Crochet DeJong Fedde Vaughn Pillar listed among Top 13 trade candidates at MLB.com

caulfield12

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The bolded part stood out to me. Nice backhanded comment on the state of the White Sox. 

I really think the problem is Kopech.  Katz and Bannister have done big things with guys who have a fraction of Kopechs talent 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 2:51 PM, greg775 said:

Hmmm ... Think of Sox rotation had they kept Cease and Lopez to go with our two good starters now. Yikes. And some want to tank?

Agree. And Bummer only one of two MLB relievers this season with no barrels.  ReyLo has the best starting pitcher ERA in MLB of 1.70. Braves are thanking the Sox.  

14 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Agree. And Bummer only one of two MLB relievers this season with no barrels.  ReyLo has the best starting pitcher ERA in MLB of 1.70. Braves are thanking the Sox.  

Lopez was a Free Agent.  Kudos to the Braves for starting him.   They also made a nifty trade for Sale:  Vaughn Grissom has a Lopez-level OPS this season.

The team that gets Kopech will start him next season.

T

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I’d throw Kopech in and take that deal in a second.  That’s the Orioles #4, #6, #7, and #8 prospects and Kjerstad is #20 in the MLB’s Top 100.  I would be weary of McDermott’s walk rate but I’d still jump on that deal.  Three potential starting position players and a potential back-end rotation starter?  Deal.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

I throw Kopech in and take that deal in a second.  That’s the Orioles #4, #6, #7, and #8 prospects and Kjerstad is #20 in the MLB’s Top 100.  I would be weary of McDermott’s walk rate but I’d still jump on that deal.

I concur. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Well, that looks like a fair deal on paper. But I am in the minority and am leery of these Oriole prospects. I think that they have hugged them so hard and for so long has  inflated their reputation.  
But that’s about as good an offer as we’ll  get. 

Edited by GreenSox

23 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Well, that looks like a fair deal on paper. But I am in the minority and am leery of these Oriole prospects. I think that they have hugged them so hard and for so long has  inflated their reputation.  

Well, these guys are beating and are going to beat the s%*# out of Charlotte the entirety of this week. They develop hitters. Gimme some. 

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I can see why they'd want Kopech added. In terms of sheer prospects (where they got drafted) that is highway robbery on the Sox part. There's no way in hell I'd make that deal if I were the Orioles. Maybe Crochet and Kopech for that foursome. I still wouldn't do that if I were Baltimore. If they were to be negotiating with those top draft picks I'd say I want Robert/Crochet and go from there. Maybe add one more player if I'm Baltimore.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’d throw Kopech in and take that deal in a second.  That’s the Orioles #4, #6, #7, and #8 prospects and Kjerstad is #20 in the MLB’s Top 100.  I would be weary of McDermott’s walk rate but I’d still jump on that deal.  Three potential starting position players and a potential back-end rotation starter?  Deal.

We are talking about 2.5 years of Crochet, all well known concerns aside… what do they say about when something sounds too good to be true?

Our team is primed to look MUCH different come August… and I am here for it.

Blow the damned thing up and never fucking look back. Watch the seconds tick on Father Time or get Scrooge to finally open the vault.

No more swimming in gold coins or tossing them around on trash.

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hey we agree on something but that's only because it's too good to ever happen.

8 hours ago, GreenSox said:

There's no way Elias would ever give up that much or probably even half that much.

The only way he would actually give up serious prospect talent is if Burnes also got hurt.

20 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Players I don't see getting moved, Crochet, Robert, Vaughn, Thorpe, Cannon, Lee, 

All others are fair game.

Cannon not yet really considered a core prospect....needs to put up similar results the next three months.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ideally you'd like a guy who profiles with some true up the middle defensive profile, but in this scenario you are getting two day one starters in Norby and Kjerstad.  They solve 2/3 of your OF, or an OF and a 2B.  McDermott might end up a reliever with his control.  Beavers is supposed to have power to find, and he might be the make or break of a package like this.

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

Players I don't see getting moved, Crochet, Robert, Vaughn, Thorpe, Cannon, Lee, 

All others are fair game.

The last three aren't going anywhere because of their control.  Vaughn isn't going anywhere because he isn't very good and is going to be getting more expensive.  Robert and Crochet are 100% for sale if a team makes the right offer.  I don't think they are a certainty to go, but they are 100% available.  If I were a betting man, I would say a 90% chance that Crochet goes, and 70% for Robert.

• Thanks 1

The O’s are in an interesting place as they’re WS contenders who will not be able to hold onto Henderson (Boras client) and who have some older core pieces (Santander, Burnes) ready to leave. Adjusting to mlb these days takes a while. Will they have the patience to take a step back and let an older prospect like Kjerstad get the at bats he needs to make the adjustment? Or are they going to prioritize winning this year? I would trade him and keep Cowser, but they seem like dead enders on all of their guys. I do not believe the Sox will be trading with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The last three aren't going anywhere because of their control.  Vaughn isn't going anywhere because he isn't very good and is going to be getting more expensive.  Robert and Crochet are 100% for sale if a team makes the right offer.  I don't think they are a certainty to go, but they are 100% available.  If I were a betting man, I would say a 90% chance that Crochet goes, and 70% for Robert.

I would agree but I think Robert is 50/50 to be moved as of right now.  If he’s been hotter than sh1t right before the deadline then I agree with your percentage.

59 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The O’s are in an interesting place as they’re WS contenders who will not be able to hold onto Henderson (Boras client) and who have some older core pieces (Santander, Burnes) ready to leave. Adjusting to mlb these days takes a while. Will they have the patience to take a step back and let an older prospect like Kjerstad get the at bats he needs to make the adjustment? Or are they going to prioritize winning this year? I would trade him and keep Cowser, but they seem like dead enders on all of their guys. I do not believe the Sox will be trading with them.

To put it all out there, Baltimore is needs to s%*# or get off of the pot.  They are about to hit a pretty hard core 40 man roster crunch that should almost force them into some 3:1/4:1 type deals where they move guys who are in between off of the roster to open up spots for the next guys they have to protect this winter.  It's either that or starting to deal the guys who need to protected soon.  They don't have nearly enough roster spots to cover everyone.  A Crochet deal where they push some volume out there door makes some sense for them.

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I would agree but I think Robert is 50/50 to be moved as of right now.  If he’s been hotter than sh1t right before the deadline then I agree with your percentage.

I think the only way a team isn't interested is if they think he is too hurt to help.  They have to be looking at the toxic situation here and thinking if they get him out of Chicago, he will be fine.

3 hours ago, T R U said:

Kopech is getting the Aaron Bummer treatment around here, as soon as he gets traded I fully expect him to "figure it out"

Has Bummer really figured it out though? His ERA this season with the Braves is in line with his career ERA. I think he’s still a hard guy to trust in high leverage situations (like Kopech) and decent middle relievers just don’t carry much trade value at all.