Tim Anderson DFA'd by Marlins

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cuban_sammiches said:

I always liked TA. The HR at the Field of Dreams game is legend. There was a series in Cleveland (not the Ramirez TKO game) when the baby mama drama started that TA and the Sox started a decline that never stopped. Really weird to watch that unfold.

That series they got swept at the end of 2022 by the Guardians was REALLY the end, although most Sox fans were at least SOMEWHAT optimistic going into 2023 because of the possibility of better player health and the replacement of TLR...but we were almost universally correct about being skeptical on that one.  It's usually a bad sign when a guy's own organization doesn't have enough faith in him.  Kind of the same thing with Sandy Alomar, Jr., in Cleveland.   

Some just don't have the drive and determination to deal with the modern day player in a more proactive way, or simply to put in the long hours and deal with incessant travel for 7 1/2 months of the year, and an extra 3 weeks for the post-season.

Call it the Gabe Kapler-ization, Joe Maddon or Terry Francona after he left BOS approach.  The opposite of "old school" which Grifol pretty much defines.  Even Grifol's best friend Eduardo Perez is much more forward thinking from a media-oriented perspective.

In the end, Anderson let fame and women go to his head and started to believe he was one of the greats of the game, a modern-day Jackie Robinson and basically his "s%*# didn't stink."  He didn't put in the time and effort to keep improving on defense.  He hit so well over a 3 year stretch that he thought it was just like riding a bike and he didn't have to put the work in there, either.  When you believe you're indispensable to the franchise, you tend to start getting a feeling of entitlement and nobody was every able to really get in his face like an Abreu, Cueto or Pham type of leader and get through to him about the consequences of living a wild life on the road, going out all the time, not living the "clean" dedicated/committed Ohtani way...the guy who's always out there thinking of ways to improve and hone his craft every single day on earth until he retires.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to go out into LF... But if we do trade DeJong, and get Moncada back healthy, I would be OK with bringing back Tim to run at SS, and put Lenyn at 2B instead of Nicky.

Meh, for me the main reason to bring back someone like Tim Anderson would be to pump and dump him at the deadline. Four weeks isn't enough to accumulate any value so why bother.

I don't really care if he is brought back and honestly why would he want to come back and play for this shithole of a team? Let him latch onto a contender who has an injury or a spot open and let it go

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This guy Infers racism in like 50+ percent of his posts.  Glad to see other people are realizing it now.

I don’t recall Frank being booed.  If Anderson got booed, it’s because he sucks.  And he probably sucks because he is worried about his shrunken paycheck going to all of his side pieces cuz he’s apparently never heard of pulling out.

I don't know if this was just long enough ago that people forgot ot weren't around, but Frank Thomas 100% caught strays from both fans and teammates.   He was booed by fans.  His toughness was questioned by teammates and managers.  Bo Jackson called him a selfish prick and a douchebag.  Sox fans have a history of booing players that look like Frank.  That goes back decades.  Call it racism, or deserved somehow, but it is true.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Meh, for me the main reason to bring back someone like Tim Anderson would be to pump and dump him at the deadline. Four weeks isn't enough to accumulate any value so why bother.

I don't really care if he is brought back and honestly why would he want to come back and play for this shithole of a team? Let him latch onto a contender who has an injury or a spot open and let it go

For me, it is more about not rushing Colson Montgomery who is still adjusting to AAA.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

For me, it is more about not rushing Colson Montgomery who is still adjusting to AAA.

If the Sox bring up Colson this year, woof. He’s been bad at AAA. He shouldn’t sniff the big leagues until next summer. Wasting a year of service on this shithole team with this lame duck manager would be malpractice. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox bring up Colson this year, woof. He’s been bad at AAA. He shouldn’t sniff the big leagues until next summer. Wasting a year of service on this shithole team with this lame duck manager would be malpractice. 

So when does he get called up, go 1-20 getting spotty starts to Nicky Lopez, and get sent down after a couple of weeks?

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So when does he get called up, go 1-20 getting spotty starts to Nicky Lopez, and get sent down after a couple of weeks?

I would hope that the door is closed on Colson playing for Sox this season. Even if Sox move Dejong and Lopez at the deadline, Moncada, Sosa, Mendick, Ramos, Shewmake, and even Baldwin should be able to cover the IF spots for the balance of 24. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would hope that the door is closed on Colson playing for Sox this season. Even if Sox move Dejong and Lopez at the deadline, Moncada, Sosa, Mendick, Ramos, Shewmake, and even Baldwin should be able to cover the IF spots for the balance of 24. 

