Latest attendance check...

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I interpreted that as in "tonight's a party night at a park that rarely sells out." Party night means that more people will be intoxicated. 

Certain words and phrases mean different things to different people in different situations.   Being very active in a community with very evenly divided racial make ups I can tell you for sure that combination of those two sets of phrases would set off alarm bells within a lot of people's heads. Use them in the wrong circles and people will look at you differently.  Use them in another crowd and you would make friends with people you don't want to be friends with.

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Telling people to "stay safe" at the Half Way to St Patricks Day sponsored by Miller Light promotion also seems pretty reasonable. 

It's also privilege to not realize that your words can carry meanings beyond just the words you use.

11 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Unless you actually read his post verbatim. 

Like I said, if you don't have to care about what you say, that is privilege.  You don't have to believe me, it's no skin off my back, but when you mention specific minorities and then immediately make a comment about safety you will get some side eyes.  It would have had a completely different tone if the post was about the sell out, the drunks, or something like it, but when you start by mentioning those groups it changes the way it can be heard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like I said, if you don't have to care about what you say, that is privilege.  You don't have to believe me, it's no skin off my back, but when you mention specific minorities and then immediately make a comment about safety you will get some side eyes.  It would have had a completely different tone if the post was about the sell out, the drunks, or something like it, but when you start by mentioning those groups it changes the way it can be heard.

Fair. He was actually talking about the majority though. ?

On 6/26/2024 at 11:33 AM, The Mighty Mite said:

They averaged something like 4,800 in the horrible 1970 season. They almost doubled that in 1971 with a team that improved by 23 games, that was Harry Caray’s first year also. With Dick Allen on board they drew 1,777,000 in 72 and 1,302,000 in 1973. In those days drawing a million fans a year was like finding the holy grail. Their best year in the 70s was the fun and exciting year of the 1977 Southside Hitmen when they drew 1,677,000. 

1977 was the best baseball year of my life. Left on family vacation in early August and completely missed the collapse.

Met a girl named Maureen Schwind and totally forgot about the Sox until we got home. Heck of a summer.:)