7/2 Games

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Unnecessarily pushing him to AAA to begin the season was a choice I wouldn't have made.

East to say that in hindsight, though, isn’t it? Had he continued to hit in AAA, nobody would have been like, “Not the move I would have made, but glad it worked out.”

Edited by SoxBlanco

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Unnecessarily pushing him to AAA to begin the season was a choice I wouldn't have made.

Said that as soon as it was announced. Not like he dominated AA a year before either. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peanut33tillman said:

I’m getting pretty worried about him and the hit tool….

There was just ZERO need to push him so quickly.

Avoiding BIRM for the most part to hit at Charlotte for 70 games was supposed to have a positive impact on his confidence.

And now Ja.Gonzalez is really starting to scuffle as well after the hot start.  Not surprising in the least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

East to day that in hindsight, though, isn’t it? Had he continued to hit in AAA, nobody would have been like, “Not the move I would have made, but glad it worked out.”

Personally it's not hindsight, I thought that at the time when it was announced. I believed he could've used more time in AA considering he missed a chunk of time due to injury. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Personally it's not hindsight, I thought that at the time when it was announced. I believed he could've used more time in AA considering he missed a chunk of time due to injury. 

That’s fair. Hopefully he turns it around and the adversity ends up being good for him. 

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That’s fair. Hopefully he turns it around and the adversity ends up being good for him. 

I keep looking for signs that the Sox system is somehow getting past some of the stupid mistakes it make in the past, and it is things like this which give me pause.  We still seem to be trying to rush some guys.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I keep looking for signs that the Sox system is somehow getting past some of the stupid mistakes it make in the past, and it is things like this which give me pause.  We still seem to be trying to rush some guys.

They wanted to have him to market over the offseason...assuming they weren't even going to spend $50 million plus on a Second Tier FAs.

(Somehow, one gets the feeling he will require at least one full year to make the conversion to 3B from SS, and they're not going to want to have him preoccupied with defensive adjustments like they saddled Andrew Vaughn with his first two big league seasons.)

And moving Schultz to the big league club in April of 2025 would be considered management malpractice, basically.

Edited by caulfield12

Posted (edited)

The only concerning thing about Montgomery is the k's. He still way ahead of schedule for the 22nd pick. He's 3 years removed from high school. He's taking his lumps in AAA, but it's not like he's completely overmatched.

I would have preferred her stayed in AA, but nothing that's happened is overly concerning.

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There was just ZERO need to push him so quickly.

Avoiding BIRM for the most part to hit at Charlotte for 70 games was supposed to have a positive impact on his confidence.

And now Ja.Gonzalez is really starting to scuffle as well after the hot start.  Not surprising in the least.

Gonzalez is wearing out in his first full season of professional baseball. He's still carrying a .350 obp and 39:31 k to bb ratio. Not bad for a kid that was completely written off by many.

• Like 2

Maybe it was a good thing. Perhaps he was only seeing velocity with poor command in AA, and at AAA he could truly work on this issue. He'll need to.

• Like 1