I’ve been saying this too about Baldwin. You can give him a shot before the guys with higher ceiling get a chance because he doesn’t have the ceiling of a guy you worry about the service time/control. Give him a shot before Colson. He’s earned it. And then let him move to another spot once Colson is ready.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That series they got swept at the end of 2022 by the Guardians was REALLY the end, although most Sox fans were at least SOMEWHAT optimistic going into 2023 because of the possibility of better player health and the replacement of TLR...but we were almost universally correct about being skeptical on that one.  It's usually a bad sign when a guy's own organization doesn't have enough faith in him.  Kind of the same thing with Sandy Alomar, Jr., in Cleveland.   

Some just don't have the drive and determination to deal with the modern day player in a more proactive way, or simply to put in the long hours and deal with incessant travel for 7 1/2 months of the year, and an extra 3 weeks for the post-season.

Call it the Gabe Kapler-ization, Joe Maddon or Terry Francona after he left BOS approach.  The opposite of "old school" which Grifol pretty much defines.  Even Grifol's best friend Eduardo Perez is much more forward thinking from a media-oriented perspective.

In the end, Anderson let fame and women go to his head and started to believe he was one of the greats of the game, a modern-day Jackie Robinson and basically his "s%*# didn't stink."  He didn't put in the time and effort to keep improving on defense.  He hit so well over a 3 year stretch that he thought it was just like riding a bike and he didn't have to put the work in there, either.  When you believe you're indispensable to the franchise, you tend to start getting a feeling of entitlement and nobody was every able to really get in his face like an Abreu, Cueto or Pham type of leader and get through to him about the consequences of living a wild life on the road, going out all the time, not living the "clean" dedicated/committed Ohtani way...the guy who's always out there thinking of ways to improve and hone his craft every single day on earth until he retires.

Kind of judgmental. His issues were not uncommon. People seem fixated on them. 

Colson Montgomery has to be added to the 40-man this winter. If he was added in late August and brought up for a September cup of coffee, he wouldn't burn an option, and the 30-40 days service time would not really dent his 6 years of control. If he made the parent club any time after May, 2025, they still have a full 6 years after that. 

Brooks Baldwin doesn't need to be added until the winter of 2025-26. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I would bet on their being absolutely zero chance Montgomery comes up this year. 

I hope you're right. Make him earn it. He hasn't yet.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This guy Infers racism in like 50+ percent of his posts. 

No, you are inferring it from his posts. He would be conferring it, if that is indeed the case. Inference is done by the recipient

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bo Jackson called him a selfish prick and a douchebag.  Sox fans have a history of booing players that look like Frank.  That goes back decades.  Call it racism, or deserved somehow, but it is true.

Damn I did’t realize Bo was so racist

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

No, you are inferring it from his posts. He would be conferring it, if that is indeed the case. Inference is done by the recipient

I thought imply was what the speaker does to suggest an unstated truth or logical consequence. 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

I hope you're right. Make him earn it. He hasn't yet.

I think fans have put unreal expectations on Montgomery, not the Sox. As we've discussed on the minor league board, he's a 22nd pick who's 3 years removed from high school. Sox fans need to hit the breaks and let the kid work.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Colson Montgomery has to be added to the 40-man this winter. If he was added in late August and brought up for a September cup of coffee, he wouldn't burn an option, and the 30-40 days service time would not really dent his 6 years of control. If he made the parent club any time after May, 2025, they still have a full 6 years after that. 

Brooks Baldwin doesn't need to be added until the winter of 2025-26. 

What do you mean it wouldn’t dent his control? If the Sox call Colson up this season, they lose a year of control unless they option him out of ST next season and keep him in AAA for an extra month. Just leave him in AAA until June 2025, or later. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

6 years of control is 6 full seasons. He has to be added to the 40-man this winter, anyway. If he's added in September and brought up to the parent club through the end of the season, he still has 6 full seasons of control, and 3 options. 

If Monty is put on the 40-man this winter, he still has 6 years of control and 3 options. The only difference is the number of days he's on the major league roster this season, they would have to hold him in AAA longer than that amount of time to maintain 6 full years of control after the 2025 season. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What do you mean it wouldn’t dent his control? If the Sox call Colson up this season, they lose a year of control unless they option him out of ST next season and keep him in AAA for an extra month. Just leave him in AAA until June 2025, or later. 

I messed up quoting you for the notification. 

People are using the phrase "start his clock" but Monty's clock is going to be started regardless of whether it's in September or December. If he's brought up in September, they'll just have to hold him back next year, starting him out in AAA just to make sure he doesn't burn a full year of control before 2026. 

Edited by WestEddy