6/29 Sox vs. Rocks 1:10 PM

DoUEvenShift

1 hour ago, pcq said:

You don't just hire an outside guy because he is slick and speaks well. Sox ignorance.

That call deserves some discussion. I tried, couldn't spark any. greg rarely gets outraged but the growling turned me into a critical madman.

• Hawk 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Modern baseball play by play quite different from the days of the pros like Caray, Brickhouse, Scully, Mathews. Denny Mathews of the Royals would rather be fired on the spot than make a silly call like this one. Listen to it and comment. I give the call a solid F.

Oh you're a good Catholic boy Gregory. What does the good Book say ? You must be like a little child to enter the Kingdom of heaven . While as adults we might think that call was at best rather silly and at worst ridiculous but let's also remember what we might've thought hearing it as a young baseball fan. Hopefully children still go to games and watch games on TV with Dad or Mom . Kids might like it and if makes a kid smile or  like it enough to want to watch more .Hopefully, as parents watching with our children, we're not cursing at the TV in front of them.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh you're a good Catholic boy Gregory. What does the good Book say ? You must be like a little child to enter the Kingdom of heaven . While as adults we might think that call was at best rather silly and at worst ridiculous but let's also remember what we might've thought hearing it as a young baseball fan. Hopefully children still go to games and watch games on TV with Dad or Mom . Kids might like it and if makes a kid smile or  like it enough to want to watch more .Hopefully, as parents watching with our children, we're not cursing at the TV in front of them.

It's funny you say that cause i literally thought right after the call "My 8 year old self would have LOVED that"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

To growl on the call was simply ... for gradeschoolers (who weren't watching/listening). The adios is simply too loud and the growling may have been the most embarrassing moment in Sox broadcast history. Agree?

No.

the “we ain’t taking that!!” was the most embarrassing.

9 hours ago, WestEddy said:

That’s great.  Imagine if we would still have Cease, ReyLo and Bummer, our season would be a different story.  Padres and Braves are thanking the Sox.  ReyLo ERA 1.70 lowest for a starter in MLB, Bummer only one of two pitchers in MLB with no barrels this season, and Cease has a 3.84 ERA with 125 Ks.  I hope we got some good returns for these guys, beyond a salary dump.

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Nice to see this bunch of deadbeats and buffoons can beat somebody! 

This series is the battle for the lucky losers title.  So far the Sox are winning.  Both teams have been interchangeably bad, could be the Chicago Rockies and the Colorado White Sox, could not tell much of a difference before, but the Sox are pulling away lately.

50 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

That’s great.  Imagine if we would still have Cease, ReyLo and Bummer, our season would be a different story.  Padres and Braves are thanking the Sox.  ReyLo ERA 1.70 lowest for a starter in MLB, Bummer only one of two pitchers in MLB with no barrels this season, and Cease has a 3.84 ERA with 125 Ks.  I hope we got some good returns for these guys, beyond a salary dump.

Yes instead of 24-61 the team would be 29-56.

Big deal! 😆

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

First of all I'm not offended by your mention of church which is kind of a non sequitir here. If that was a little shot, that's OK. You may have not meant it that way. I can take a little teasing if it was a little joke.

You know what? I thought of the 'little kid' thing. And I could accept that argument that kids might like the growling in the call and screaming of 'adios.' Might even be educational if a 5-year-old wasn't familiar with 'adios.' HOWEVER I came to the conclusion on a bright summer day, nobody's watching or very few kids are watching (if they are indoors they are playing video games over White Sox baseball) the abysmal White Sox on TV versus the abysmal Rocks. So in short I can't accept the little kid argument. Besides announcers are supposed to be announcing for the beer demographic, 21 to 41. Even if he decided on his own to go for the 5 to 12 year olds, that'd be a good way to get fired. Not many 5 to 12s are watching MLB Sox style. Peace out.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yes instead of 24-61 the team would be 29-56.

Big deal! 😆

But Lip Man, with Cease and Lopez and the current crop of starting pitchers (plus Quintana) we'd have a promising outlook for next season, assuming Jerry would pay just a bit for 2 everyday players. Is he that cheap he wouldn't take on ANY money at all? 

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

It's funny you say that cause i literally thought right after the call "My 8 year old self would have LOVED that"

Yeah I thought it too (watching replay as I don't watch the games this year with no mlbcom), but like I said, the 5 to 12 year old market ain't watching. 

38 minutes ago, greg775 said:

First of all I'm not offended by your mention of church which is kind of a non sequitir here. If that was a little shot, that's OK. You may have not meant it that way. I can take a little teasing if it was a little joke.

You know what? I thought of the 'little kid' thing. And I could accept that argument that kids might like the growling in the call and screaming of 'adios.' Might even be educational if a 5-year-old wasn't familiar with 'adios.' HOWEVER I came to the conclusion on a bright summer day, nobody's watching or very few kids are watching (if they are indoors they are playing video games over White Sox baseball) the abysmal White Sox on TV versus the abysmal Rocks. So in short I can't accept the little kid argument. Besides announcers are supposed to be announcing for the beer demographic, 21 to 41. Even if he decided on his own to go for the 5 to 12 year olds, that'd be a good way to get fired. Not many 5 to 12s are watching MLB Sox style. Peace out.

You know what Greg? Nobody is marketing to you or me. I'm 60, I'm guessing you're within 10 years of me, on either side. Baseball is either trying to get parents to drag the kids out to the park, or trying to get you to bet money on some HR/W parlay. 

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ban.  First religion, next comes politics…

WestEddy is no doubt going to bring up how Joe Biden dominated Trump in the debate!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1