SouthSideSox's staff leaves SouthSideSox

https://www.southsidesox.com/2024/7/2/24190537/some-changes-for-our-south-side-sox-writers-fans-first-sports-network-chicago-white-sox

They certainly do a lot of work, there. I feel the analysis has become meh since Jim Margalus left SBN. The minor league prospect coverage is good, if they didn't roll out one write-up at a time, starting with the 100th highest prospect in the system. 

Third time's the charm. 

Was anybody a fan?

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2024/7/2/24190537/some-changes-for-our-south-side-sox-writers-fans-first-sports-network-chicago-white-sox

They certainly do a lot of work, there. I feel the analysis has become meh since Jim Margalus left SBN. The minor league prospect coverage is good, if they didn't roll out one write-up at a time, starting with the 100th highest prospect in the system. 

Third time's the charm. 

Was anybody a fan?

Outside of Sox machine they all run together for me. Could not tell you who writes where or what witty phrase they are replacing the word Sox/sex with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

Outside of Sox machine they all run together for me. Could not tell you who writes where or what witty phrase they are replacing the word Sox/sex with. 

Everybody does the same things, now, too. Morning after minor league recaps, game threads, game recaps. They try to be too jokey, and it gets tiresome. James Fegan and Jim Margalus do a great job at SoxMachine. FutureSox is great too, when they actually write articles. 

• Thanks 1

I'm also guessing the sheer ineptness on and off the field has made coverage and readership of the Sox perhaps at its lowest point since the late 60's - 1970 for both mainstream and internet media.

As Charlie Finley once said (talking about Bill Veeck's ownership) "You can't ballyhoo a funeral..."

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Third time's the charm. 

Was anybody a fan?

Let's see you write about this god awful org with any effort or enthusiasm on a regular basis, and then we'll see whose analysis is meh or too jokey.

For Jim Margalus and James Fegan, it's their full time gig and they can dedicate all of their energy to it. For the rest it's a side gig making pennies. 

Maybe educate yourself before casting dispersions on the many dedicated people who care to put for the effort covering this fucking abomination of a franchise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Let's see you write about this god awful org with any effort or enthusiasm on a regular basis, and then we'll see whose analysis is meh or too jokey.

For Jim Margalus and James Fegan, it's their full time gig and they can dedicate all of their energy to it. For the rest it's a side gig making pennies. 

Maybe educate yourself before casting dispersions on the many dedicated people who care to put for the effort covering this fucking abomination of a franchise.

Calm down, dude. I get to have an opinion. 

I have actually tried writing there. SBN wanted as much video as possible, so writing an article meant carving it up and making videos of it. Tons of work. 

p.s. I believe the word you want is aspersions. Dispersion means distributing over an area. 

Edited by WestEddy

57 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Everybody does the same things, now, too. Morning after minor league recaps, game threads, game recaps. They try to be too jokey, and it gets tiresome. James Fegan and Jim Margalus do a great job at SoxMachine. FutureSox is great too, when they actually write articles. 

I’d love to produce more written content at FutureSox. I just have a family and a career and we can’t really pay anyone. It is what it is. I still break stories ahead of people who are actually paid to cover the team occasionally though. That’s always fun. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d love to produce more written content at FutureSox. I just have a family and a career and we can’t really pay anyone. It is what it is. I still break stories ahead of people who are actually paid to cover the team occasionally though. That’s always fun. 

Tnet came with a big reaction, so maybe it's the way I wrote it. I love and appreciate the work you guys do, and SoxMachine. Other blogs, like Soxon35th, SSS, aren't really my style, that's all. It is time-consuming just to research the simplest of concepts to write about. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Calm down, dude. I get to have an opinion. 

I have actually tried writing there. SBN wanted as much video as possible, so writing an article meant carving it up and making videos of it. Tons of work. 

p.s. I believe the word you want is aspersions. Dispersion means distributing over an area. 

Agreed that all Sox articles have to have some level of snark.  The funny thing is that it’s pretty much jumped the shark these days since it’s now universally known what a terrible owner Reinsdorf is.

Jim's writing is nails on a chalkboard to me. Always has been. Even when the Sox were decent. Fegan is awesome. SSS was a shell of itself since the Cheat and Jim left. I played softball with one of their writers awhile ago that was living in Seattle at the time and even back 10 years ago at the height of SB Nation she said she got paid like 25 bucks an article. Oof.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Jim's writing is nails on a chalkboard to me. Always has been. Even when the Sox were decent. Fegan is awesome. SSS was a shell of itself since the Cheat and Jim left. I played softball with one of their writers awhile ago that was living in Seattle at the time and even back 10 years ago at the height of SB Nation she said she got paid like 25 bucks an article. Oof.

Yeah, Brett's tried to supplement that. SBN is not a good partner. 

• Like 1

I am not 100% sure but if SBN also had the SS Mariners it was comedy gold. The Sox, even with bad teams, would go out to Seattle and beat the hapless M's. It was like what the A's/Angels did to the Sox on west coast trips (and still do). The Sox had the M's number, and I would read the SS Mariners game thread, hilarious!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

I am not 100% sure but if SBN also had the SS Mariners it was comedy gold. The Sox, even with bad teams, would go out to Seattle and beat the hapless M's. It was like what the A's/Angels did to the Sox on west coast trips (and still do). The Sox had the M's number, and I would read the SS Mariners game thread, hilarious!!

Lookout Landing? That guy went on to write for Fangraphs. (Jeff Sullivan?) Grant Brisbee from McCovey Chronicles was also great. They had a feature area called Breaking Maddon, or something. The writer would make all the players on one team 5'8"/120 lbs, then play them against another team. The game would inevitably break from the scoring. He'd do screen caps?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Lookout Landing? That guy went on to write for Fangraphs. (Jeff Sullivan?) Grant Brisbee from McCovey Chronicles was also great. They had a feature area called Breaking Maddon, or something. The writer would make all the players on one team 5'8"/120 lbs, then play them against another team. The game would inevitably break from the scoring. He'd do screen caps?

That's it, Lookout Landing ;)