Grifol surprisingly defends Robert, annoys more Sox fans...must be trying to create any "supportive good vibes" possible before a trade?

Posted (edited)

Naylor said he wasn't surprised Robert didn't try to get Giménez.

“A guy like Gimi with elite speed, it’s definitely going to be a tough play,” said Naylor, who had a walk-off hit against the White Sox earlier this season. “But I knew that once I got it up there, I had all the confidence in my guy to make it there."

Robert, who hit a two-run homer and drove in four runs, said he had no chance of getting Giménez.

That's probably true, but not making any attempt to keep the Guardians from winning, was not a great look either.

White Sox manager Pedro Grifol, who was ejected in the seventh for arguing, defended Robert's decision not to make a throw.

“He's playing in. He (was) going back (on the ball),” said Grifol. “Even if he runs back and comes in, there's no play there. If we're going to dissect that, we're making something out of nothing. You're not going to throw that guy out from there.”

Bo Naylor's sac fly in 9th sends AL Central-leading Guardians to 7-6 win over lowly White Sox - Yahoo Sports

Edited by caulfield12

• caulfield12 changed the title to Grifol surprisingly defends Robert, annoys more Sox fans...must be trying to create any "supportive good vibes" possible before a trade?
Posted (edited)

This blip keeps hitting me like Grifol was thrown out arguing that Robert was right to not make the throw.

Which would be fun, umpires throwing out a manager yelling that "my guy doesn't have to throw out a runner in the bottom of the 9th, tagging up!!!" And the umpires are like, "Sir, this is a Wendy's". 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The ball wasn’t all that deep, a Roberto Clemente or a Rocky Colovito throw would have got the runner at home plate. Robert might have but he was flat footed on the play, he should have run further back and then come in on the ball but that’s Robert. The Cleveland announcers couldn’t believe there wasn’t a throw.
The game was basically over when Kopech tripped all over himself allowing the runner to get to third, can we just DFA this guy.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The ball wasn’t all that deep, a Roberto Clemente or a Rocky Colovito throw would have got the runner at home plate. Robert might have but he was flat footed on the play, he should have run further back and then come in on the ball but that’s Robert. The Cleveland announcers couldn’t believe there wasn’t a throw.
The game was basically over when Kopech tripped all over himself allowing the runner to get to third, can we just DFA this guy.

It sounded like even Schriffen was surprised, and he doesn't even know how baseball works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Cleveland announcers couldn’t believe there wasn’t a throw.

“Is it deep enough to score the run? Yes”

The announcer knew that run was scoring.

Robert should have positioned himself better and got off a throw. 99 times in 100 he’s safe.

Just shows how little these guys care and having what… 24 wins on the season… I don’t blame them for not caring.

Get Robert on a contending team and we’ll see his talent really start to shine. It sucks but it is what it is.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It was deep. Robert had no chance. It still wasn't a good look to not at least attempt the throw.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There was little chance, but he needs to make an effort. Sorry, he could fall down or pull a hammy. It is probably making a bigger deal out of it than it shoujld, but its no better than if he hit a  routine grounder to SS and walked back to the dugout instead of running it out.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Robert probably had the same thought we all had from the beginning of the inning.  Once Kopech let the first batter reach, we all knew the game was over.  Sure, he should have thrown the ball, but do we care?  Not really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's always a chance the runner is ruled out for leaving early, or two, slips and falls down somewhere along the way, or three, Gimenez doesn't go full bore, assuming the Sox aren't even going to attempt to throw him out.

• Like 1

I saw Robert do the same thing, making a catch in similar circumstances, just recently.  He does a poor job of to setting up to throw.                                                                                   This team has poor fundamentals.  

• Like 1

Not particularly excited about part 2 but often feel like every player from rebuild one has an embedded loserdom attached to them, most pronounced in kopech.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Robert probably had the same thought we all had from the beginning of the inning.  Once Kopech let the first batter reach, we all knew the game was over.  Sure, he should have thrown the ball, but do we care?  Not really.

Once Kopech went to pieces after the ump missed a strike three call is when I figured it was done.

Maybe don't groove it down the middle, to the one of the Naylor boys, who have made the Sox their whipping boy almost every time they are at the plate? Maybe that was a bigger issue?

image.png

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@caulfield12 - I got nothing but love for you, but you really need a thread title editor.

Well, we're lucky if our coaches are even known/identifiable to Robert...so the true diehards around here that are still sticking in there have a BIT more patience than normal, lol.

16 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Maybe don't groove it down the middle, to the one of the Naylor boys, who have made the Sox their whipping boy almost every time they are at the plate? Maybe that was a bigger issue?

image.png

One can almost hear "center cut" in Hawk voice.

Self-induced.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One can almost hear "center cut" in Hawk voice.

Self-induced.

Goodness, I didn't even look at that graphic close enough....how in the world was pitch 3 AND 4 a ball? I didn't watch the game, admittedly, only followed on Gameday.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Goodness, I didn't even look at that graphic close enough....how in the world was pitch 3 AND 4 a ball? I didn't watch the game, admittedly, only followed on Gameday.

He had lost his concentration by that point.  He had a strike three not called, and then threw two pitches away in sequence.  He was just trying to throw a strike and Naylor was waiting.

There was 0 chance Robert was going to get him.  Outfielders are positioned in that point of the game where their arm can get there.  Robert had to go back and to his left to make the catch.

If he gets hurt on that throw, all of you would be bitching why he made that throw.  Stop making it a bigger deal than it was.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Not particularly excited about part 2 but often feel like every player from rebuild one has an embedded loserdom attached to them, most pronounced in kopech.

if you think about it the loser mentality permeates the entire organization from top to bottom all areas, all departments since the start of the 2007 year.