LaRussa speaks...

The team has really gone to hell since he left the dugout and stepped into that new role. 

I would love to have Tony advising me. Anything he thought was a good idea I would immediately cross off except bring back an analytics person. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Hey LaRussa, just retire already but before you do please advise your buddy Reinsdorf to sell the team.

He doesn't have to sell. Just step away from day to day operations and hire someone from outside to clean house. 

28 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He doesn't have to sell. Just step away from day to day operations and hire someone from outside to clean house. 

But JR still pays bills which doesn’t include signing top free agents and building an excellent farm system.  
The only housecleaning which will work is new ownership.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The team has really gone to hell since he left the dugout and stepped into that new role. 

I would love to have Tony advising me. Anything he thought was a good idea I would immediately cross off except bring back an analytics person. 

We call that the Jim Cramer Effect, shorting all of Cramer's stock advice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Jerry likes the smell of money way too much to let someone else tell him how to spend it 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tony might be a drunk, but not drunk enough to want to get any blame for this dumpster fire 

He might be a drunken dinosaur, but he seems to understand the concept of plausible deniability. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

He doesn't have to sell. Just step away from day to day operations and hire someone from outside to clean house

Which is never happening as long as JR has anything connection to this org…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

TLR gets so much undeserved s%*# on this board.

He deserved to be fired but was never the real problem.

No, but he was a symbol of the problem. The Sox hired a crony when they should have done an extensive search for a manager. La Russa should have had the sense not to take the job. It would have helped if he stayed awake in the dugout.

• Like 3

“I’m about how we should come together as a winning team, what the effort is like and how the game is being executed. If you don’t like how we’re running the bases, or taking at-bats or making good pitches and plays you can point the finger at me for having a relevance to that.”

uhh

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I agree. However to be fair I think the board was aghast at hiring him after the DUI in which he appeared pretty messed up on video. That was case closed for most fans. Furious that he got hired after the DUI. I think he got hired a few months after the arrest and JR acknowledged he knew about it.  La Russa has a pretty big ego. I doubt he'd want all these losses to go on his all time record. Surprised Popovich is hanging on for the same reason. Loss after loss piled onto the all time record. Tony's ego wouldn't like 20-60 records.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I agree. However to be fair I think the board was aghast at hiring him after the DUI in which he appeared pretty messed up on video. That was case closed for most fans. Furious that he got hired after the DUI. I think he got hired a few months after the arrest and JR acknowledged he knew about it.  La Russa has a pretty big ego. I doubt he'd want all these losses to go on his all time record. Surprised Popovich is hanging on for the same reason. Loss after loss piled onto the all time record. Tony's ego wouldn't like 20-60 records.

Even before the 2nd DUI was made public (which had been kept quiet) no one wanted to hire him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I agree. However to be fair I think the board was aghast at hiring him after the DUI in which he appeared pretty messed up on video. That was case closed for most fans. Furious that he got hired after the DUI.

The DUI had little to do with it, although it certainly didn’t help. It was the fact that we were the destination for a manager. We could have had our pick of basically anyone, instead we went with a decrepit old prick who hadn’t managed in years. It was, at least symbolically, the first step into the gutter from that potential success we were looking forward to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Seems he's still part of the problem.

If you don’t like how we’re running the bases, or taking at-bats or making good pitches and plays you can point the finger at me for having a relevance to that.”

22 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

The DUI had little to do with it, although it certainly didn’t help. It was the fact that we were the destination for a manager. We could have had our pick of basically anyone, instead we went with a decrepit old prick who hadn’t managed in years. It was, at least symbolically, the first step into the gutter from that potential success we were looking forward to.

Except for the DUI stuff I liked the hiring at the time. Hall of Famer comes back to the team that never should have fired him when he was a kid manager. Thought he could in Hollywood fashion lead us to glory. From what I've read he is such an unlikeable guy, combined with his breaking the law, you are right he should never have been hired.

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tony might be a drunk, but not drunk enough to want to get any blame for this dumpster fire 

JR deserves all the blame. Hahn is next in line. He concocted the "tank." The alleged difference makers acquired during the tank get hurt a lot. So he should have at the very least improved the medical/training staff if he was gonna acquire injury list wannabees.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Seems he's still part of the problem.

If you don’t like how we’re running the bases, or taking at-bats or making good pitches and plays you can point the finger at me for having a relevance to that.”

Sure whatever.

People just want an excuse to hate on TLR. The dude is a baseball lifer. He played six seasons in the majors. Fifteen in the minors. In addition to two seasons in minor league baseball, he oversaw thirty five MLB seasons. He led the Diamondbacks as CEO for five years. He worked for the Angels for three years as a senior advisor. He has won three world series and four manager of the year awards. He is already in the HOF.

He clearly was too old to manage when he got here and physically couldn't do it anymore, but after he was reassigned, nothing changed; in fact, this team took a step back. He wasn't the problem. Hahn, FO, and the ownership who put together the roster were. It's weird to me that knowing everything we now know including what the team looked like after he was reassigned people still blame the HOF manager with health problems instead of the incompetent boobs in our FO

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1