ILoy hurt. Again. Part XIII

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Some lady who apparently writes for the Sox now on mlb.com is talking about the big 3 getting back together soon!

She doesn't write for the Sox, she covers the Tigers. She filled in for Merkin who didn't cover the games this weekend. He was at the Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks concert. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Eloy probably gets injured again eventually anyways, but to your point, haven’t the Sox done this in the past (bring a player back too early before he was healthy, only for them to get reinjured)?  I feel like this has happened before but I just can’t remember.

The way they handled Robert with his wrist injury was almost criminal. He was up there swinging the bat one handed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I thought this thread will just be a joke about how he came back so that means he's on the road to his next injury, did not realize he's injured again (had a great sunday!).

What an embarrassment.

This is exactly what I thought.

I think everybody here can remember being 25-28 or so as a weekend warrior or part time athlete or whatever. You know how fucking hard it was to strain a muscle or do similar soft tissue injury? 

Some guys have weaker ligaments some guys have weaker connective tissue in general, some guys put on too much muscle too quickly and their joints and connective tissues aren't prepared for it and they pull an oblique or hammy or something: Eloy?

He looks to play at about 18% body fat, and while he has muscle, he isn't a guy like Robert with tree trunks for thighs and a massive upper body. 

I have no fucking clue how a guy at his age, with his body type, keeps getting so many soft tissue issues unless he's simply not doing anything needed to stay on the field. I'm not even talking about doing a little work, it's almost like he's doing no work. At best, it's like he's lifting and training with no plan, and then in season he's just stupidly prone to soft tissue injuries that should not be happening to anybody at age 27. 

Eloy, at least to me, comes across as a guy that expected to roll out of bed and hit 280/340/500 for his career and just expected to never train. That's pretty much where I'm at with him. He's a guy that coasted on natural ability for too long and when he got to MLB and everybody has natural ability he got got. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Eloy was very  good in 2019 and 2020. When he got hurt in a  spring training game in 2021  he has never been the same.

No one is more thankful for that short season than Eloy haha 

(although, he still got hurt at the end).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The way they handled Robert with his wrist injury was almost criminal. He was up there swinging the bat one handed. 

Never, ever understood that. Was that Tony or Ricky then?

Edited by oldsox

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think everybody here can remember being 25-28 or so as a weekend warrior or part time athlete or whatever. You know how fucking hard it was to strain a muscle or do similar soft tissue injury? 

Some guys have weaker ligaments some guys have weaker connective tissue in general, some guys put on too much muscle too quickly and their joints and connective tissues aren't prepared for it and they pull an oblique or hammy or something: Eloy?

He looks to play at about 18% body fat, and while he has muscle, he isn't a guy like Robert with tree trunks for thighs and a massive upper body. 

I have no fucking clue how a guy at his age, with his body type, keeps getting so many soft tissue issues unless he's simply not doing anything needed to stay on the field. I'm not even talking about doing a little work, it's almost like he's doing no work. At best, it's like he's lifting and training with no plan, and then in season he's just stupidly prone to soft tissue injuries that should not be happening to anybody at age 27. 

Eloy, at least to me, comes across as a guy that expected to roll out of bed and hit 280/340/500 for his career and just expected to never train. That's pretty much where I'm at with him. He's a guy that coasted on natural ability for too long and when he got to MLB and everybody has natural ability he got got. 

Like Ozzie said in a postgame show earlier this season, (paraphrasing)

'These guys train to look good, not to play baseball...'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We are the dumbest franchise in baseball, and we manage to reprove it on a daily basis.

They're going to pump & dump him right into a DFA after another lengthy IL stint...

Edited by Tnetennba

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You should Google some on recurrent hamstring injuries for athletes. I think you might change your perspective.

1 minute ago, tray said:

You should Google some on recurrent hamstring injuries for athletes. I think you might change your perspective.

Why isn’t this a more widespread issue among MLB players then?  What is Eloy doing differently with his conditioning, or lack thereof?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why isn’t this a more widespread issue among MLB players then?  What is Eloy doing differently with his conditioning, or lack thereof?

