Half season evaluations - Bummer trade

On 6/27/2024 at 12:56 PM, WestEddy said:

SoxMachine did a nice write-up of how the Bummer trade has turned out, so far. Hint: it's a wash depending on what Gowens becomes. 

https://soxmachine.com/2024/06/the-aaron-bummer-trade-scorecard-hasnt-been-worth-keeping/#google_vignette

Braves announcers on this weeks game were thanking the Sox for Bummer, and praising Bummer for being one of only two pitchers this season in MLB with no barrels.  Maybe Bummer also needed a change of scenery and has a better surrounding cast in ATL which is helping him.  In hindsight, maybe we should have kept him in view of  how erratic our pen has been with a bunch of journeymen.

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Braves announcers on this weeks game were thanking the Sox for Bummer, and praising Bummer for being one of only two pitchers this season in MLB with no barrels.  Maybe Bummer also needed a change of scenery and has a better surrounding cast in ATL which is helping him.  In hindsight, maybe we should have kept him in view of  how erratic our pen has been with a bunch of journeymen.

I have no regrets with the Sox cutting bait with Bummer, good luck to him I hope he gets a ring with Atlanta.

• Like 2

What is a "barrel?"   A nouveau word for "homer?"

Anyway, it's the same thing out of Bummer this year as  in the past:  Low homer totals, High Whip (1.60 this year), high ERA, but low FIP.  So i guess the idea is that he keeps getting unlucky that so many of the balls hit against him are dropping in for hits.
It goes back to those theories that the only true measurables are Ks and homers.
But at some point, when "bad luck" keeps happening year after year, you have to question the validity of the statistic.

Sox did fine on this trade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Anyway, it's the same thing out of Bummer this year as  in the past:  Low homer totals, High Whip (1.60 this year), high ERA, but low FIP.  So i guess the idea is that he keeps getting unlucky that so many of the balls hit against him are dropping in for hits.
It goes back to those theories that the only true measurables are Ks and homers.
But at some point, when "bad luck" keeps happening year after year, you have to question the validity of the statistic.

The MLB definition of "barrel":

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/barrel

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I didn't know what the actual definition was (I just knew it was "hit hard), but MLB has it as:

"To be Barreled, a batted ball requires an exit velocity of at least 98 mph. At that speed, balls struck with a launch angle between 26-30 degrees always garner Barreled classification. For every mph over 98, the range of launch angles expands."

Basically, no one is squaring up on Bummer's pitches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

There might be some validity to the term. Or it could just be another "overthink" stat.

Either way I'm glad Bummer is in Atlanta 

The stat allows pitchers know what pitches they throw are being squared up, and which aren't. That's valuable information. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

The stat allows pitchers know what pitches they throw are being squared up, and which aren't. That's valuable information. 

One thing I remember about Bannister from his playing career is that he embraced analytics wholeheartedly. This is the kind of stuff he (I would think) would be looking at very closely.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quin said:

I didn't know what the actual definition was (I just knew it was "hit hard), but MLB has it as:

"To be Barreled, a batted ball requires an exit velocity of at least 98 mph. At that speed, balls struck with a launch angle between 26-30 degrees always garner Barreled classification. For every mph over 98, the range of launch angles expands."

Basically, no one is squaring up on Bummer's pitches.

I really like this post.  

Curious what your take is.  Personally - I think we keep getting pwned trading for offense vs pitching.  EVERYONE who wins takes our pitching.  And we haven't scored runs since 2006.  Lots of REALLY good pitching shipped out and few runs come back.

My .02, anyway.

The funniest part of this trade was always Hahns weird preference for sinker ball relievers in front of an awful infield defense paired with finally trading bummer in front of Getz trying to finally fix the infield defense (which didn’t really happen).

Anyway was easy to call we got garbage, which was worse when we picked up nickys option for some reason.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

The funniest part of this trade was always Hahns weird preference for sinker ball relievers in front of an awful infield defense paired with finally trading bummer in front of Getz trying to finally fix the infield defense (which didn’t really happen).

Anyway was easy to call we got garbage, which was worse when we picked up nickys option for some reason.

While he didn't install a error-proof defense, DeJong is a step up from TA, and Lopez is a step up from what they had last year at 2B. Moncada is better than anybody who could cover his innings in his absence. Vaughn is not good. 

And for the "Riley Gowens is too old for A+ ball..." crowd:

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And for the "Riley Gowens is too old for A+ ball..." crowd:

Yeah, and in 4 months when he turns 25... guess what...

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Not to mention it was actually true.  He was basically a year older than the average A+ pitcher, which is very unusual for a real prospect.

image.png

22 minutes ago, T R U said:

Avg age in AA is 24.6 so in 4 months he’s 5 months older than the average. Not a big deal if he shows he can perform there in the second half of this season and lay a path for starting with Charlotte next season.

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not to mention it was actually true.  He was basically a year older than the average A+ pitcher, which is very unusual for a real prospect.

image.png

He was and I agree with you. I really had no deeper point to argue. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, T R U said:

The season's over in 4 months. This is his age 24 season. At Birmingham, he'd be about half a year younger than the average pitcher in AA. He's age appropriate for AA. 

Also, he was only drafted last year. Fast mover. 

Edited by WestEddy