6/29 Sox vs. Rocks 1:10 PM

DoUEvenShift

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Hmmm, a skeptic to all the tank nonsense might say the Sox have a few pieces to work with on the starting pitching side, albeit starting pitching now means 5 innings. Maybe spend a couple bucks and have a good staff next season? Nah, can't do that in the age of tank/rebuild. Got to make those trades cause of Jerry's wallet. ... Lot of bombs today against the inept Rockies. Sox finally playing a team they should boatrace at home and are doing so.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Modern baseball play by play quite different from the days of the pros like Caray, Brickhouse, Scully, Mathews. Denny Mathews of the Royals would rather be fired on the spot than make a silly call like this one. Listen to it and comment. I give the call a solid F.

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Modern baseball play by play quite different from the days of the pros like Caray, Brickhouse, Scully, Mathews. Denny Mathews of the Royals would rather be fired on the spot than make a silly call like this one. Listen to it and comment. I give the call a solid F.

That call was ridiculous, I hope this guy starts growing into the job, right now he’s coming off as a buffoon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

That call was ridiculous, I hope this guy starts growing into the job, right now he’s coming off as a buffoon.

To growl on the call was simply ... for gradeschoolers (who weren't watching/listening). The adios is simply too loud and the growling may have been the most embarrassing moment in Sox broadcast history. Agree?

Edited by greg775

14 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I just saw the game recap and the Rockies got a guy with a pretty dumb home run call..."Sometimes you swing and do not miss" He said that on both of Colorado's home runs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I just saw the game recap and the Rockies got a guy with a pretty dumb home run call..."Sometimes you swing and do not miss" He said that on both of Colorado's home runs.

Ugh. Double ugh. What is going on with these announcers? Everybody wants a signature call I guess to put on Tshirts and monetize.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

To growl on the call was simply ... for gradeschoolers (who weren't watching/listening). The adios is simply too loud and the growling may have been the most embarrassing moment in Sox broadcast history. Agree?

I started out with Bob Elson back in the 50s with the transistor under the pillow, no worries about falling asleep with the Commander calling the game but I have to agree that call by Schriffen is something we never hear again. I wonder if Stone is helping this guy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Have you ever heard Caribbean Series announcers? Soccer announcers? This isn't golf. 

14 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I started out with Bob Elson back in the 50s with the transistor under the pillow, no worries about falling asleep with the Commander calling the game but I have to agree that call by Schriffen is something we never hear again. I wonder if Stone is helping this guy.

I feel for Stoney. What can he do when his partner is completely grade-schoolish? No offense to Schriff. But why force it? Bennetti couldn't come up with a reasonable catch phrase so he just announced. Schriff's call was so silly I don't even know what to say.

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Have you ever heard Caribbean Series announcers? Soccer announcers? This isn't golf. 

The growling was too much. The adios was not good according to my tastes but I could understand if he wanted to do 'adios' on Robert homers. The growling makes me speechless.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I feel for Stoney. What can he do when his partner is completely grade-schoolish? No offense to Schriff. But why force it? Bennetti couldn't come up with a reasonable catch phrase so he just announced. Schriff's call was so silly I don't even know what to say.

When jack Brickhouse broadcast the Bears games with Irv Kupcient.  Irv had 1 response to everything Brickhouse would say, "That's right Jack "

Stoney could always go down that road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

When jack Brickhouse broadcast the Bears games with Irv Kupcient.  Irv had 1 response to everything Brickhouse would say, "That's right Jack "

Stoney could always go down that road.

Then Kup would say, hey Jack pass the mustard.

I had an uncle that also worked for the Sun Times in those years and told me that Kup never paid for a meal in Chicago plus other things, a plug in the column was all that was needed. Of course Chicago’s motto in those days was “The City on the Take”.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm, a skeptic to all the tank nonsense might say the Sox have a few pieces to work with on the starting pitching side, albeit starting pitching now means 5 innings. Maybe spend a couple bucks and have a good staff next season? Nah, can't do that in the age of tank/rebuild. Got to make those trades cause of Jerry's wallet. ... Lot of bombs today against the inept Rockies. Sox finally playing a team they should boatrace at home and are doing so.

They MAY have some pieces on the pitching side. Time will tell.

What they DON'T HAVE is quality players on offense up and down the lineup and a Major League defense.

If you think they can solve all that in a single off season especially given JR's "fiscal responsibility" I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Sell off a half dozen guys in three weeks and keep accumulating talent, then "hope" it actually comes together.

Or "hope" for new ownersahip.

Take your choice.  

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You don't just hire an outside guy because he is slick and speaks well. Sox ignorance.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They MAY have some pieces on the pitching side. Time will tell.

What they DON'T HAVE is quality players on offense up and down the lineup and a Major League defense.

If you think they can solve all that in a single off season especially given JR's "fiscal responsibility" I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Sell off a half dozen guys in three weeks and keep accumulating talent, then "hope" it actually comes together.

Or "hope" for new ownersahip.

Take your choice.  

So you are kind of agreeing with me with the only holdup Jerry's wallet. Sad state of affairs Jerry won't even TRY to field a winner. I repeat my mantra: If this is the case fricking contract the team. Just move it to Tennessee. That state is growing, will sell out every game and that new owner will make a ton of $$. Sox get an expansion team bought by M. Cuban or Ice Cube or some foreign mogul.