Sheets not expected to hit IL with bruised heel, day to day

Baseball injury reports just blow my mind. Out with a "bruised heel". I'm sorry, what?

Meanwhile, a guy just played for the Stanley Cup with a broken rib and a broken finger. Another played with a torn abdominal muscle that needs surgery. Just fucking lol.

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Baseball injury reports just blow my mind. Out with a "bruised heel". I'm sorry, what?

Meanwhile, a guy just played for the Stanley Cup with a broken rib and a broken finger. Another played with a torn abdominal muscle that needs surgery. Just fucking lol.

nah s%*# hurts. easily done hitting the bag over and over in season. you can't push off it. it's similar to plantar fasciitis type injury in that you just really can't play with it even tho you're not feeling much pain just walking.

you get hurt a lot in baseball just from doing the same thing over and over. 

30 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I played NCAA hockey.

Well, respectfully, your opinion makes absolutely no sense. Just skating a single 45-60 second shift in hockey is more repetitive, precise movement, than an entire fucking baseball game. Especially if you're not a pitcher. And my buddy, who played both NCAA baseball, and hockey, wholeheartedly disagrees with your opinion.

What are you doing as a baseball player that is a repetitive, precise movement, aside from swinging a bat, or pitching? A center, just taking faceoffs, is doing more repetitive, precise movement than any baseball player does in an entire game.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

3 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Do you not see a difference between playing in a Stanley Cup game, and a meaningless baseball game in June for a team 40 games under .500? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Well, respectfully, your opinion makes absolutely no sense. Just skating a single 45-60 second shift in hockey is more repetitive, precise movement, than an entire fucking baseball game. Especially if you're not a pitcher. And my buddy, who played both NCAA baseball, and hockey, wholeheartedly disagrees with your opinion.

What are you doing as a baseball player that is a repetitive, precise movement, aside from swinging a bat, or pitching? A center, just taking faceoffs, is doing more repetitive, precise movement than any baseball player does in an entire game.

Perhaps you are missing my point.

If you hurt your wrist, say, you can adjust your mechanics for taking a face-off and still be effective. Your mechanics are thrown off, for sure, but you can adjust.

Baseball, when pitching or hitting, is so incredibly dependant on repetitive mechanics that smaller injuries will have an outsized impact on performance. With a damaged wrist like Luis Robert a couple of years ago, you can still absolutely be an effective hockey player. It will affect you, and it hurts like hell, but you can make adjustments. You might lose that little snap on your pass, or you might just straight up not be able to take a slap shot, for example, but there is enough that you can do to be effective elsewhere.

In baseball, if you have a wrist injury like that, one major part of your game is just straight up f'ed. Can you try to play through the pain? Sure, but it's far more likely to affect your performance.

Not saying it doesn't hurt hockey players (it does hurt). What I am saying is that hockey has so many other components athletically that, if you can stand the pain, you can perform. Similar injuries in baseball, by the nature of pitching and hitting, will have an outsized impact on your ability to perform. If you disagree, feel free to call out any pitcher for not pitching through a torn UCL.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Do you not see a difference between playing in a Stanley Cup game, and a meaningless baseball game in June for a team 40 games under .500? 

Also, this.

What are you doing as a baseball player that is a repetitive, precise movement, aside from swinging a bat, or pitching? 

Also, swinging a bat and pitching are literally like 90% of what determines the outcome of a game of baseball.

28 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Also, swinging a bat and pitching are literally like 90% of what determines the outcome of a game of baseball.

Took X rays of Sheets WAR it was negative. 

• Haha 3

Sorry for the barrage of responses here. It’s kind of a point love to nerd out on. You just happened to give me an excuse to talk about it - lol.

Last point - my point isn’t that hockey isn’t full of precise, repetitive movements. It absolutely is. But it’s got enough of them that a player’s success isn’t generally completely dependent on their ability to do one specific thing. So, back to my original post, baseball is far more dependent on precision movements.

In baseball. A position player’s value is overwhelmingly determined these days by his ability to swing a bat. The nature of the movement is that it requires absolute precision with defined and rehearsed start and end points that players strive to replicate. A difference in, for example, the angle in which you stride as you lead into your swing can (and frequently does) impact a player’s performance in an outsized way. An injured wrist can be the difference between being a productive bat and being Martin Maldonado.
Hockey, mechanically, is a diverse enough of a sport that there are enough things that you can do to still be productive.

I think one thing I misspoke on my original post is that baseball has “more” precise movements. The point I meant to get across is the dependency on said movements, or the portion of performance that relies on the replicability of those movements.

12 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Obviously to be competitive baseball players have to be in prime condition.  Hockey is so easy you can play hurt kind of like pickleball. /Sarcasm

• Haha 1

I think a shorter way to look at it is in baseball there are fewer movements and fewer skillful opportunities necessary to be successful. If any of those are diminished your value drops precipitously. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think a shorter way to look at it is in baseball there are fewer movements and fewer skillful opportunities necessary to be successful. If any of those are diminished your value drops precipitously. 

That's a much simpler and elegant way to put it than my word vomit.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JoeC said:

Sorry for the barrage of responses here. It’s kind of a point love to nerd out on. You just happened to give me an excuse to talk about it - lol.

Last point - my point isn’t that hockey isn’t full of precise, repetitive movements. It absolutely is. But it’s got enough of them that a player’s success isn’t generally completely dependent on their ability to do one specific thing. So, back to my original post, baseball is far more dependent on precision movements.

In baseball. A position player’s value is overwhelmingly determined these days by his ability to swing a bat. The nature of the movement is that it requires absolute precision with defined and rehearsed start and end points that players strive to replicate. A difference in, for example, the angle in which you stride as you lead into your swing can (and frequently does) impact a player’s performance in an outsized way. An injured wrist can be the difference between being a productive bat and being Martin Maldonado.
Hockey, mechanically, is a diverse enough of a sport that there are enough things that you can do to still be productive.

I think one thing I misspoke on my original post is that baseball has “more” precise movements. The point I meant to get across is the dependency on said movements, or the portion of performance that relies on the replicability of those movements.

I mean, skating is that one specific thing. That's why I mentioned it. If you have an injury that greatly impacts your skating, you're not going to be an effective player at all. Especially in this day and age where skating is the single most important attribute. 

Regardless, though, my posts on this topic are really not at all serious. I just think it's hilarious a baseball player is sidelined with a "bruised heel", especially after reading the reports about what guys played through in the NHL. And as you know, having played hockey at a high level, hockey players are pretty much always playing through something (including bruised heels). It just sounds so incredibly soft to be out because of a "bruise".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeC said:

That's a much simpler and elegant way to put it than my word vomit.

Baseball is mostly seven guys standing around a lot which is why it got buried by football. The analytics are amazing though. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I mean, skating is that one specific thing. That's why I mentioned it. If you have an injury that greatly impacts your skating, you're not going to be an effective player at all. Especially in this day and age where skating is the single most important attribute. 

Regardless, though, my posts on this topic are really not at all serious. I just think it's hilarious a baseball player is sidelined with a "bruised heel", especially after reading the reports about what guys played through in the NHL. And as you know, having played hockey at a high level, hockey players are pretty much always playing through something (including bruised heels). It just sounds so incredibly soft to be out because of a "bruise".

Agreed.

Honestly the closest comparison to baseball players is golfers IMO.

• Like 1