Latest attendance check...

Just now, Milkman delivers said:

That is possible, but it certainly doesn’t seem that way. I’m there a lot. Unless Chinatown is considered to be part of Bridgeport?

The Demographic Statistical Atlas of the United States - Statistical Atlas

I live in Bridgeport, and based on my anecdotal experience, it's certainly majority Asian. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oops.  Maybe TaylorStSox can be a rude f*** to you now.  ?

That wasn't the premise that Tray proposed. I'm not sure how it's relevant. Comparing white and black/hispanic populations was what his post was about. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I love that you guys are yelling at each other with the same stats because you are using the word "majority" differently. 

I'm not yelling. Some people are feeling the need to redefine the argument. Feels like they're experiencing some white victimhood/Trump vibes to me. 

• Paper Bag 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I love that you guys are yelling at each other with the same stats because you are using the word "majority" differently. 

Majority is the majority.  Why add two separate ethnicities together?  White is still the majority.  Period.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The Demographic Statistical Atlas of the United States - Statistical Atlas

I live in Bridgeport, and based on my anecdotal experience, it's certainly majority Asian. 

Looking at the map they use, I didn’t realize that the parts of Bridgeport north of 31st street were such low percentage white. Learn something new every day.

Looking at the map they use, I didn’t realize that the parts of Bridgeport north of 31st street were such low percentage white. Learn something new every day.

I'm pretty shocked that you've been to Bridgeport recently and haven't noticed. 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not yelling. Some people are feeling the need to redefine the argument. Feels like they're experiencing some white victimhood/Trump vibes to me. 

Oh boy, don’t turn it into this crap ?

We were arguing numbers, not politics.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

I can't see any other reason somebody would take offence to Tray's factually based post. 

I guess I never really hear it phrased the way he put it. In this instance, I’d think a more normal way to phrase it would be the majority is non-white. Easier to parse and not get confused. More just about how different people can read the same things in different ways.

I guess I never really hear it phrased the way he put it. In this instance, I’d think a more normal way to phrase it would be the majority is non-white. Easier to parse and not get confused. More just about how different people can read the same things in different ways.

You've never seen people compare populations in terms of people of color to white people? It's been literally the standard demographic comparison since 1865. 

Seriously it all depends on how you are defining "majority" as to one group meaning 50% +1 or more, and the other trying to just say the largest group, even if it isn't over 50%.  

The largest single race population in Chicago is white, but if combined the next two groups together those do make up more than 50% of the total population.  Both things are true at the same time, and when the word majority is used for two of its different definitions, each group is right despite the need to name call because of it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seriously it all depends on how you are defining "majority" as to one group meaning 50% +1 or more, and the other trying to just say the largest group, even if it isn't over 50%.  

The largest single race population in Chicago is white, but if combined the next two groups together those do make up more than 50% of the total population.  Both things are true at the same time, and when the word majority is used for two of its different definitions, each group is right despite the need to name call because of it.

Tray was speaking of the city as a whole. I compared the South Side because the Sox have identified themselves as "Chicago's South Side team" for the last century or so. 

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I can't see any other reason somebody would take offence to Tray's factually based post. 

Did you read the last phrase?  Usually when you point out majority minority status and then immediately comment on people's "safety" that is a commonly used dog whistle amongst a certain crowd.  I have no idea what he actually meant by it, but it is 100% valid to hear that, intended or not.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Did you read the last phrase?  Usually when you point out majority minority status and then immediately comment on people's "safety" that is a commonly used dog whistle amongst a certain crowd.  I have no idea what he actually meant by it, but it is 100% valid to hear that, intended or not.

Yes, and I don’t think tray intended it that way but I immediately noticed it and called it out in a post.  But he also called me a moron so who knows?  He has a bit of a temper.  Better than being called a member of the KKK I guess…

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

You've never seen people compare populations in terms of people of color to white people? It's been literally the standard demographic comparison since 1865. 

In regards to Chicago specifically, I generally don’t think of there being a “majority” at all. I basically consider it to be equally distributed.

So when someone says it’s a majority black plus Hispanic, it doesn’t quite add up in my mind. Like I mentioned before, it could also be considered to be black plus white, or Hispanic plus white. Just seems an odd way of breaking it up.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He explains it better.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I interpreted that as in "tonight's a party night at a park that rarely sells out." Party night means that more people will be intoxicated. 

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

In regards to Chicago specifically, I generally don’t think of there being a “majority” at all. I basically consider it to be equally distributed.

So when someone says it’s a majority black plus Hispanic, it doesn’t quite add up in my mind. Like I mentioned before, it could also be considered to be black plus white, or Hispanic plus white. Just seems an odd way of breaking it up.

He explains it better.

It's kind of odd that you wouldn't consider that in a city that's historically been incredibly racist and segregated by intentional design - to the extent that it should be criminal. 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's kind of odd that you wouldn't consider that in a city that's historically been incredibly racist and segregated by intentional design - to the extent that it should be criminal. 

Simply because I’m not looking at everything through that lens?

If that’s how you see things, more power to you. I was looking at it purely as numbers.