Sox at Guards Jo Noah was right about Cleveland game thread 7/2

Look, I understand everyone is arguing about the optics of that Robert meaningless play.   A play he had like a .0009% chance of throwing a fast runner out on.  Big deal, this team is headed to 120 losses.   

Maybe Kopech bouncing a pitch  just beyond the mound is a bigger deal to me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Look, I understand everyone is arguing about the optics of that Robert meaningless play.   A play he had like a .0009% chance of throwing a fast runner out on.  Big deal, this team is headed to 120 losses.   

Maybe Kopech bouncing a pitch  just beyond the mound is a bigger deal to me. 

Not much you can do when you catch a cleat but why does that even happen ? Either way the runner goes to 3rd. You don't throw it and its a balk. At that point maybe you could try to not throw a wild pitch by lobbing it but that would take some pretty fast thinking.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not much you can do when you catch a cleat but why does that even happen ? Either way the runner goes to 3rd. You don't throw it and its a balk. At that point maybe you could try to not throw a wild pitch by lobbing it but that would take some pretty fast thinking.

Outside of that guy being able to throw a ball 100 mph, there is nothing the surprises me anymore on how every aspect of being pitcher fails him.   

Are people really bitching about a guy not making a 0% chance throw in a meaningless game on July 2nd with a team 40 games under .500? Come on people, who gives a f***. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And he did. Told the reporter who asked he was making something out of nothing.

Good more insightful question would’ve been to ask why he pinch hit for Korey Lee.  Of course he would probably just start waxing poetic about Maldonado again.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was wondering about that. Figured it was just something I was missing. But yea, makes perfect sense.

45 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Not to mention if we went to extras he would have been the ghost runner

Forgot about that one.  Maldonado is probably the slowest runner in MLB and the heaviest.  Would have taken a triple or a homer to score him from second.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, T R U said:

Are people really bitching about a guy not making a 0% chance throw in a meaningless game on July 2nd with a team 40 games under .500? Come on people, who gives a f***. 

My thoughts exactly. It would be like getting mad at a guy for not sprinting out a popup for the final out of the game. It's meaningless. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres

“This would have been a really good one, coming back twice and being able to steal this one,” Grifol said. “We’ve got to be able to clean those things up.” ?

It's July 2nd Pedro, you aren't cleaning anything up with these buffoons. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

My thoughts exactly. It would be like getting mad at a guy for not sprinting out a popup for the final put of the game. It's meaningless. 

Listen, if this team was even remotely competitive maybe I’d have a different tune, but this season has been over since 25 games in. Robert making an impossible throw just doesn’t even matter at this point. 

If he hit a grounder and didn’t run, that’s a different story. This, there was no chance whatsoever to throw that guy out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Nice job by Robert getting behind that ball.  Such a pathetic effort by him once again.

He gets paid a lot of money to play baseball professionally.  He should have made the throw regardless.  Robert is just looking like he is going thru the motions out there.  Whatis Pedro doing about that?  No respect.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“This would have been a really good one, coming back twice and being able to steal this one,” Grifol said. “We’ve got to be able to clean those things up.” ?

It's July 2nd Pedro, you aren't cleaning anything up with these buffoons. 

Pedro did not help tonight by pinch hitting Pham for Lee late in the game and bringing in Maldonado our hitter below .0100, and hitting in the ninth inning on a tied game.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

He gets paid a lot of money to play baseball professionally.  He should have made the throw regardless.  Robert is just looking like he is going thru the motions out there.  Whatis Pedro doing about that?  No respect.

Professional teams concede all the time, you just want him to throw just because? There was no play. 

Lenyn's OPS is above .600.  Time for him to switch spots with Benintendi and his .537 OPS in the lineup.  Let's see how Lenyn does with better pitches out of the 2 hole.
And keep Robert leading off.

The Sox are just what the doc ordered for Cleveland's Guardians. We make teams well.

I have two questions: 1.) Is Sosa good? Is this guy a pivotal piece? 2.) Do we now love Vaughn and figure he's finally figured it all out? He's almost to .250 and slugging HRs. He's a likeable chap so I am rooting for Vaughn. Now I'll read how we lost this one. I haven't checked anything but the box score so far.

Cleveland announcers a bit baffled Robert didn't "even bother" to throw home on the pop fly that won the game. A bad look if anything. Mabe Robert felt as if he'd pull something if he fired a throw home. Bad optics anyway.

58 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

That one might deserve a fine. Or have him sit a game to think about it. What if the runner stumbles?? He didn't even toss it home.

2 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I am now in the #TradeRobert camp. f*** that lazy s%*#. At least setup and make the throw. Not only for the practice because you always catch the ball flatfooted but what about the miniscule chance he trips or leaves the bag early???

Also it was a close, 'good' game. Competitors like Pete Rose make that throw. I'd love to hear some old time baseballer talk about Robert not throwing. Again, very bad optics. There's always a chance the runner falls or leaves early or misses the plate. Weird way to end a close game against the division leaders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Also it was a close, 'good' game. Competitors like Pete Rose make that throw. I'd love to hear some old time baseballer talk about Robert not throwing. Again, very bad optics. There's always a chance the runner falls or leaves early or misses the plate. Weird way to end a close game against the division leaders.

Agree with everything aside from “good”… DeJong‘s error was a big oof moment.

3 hours ago, T R U said:

Professional teams concede all the time, you just want him to throw just because? There was no play. 

It’s not the fact that he didn’t throw. Based on how he caught it, he had 0% chance to throw him out. But I can’t fathom how somebody playing a competitive sport (professional or not) doesn’t sprint behind that ball and come in with full momentum and heave it home. I’ve played enough sports in my life, and I’m a very competitive person, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I was in CF, that play would have looked a lot differently, regardless of how unlikely it was to get him out. 

• Like 1