Latest attendance check...

From DVS of the Sun-Times:

Through 38 home games, the Sox are averaging 16,892 in attendance, 26th among 30 teams. They averaged 21,405 last year, ranking 24th.

Looks like JR may not have to pay rent again to the state?

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From DVS of the Sun-Times:

Through 38 home games, the Sox are averaging 16,892 in attendance, 26th among 30 teams. They averaged 21,405 last year, ranking 24th.

Looks like JR may not have to pay rent again to the state?

We are 27th only ahead of Miami and Oakland and going ahead of TB last night but doing better than I thought, I thought the Sox would average around 12,000 a game.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We are 27th only ahead of Miami and Oakland and going ahead of TB last night but doing better than I thought, I thought the Sox would average around 12,000 a game.

Let’s see how this looks when they trade people away and it’s oppressive august heat lol.  Your prediction might come back around yet 

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

I have no actual idea, why almost 17k people per game, would voluntarily subject themselves to this team.

Yep - that seems awfully high.

What’s their season ticket holder count? 10k or so?

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Attendance is better than I thought it would be. But then again, I am an old guy who remembers the early 1970s and crowds of less than 1,000.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The giveaway days definitely skew the numbers because good crowds always show up on those days.  

Plus, when the Sox face the good teams, Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox, half or more of the crowd is of the opponent anyway. 

• Like 1

I could be mistaken but tonight's game is showing up as sold-out on Ticketmaster and prices are sky high on secondary ticket sites.  The Dodgers must really travel well or Sox fans are desperate to see a good team play!

5 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

I could be mistaken but tonight's game is showing up as sold-out on Ticketmaster and prices are sky high on secondary ticket sites.  The Dodgers must really travel well or Sox fans are desperate to see a good team play!

Hispanic Heritage night 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Getting back to 2 million or 2.3 million or whatever the next three years sounds very much like a pipe dream.

It seems to me that the organization is fine with the present situation.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

It seems to me that the organization is fine with the present situation.

For an owner who reportedly thinks that second place is best, I’m sure he doesn’t mind the current predicament as long as he’s making money.  Old news but still hilariously sad…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 1

2 hours ago, Highland said:

Attendance is better than I thought it would be. But then again, I am an old guy who remembers the early 1970s and crowds of less than 1,000.

They averaged something like 4,800 in the horrible 1970 season. They almost doubled that in 1971 with a team that improved by 23 games, that was Harry Caray’s first year also. With Dick Allen on board they drew 1,777,000 in 72 and 1,302,000 in 1973. In those days drawing a million fans a year was like finding the holy grail. Their best year in the 70s was the fun and exciting year of the 1977 Southside Hitmen when they drew 1,677,000. 

• Like 1

Lots of piling on, sarcasm, and beating a dead horse and that is always fun for a certain kind of person.

After all that has been said and repeated ad nauseum, there are some things that need to be addressed given what has happened this year. The Sox have been in a lot of games that they lost in late innings.  Something should have been done weeks/months ago to improve the bullpen and to acquire a hitter or two to step in the middle of the line-up to fill in for Robert/Jiminez and slumping hitters like Vaughn and Benintendi.  Grifol should have been fired once the pattern of losses became obvious and predictable, however, no corrective action(s) were taken.

Let's bring this back to the attendance at games. If these issues were addressed maybe we would have had a team that was more competitive and generated more fan interest. Instead, JR allowed the Sox and our fan base to become punching bags, taking it on the chin, over and again. Having fun with that? Yes, a lot of that here.  I still think it is not too late to make some changes and at least win some games instead of throwing the towel in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Lots of piling on, sarcasm, and beating a dead horse and that is always fun for a certain kind of person.

After all that has been said and repeated ad nauseum, there are some things that need to be addressed given what has happened this year. The Sox have been in a lot of games that they lost in late innings.  Something should have been done weeks/months ago to improve the bullpen and to acquire a hitter or two to step in the middle of the line-up to fill in for Robert/Jiminez and slumping hitters like Vaughn and Benintendi.  Grifol should have been fired once the pattern of losses became obvious and predictable, however, no corrective action(s) were taken.

Let's bring this back to the attendance at games. If these issues were addressed maybe we would have had a team that was more competitive and generated more fan interest. Instead, JR allowed the Sox and our fan base to become punching bags, taking it on the chin, over and again. Having fun with that? Yes, a lot of that here.  I still think it is not too late to make some changes and at least win some games instead of throwing the towel in.

You pointed out the problems with the team, as well as the root cause.  But nothing will truly be right with the Sox until he’s gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tray said:

The Sox were not a couple of players away from anything except 100 losses instead of 120.  This roster was trash from day 1.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Good take on things but things are not going to really get better until we have new ownership.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The funny thing is attendance will be down thousands per game again next year, yet they may well have their most profitable year ever.

The team lost 100 games in 2018 and were the 6th most profitable team in MLB with the low payroll. I'm assuming this is whats going to happen in 2025.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox were not a couple of players away from anything except 100 losses instead of 120.  This roster was trash from day 1.

Hard to argue but the geniuses in charge really thought that Robert, Moncada and Jimenez were due for monster years and would stay healthy without any stints on the IL. They probably also thought that Benintendi was going to come back with a good year and that AV was going to become an .850 OPS guy. 

• Love 1