Tim Anderson DFA'd by Marlins

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Because he wasn't. Its the poster who posts on message boards although he thinks message boards are stupid, and supposedly is a Sox fan although he thinks Sox fans suck.

And he got it from his dad because he was too young to know anything but thinks he knows more than you who was an adult during the era and went to 80% of the games.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I know lifetime Sox fans who hated Big Frank. Thought he was selfish, and bought into all the bad clubhouse guy BS. 

Obviously this is not apples to apples. My sister works at a big n tall store that Frank frequently...uhh...frequented, or used to anyway when he was more big and tall than he is now.

She said Frank is always one of her nicest customers and given has given her autographed memorabilia.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Was this the torn Achilles' season when he didn't play almost the entire season and David Wells was acquired for Sirotka?

Jose Canseco adventures (he was actually surprisingly effective that year) in the outfield occasionally.

This may be what you are remembering:

September 6, 1999 - In a double header at Texas, manager Jerry Manuel and star DH Frank Thomas got into an argument after Thomas refused to pinch hit in the second game. Manuel was livid and sent Thomas back to Chicago. Thomas had pinch hit in the first game and struck out.

It was discovered after examination by team doctors that Thomas saying he was hurt rang true. They found a bone spur the size of a walnut on the outside of his ankle which required surgery and ended his season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Respecting a player also means accepting when it’s time to move on, and unfortunately you never come to that realization 

So as long as a player is producing all is fine. But a player who put the team on the map, on his back for many years so to speak, can be booed when his production dips. Moral of the story: Produce and you will be cheered; produce for many years then start to reek and you will be booed. It all boils down to the mantra of sports that will remain forever: Just.Win.Baby.

Edited by greg775

8 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I’m not taking sides I’m just saying it’s not just fans who didn’t get along with the guy.  Both Manuel and Williams had public feuds with him and the fans see this in the paper.  The OP acts like fans boo in a vacuum.  Sometimes true, not in Frank’s case.

Fans who booed Big Frank out of town, let me ask you, do you have any all time favorites? Or are you all grumps like the Randy Quaid character in Major League? In my mind you can't consider a guy a favorite if you ever booed him publicly. Pete Ward hit .240 in the 60s but was some kids' idol. If they wound up booing him out of town they can no longer claim him as an idol. Sometimes players deserve support no matter what. Big Frank in my mind deserved that support, ditto guys like Robin, Richie Zisk, Dick Allen, Abreu, and in my case Chet Lemon. Why boo a legend in Frank Thomas?

I still remember being at Big Franks first game back with the A's.  First HR he hit the crowd absolutely went insane.  The second one, most there still cheered it, but it wasn't as loud as the first one that he hit.

Sometimes legends get booed.  Right or not, deserved or not, it happens.  Sports fans gonna sport fan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

So as long as a player is producing all is fine. But a player who put the team on the map, on his back for many years so to speak, can be booed when his production dips. Moral of the story: Produce and you will be cheered; produce for many years then start to reek and you will be booed. It all boils down to the mantra of sports that will remain forever: Just.Win.Baby.

This is word salad buddy.  Have a good one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fans who booed Big Frank out of town, let me ask you, do you have any all time favorites? Or are you all grumps like the Randy Quaid character in Major League? In my mind you can't consider a guy a favorite if you ever booed him publicly. Pete Ward hit .240 in the 60s but was some kids' idol. If they wound up booing him out of town they can no longer claim him as an idol. Sometimes players deserve support no matter what. Big Frank in my mind deserved that support, ditto guys like Robin, Richie Zisk, Dick Allen, Abreu, and in my case Chet Lemon. Why boo a legend in Frank Thomas?

Why don’t you write Jerry Manuel and ask him to hu he chased Thomas out of town?  Or ask Kenny Williams why he called Thomas an ass?  You act like fans are the only people doing this for no reason and here you have people close to him who don’t like him.  Doesn’t that provide you any clues at all?

False.  Ozzie Guillen was cheered at the end when he was diminished.  Carlton Fisk.  Paul Konerko.  Jose Abreu.  Harold Baines.  You make these blanket statements that have no basis in reality.  

One difference.  The aforementioned never antagonized managers.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to go out into LF... But if we do trade DeJong, and get Moncada back healthy, I would be OK with bringing back Tim to run at SS, and put Lenyn at 2B instead of Nicky.

Same. No one else to play really. Wouldn’t be totally shocked if some team grabbed Nicky at the deadline for a bench pierce either. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

This guy Infers racism in like 50+ percent of his posts.  Glad to see other people are realizing it now.

I don’t recall Frank being booed.  If Anderson got booed, it’s because he sucks.  And he probably sucks because he is worried about his shrunken paycheck going to all of his side pieces cuz he’s apparently never heard of pulling out.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1