kopech, and DeJong from the White Sox.  I also think that A) uncoupling Crochet and Kopech probably nets the White Sox a better return and B) competition would be fierce for Crochet even if it’s unclear how much he can give you in the second half.

As an aside, there’s not an arm in the Majors for whom I have full confidence of 15 second half starts.  So while letting Crochet reach 30 starts and then possibly leaning on him as a #2 playoff starter would seem to carry increased injury risk, I don’t think MLB teams have really cracked this nut.  If Crochet were to be limited to 75 pitches per start instead of the 89 he’s averaged this year, is there actual evidence that would benefit him?  He’s more likely to get a benefit from pitching on five days rest more often, but again, this is lacking in hard evidence.

There’s also the idea, which I put forth when everyone was dogging Tyler Glasnow for his injury history before the season, that Crochet mostly had one major injury, and maybe needed extra time to fully recover from it.  And a pandemic and lockout didn’t help pitchers in general.  In other words, a pitcher can need Tommy John surgery but not immediately get it, and also not recover in a straight line 18-month period.  Such a player might get a reputation for being more injury-prone than he really is once this major surgery is truly behind him.

I’m skeptical the White Sox will be good within Crochet’s control window, and if nothing else he seems to carry more injury risk than most.  So I still support trading him, though if the offers aren’t reflective of a top of the rotation starter, they shouldn’t make a deal.  Similarly, if an extension can be reached that prices in Crochet’s injury risk, that’s worth considering.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Not in favor of moving Crotchet, but that's an awesome return

Robert, at his peak, deserves way more

Not overly familiar with the Fedde return

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Tim Dierkes has a mailbag feature for subscribers of MLBTR. Somebody asked about the Bowden trade proposal of Crochet, Kopech and DeJong to the Dodgers. Lengthy answer - says that any starter is an injury threat, and they'd get more splitting Kopech and Crochet. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/tim-dierkes-mlb-mailbag-francisco-alvarez-hoerner-crochet-and-more.html

Looks like Dodgers and White Sox match up well for a deadline trade. Do you think LA has prospect capital and the need to receive Crochet, Kopech, and DeJong from Chicago? Not sure I would want to pay the price for Robert.

Steve Adams got into the feasibility of a popular Jim Bowden trade proposal last week that included Robert.  If you take Robert out, the plausibility goes way up, because I agree with Steve and putting Robert and Crochet into the same deal seems highly unlikely.

I see DeJong as a minor piece of this deal.  I was initially dismissive of Kopech as well, but he’s under team control for 2025, throws 99, and has punched out 32.2% of batters faced this year.  The Dodgers and other intelligent teams can quite possibly turn him into a very effective reliever.

Entering this season, Crochet’s professional career high in innings was 65 in his second year at Tennessee.  He’d never started more than six games.  At the time of this writing, he’s made 17 starts and pitched 94 1/3 innings.  Aside from his Opening Day start, he’s split his outings evenly between having four and five days of rest.  Crochet is under team control through 2026.

Crochet as a trade candidate is fascinating.  At his current pace, he’s in the AL Cy Young mix, which no one saw coming.  Given that he’s 29 1/3 innings past his career high halfway through the season, naturally you’d expect his team to use caution.  That’s especially true if it remains the White Sox, since they’d either be trying to lock him up or trade him for a king’s ransom.

White Sox manager Pedro Grifol put it this way: “We’re going to start dwindling his workload down a little bit, and we’ll manage that correctly. But it’s not something we’re going to put out and say, ‘Here’s what we’re doing,’ because nothing in this game is black and white. He might have five innings where he goes 12 pitches or less and we might let him go six or seven innings, even when we’re trying to minimize his workload. It all depends on what he does.”

The Dodgers still have a consensus top ten farm system, and yes, I do think if they put enough 50 or 55 grade prospects or young players into a package they could get Crochet, Kopech, and DeJong from the White Sox.  I also think that A) uncoupling Crochet and Kopech probably nets the White Sox a better return and B) competition would be fierce for Crochet even if it’s unclear how much he can give you in the second half.

As an aside, there’s not an arm in the Majors for whom I have full confidence of 15 second half starts.  So while letting Crochet reach 30 starts and then possibly leaning on him as a #2 playoff starter would seem to carry increased injury risk, I don’t think MLB teams have really cracked this nut.  If Crochet were to be limited to 75 pitches per start instead of the 89 he’s averaged this year, is there actual evidence that would benefit him?  He’s more likely to get a benefit from pitching on five days rest more often, but again, this is lacking in hard evidence.

There’s also the idea, which I put forth when everyone was dogging Tyler Glasnow for his injury history before the season, that Crochet mostly had one major injury, and maybe needed extra time to fully recover from it.  And a pandemic and lockout didn’t help pitchers in general.  In other words, a pitcher can need Tommy John surgery but not immediately get it, and also not recover in a straight line 18-month period.  Such a player might get a reputation for being more injury-prone than he really is once this major surgery is truly behind him.

I’m skeptical the White Sox will be good within Crochet’s control window, and if nothing else he seems to carry more injury risk than most.  So I still support trading him, though if the offers aren’t reflective of a top of the rotation starter, they shouldn’t make a deal.  Similarly, if an extension can be reached that prices in Crochet’s injury risk, that’s worth considering.

The bolded part stood out to me. Nice backhanded comment on the state of the White Sox.