Source?

1 hour ago, tray said:

If he *only* had a history of hamstring injuries I'd agree with you. But, hamstring issues are usually caused by poor training and too much tension on the hamstring muscle and tendon relative to the quad and even then will often by the first thing to go on a well trained athlete giving it the max effort.

But Eloy? Every soft tissue in his body is constantly barking at him. Like, is he chronically dehydrated or something? Someone slip him some fucking advanced PED like the russian swimmers use or something, crikey.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Source?

Source for what?  I asked the question.  Where are all of these other outfielders and DHs, or even other position players, dropping like flies from these recurring hamstring injuries?

I know you’ve been Eloy’s number one fan for awhile and refused to admit that he was injury prone, but that ship has sailed.  It’s okay to admit that the guy is a bust, mostly due to being injury-prone.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Source for what?  I asked the question.  Where are all of these other outfielders and DHs, or even other position players, dropping like flies from these recurring hamstring injuries?

I know you’ve been Eloy’s number one fan for awhile and refused to admit that he was injury prone, but that ship has sailed.  It’s okay to admit that the guy is a bust, mostly due to being injury-prone.

You make no sense and having said that, I will no longer respond to your chiding, juvenile, asinine posts. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Eloy carries on

A day after returning from the injured list and playing through hamstring soreness Sunday, designated hitter Eloy Jimenez was in the lineup batting fourth.

“Every report I got today was that he was feeling pretty good,” Grifol said. “And [Sunday], I think he said on turns that it might have bothered him a little bit but on straightaways he felt good. We’ll see how it works out today in the game.”

The 6-4, 250-pound Jimenez singled to center, struck out and grounded out his first three times to the plate and appeared to be moving better Monday.

After injuries like that, I don’t think guys are ever going to be 100 percent, especially mentally,” Grifol said. “They don’t want to get hurt again. Hundred percent, for me, is no pain and no care in the world about getting hurt because they feel great.

“And when you have an injury like that, you might not have no pain or no discomfort, but your mind’s got to be free, too, to where you can go get it.”

Lunacy ?

White Sox designated hitter Eloy Jimenez has been noticeably laboring running the bases lately.

After Jimenez knocked a pinch-hit single to left field in the eighth inning of the Sox’ 11-3 win over the Rockies on Saturday, manager Pedro Grifol sent outfielder Corey Julks to pinch-run. The Sox need Jimenez’s bat, but he doesn’t look right on the base paths as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

“We measure all this stuff every day, and he gets up between 75 and 83%,” Grifol said. “The thing we are looking at is making sure that instead of doing that in short spurts, we measure it out by feet, too.”

Jimenez’s lack of mobility also showed in the Sox’ 5-3 win Friday. Jimenez scored from third after catcher Korey Lee grounded out, but if Rockies first baseman Michael Toglia had elected to throw home, there was a good chance Jimenez would have been thrown out.

If Jimenez is compromised, why is he active?

“Because in past history, even when he’s come back, it’s taken him 10 to 12 days, 10 to 14 days, to really get into sync with everything,” Grifol said. “Not just at the plate, but running around, the workload and all that stuff.”

Getting Jimenez up to speed is the Sox’ priority, and they want him to work through his struggles — both physically and at the plate — in the majors.

“You can go down there and try to get a rehab assignment, but it’s never the same as getting it here in the big leagues,” Grifol said. “The most important thing is, if he feels good at the plate and he’s swinging the bat, he can really help us.” ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Lunacy ?

White Sox designated hitter Eloy Jimenez has been noticeably laboring running the bases lately.

“You can go down there and try to get a rehab assignment, but it’s never the same as getting it here in the big leagues,” Grifol said. “The most important thing is, if he feels good at the plate and he’s swinging the bat, he can really help us.” ?

He's 27 years old and is carrying an OPS+ of 80. 

Grifol is talking like he's a 37 year old Frank Thomas playing on one foot and hitting 240/340/500. 

• Thanks 1